Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1946 Model 94 unique rear sight elevation plate
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kelly Hueftle
WACA Guest
September 4, 2022 - 5:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently saw a 1946 Model 94 with a unique rear sight elevation plate.  It had a hole versus a notch in the elevation adjustment plate.  Is this unique/rare, or is it an aftermarket item.  I also noticed the single screw used to secure the plate is worn.  Does anyone sell replacements for the original (correct) elevation plate and holding screw?

1946 94 rear sight

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 4, 2022 - 5:41 pm

Hello Kelly,

From your description, it is most likely an aftermarket sight.  Send a picture of it to me at – [email protected]

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
September 4, 2022 - 6:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Rear-sight-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Definitely not factory original, and I suspect it was hand-made.  It will most likely be easier to find a complete rear sight with the correct adjustable sight notch plate in it.  They come up for sale on ebay quite frequently.

Bert

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
September 4, 2022 - 6:11 pm

Definitely homemade, its a lot thicker than the original. I have made them to replace a missing or modified ones. The hard part is finding the right thickness steel to start with but now I have a surface grinder.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 4, 2022 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Definitely not factory original, and I suspect it was hand-made.  It will most likely be easier to find a complete rear sight with the correct adjustable sight notch plate in it.  They come up for sale on ebay quite frequently.

Bert

Replace a unique, hand-made (& well-made from what I can see) sight with a garden-variety factory sight?  No appreciation for some past owner’s imaginative tinkering?  The idea, obviously, was to combine a peep sight with a conventional barrel sight, which doesn’t work well optically because the distance of the orifice from the eye handicaps the eye’s natural tendency to center the front sight in the aperture.  (Though it took US Ordnance several decades, through a series of flawed service rifle sights, to recognize that fact.)  Replacing that sight carries the principal of “originality” to an unthinking extreme. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291