Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Lyman 1886 Tang sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 27, 2017 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

What’s the difference between a Lyman tang sight marked with an “N” and one marked with “NI” ? I know the “NI” is for a 33 caliber. But is it alright to put a “NI” sight on an 1886 that isn’t a 33 caliber ? Would it work okay ?  Also, were early Lyman’s not stamped with any letter underneath the base ?  Thanks, Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.

All gave some, some gave all.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
January 27, 2017 - 11:48 pm

A “N” or “NI” will fit any 86 or any Winchester for that matter since the hole spacing is the same but once its on no one will be able to tell the difference. You could also use a “S” marked one for a single shot as well. There might be a difference in staff height, I have never compared them but they will work. As far as code marks on the bottom. I have seen Lyman sights that are not marked but those tend to be sights that have patent dates on the base in the 73 sights. The 86 sights I have seen, all had code marks as I recall. The earlier thick base tang sights had the model designation stamped on the spring, either 73 or 76.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 28, 2017 - 12:22 am

The difference between the NI and N sights for the Model 1886 is the lowest and total elevation of the shaft.  The 33 WCF had a much flatter trajectory than a 45-90, for instance, so the NI probably isn’t suited for the big calibers at longer ranges and the NI isn’t suited for the large calibers at short ranges.  Also, the 1886’s bolt is much longer than the other lever actions so tang sights for any other model will get bumped when the lever is lowered on an 1886.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 38
January 28, 2017 - 1:29 am

Thanks Guy’s, Just what I needed to know. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.

All gave some, some gave all.

Doug Bohman
WACA Guest
March 13, 2020 - 1:14 am

This is going to seem like a dumb question, but I’m new to lever actions and tang sights. The tang sights I’ve seen on the internet for the 1886 (mine is a 40 year old Browning made by Miroku) have two mounting holes. The tang on my rifle has only one hole. Do you have to drill a hole in the tang to mount the sight? Yikes, that scares me. Help me understand what I need to do to mount a tang sight please. Thanks.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
March 13, 2020 - 4:07 am

Doug Bohman said
This is going to seem like a dumb question, but I’m new to lever actions and tang sights. The tang sights I’ve seen on the internet for the 1886 (mine is a 40 year old Browning made by Miroku) have two mounting holes. The tang on my rifle has only one hole.

The second point of attachment is the upper tang screw.  With the original sights, a special screw having a small head to fit into the tang sight base was provided with the sight, but the factory screw may be long enough to go through the base into the lower tang by a couple of threads.  Or you can find the correct small head screw (repros) on ebay. 

NY
WACA Member
March 13, 2020 - 4:09 am

Wincacher said
Also, the 1886’s bolt is much longer than the other lever actions so tang sights for any other model will get bumped when the lever is lowered on an 1886.  

So get a Marbles’ “Flexible” & don’t worry about it.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 13, 2020 - 4:12 am

You will have to drill another hole in the upper tang.  Any good gunsmith that is familiar with the model 1886, can do the correct hole spacing and thread the new hole.  However, you should know that the Browning ’86 has a very long marking on the upper tang.  The new hole must be drilled through part of that marking.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
March 13, 2020 - 2:01 pm

Doug Bohman said
This is going to seem like a dumb question, but I’m new to lever actions and tang sights. The tang sights I’ve seen on the internet for the 1886 (mine is a 40 year old Browning made by Miroku) have two mounting holes. The tang on my rifle has only one hole. Do you have to drill a hole in the tang to mount the sight? Yikes, that scares me. Help me understand what I need to do to mount a tang sight please. Thanks.  

The sights with two holes that you are looking at were not made for the replica Japanese Winchesters.  Marble’s makes a sight for the imported Model 1886 with only 1 hole in it.  No need to butcher your specimen and lower its value.     https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005875584

1876-4-1.jpg

NY
WACA Member
March 13, 2020 - 3:25 pm

Wincacher said

The sights with two holes that you are looking at were not made for the replica Japanese Winchesters.  Marble’s makes a sight for the imported Model 1886 with only 1 hole in it. 

It was extreme carelessness or ignorance to omit the tang sight screw hole, & still call it a “Model 1886”; or did Browning assume these would be “collector’s items” no one was actually going to shoot?

Doug Bohman
WACA Guest
March 13, 2020 - 3:39 pm

Thank guys. Appreciate the feedback very much!

New Mexico
WACA Guest
March 13, 2020 - 3:46 pm

Don’t know about “carelessness” and have never handled a non-genuine Winchester but I believe the reason for the one hole tang is that they were required by new safety regulations to put a safety on the tang and this precluded the use of a tang sight.  Not sure if this applies to the Model 1886.

1876-4-1.jpg

NY
WACA Member
March 13, 2020 - 5:07 pm

Wincacher said
Don’t know about “carelessness” and have never handled a non-genuine Winchester but I believe the reason for the one hole tang is that they were required by new safety regulations to put a safety on the tang and this precluded the use of a tang sight.   

A safety?  That’s far more off-putting than omitting the screw hole.  Who’d want one configured that way, unless Browning was just about giving them away…which I suspect is far from true.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 14, 2020 - 11:47 pm

Winchester model 1886 (Japan) have the tang safety, Browning model 1886 do not.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., rogertherelic, Edward Kitner, LeverGunner
Guest(s) 203
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261