Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 SRC Rear Sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 29
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2019 - 4:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The sliding portion of the rear sight on my 1895 Winchester SRC is much wider than the long range scale it is attached to and can be moved left and right. This, and the fact that it has windage markings suggests that it’s adjustable for windage. However, there is nothing preventing it from tilting unevenly when adjusted and there is no center reference line anywhere on the sight assembly. This suggests that it is not original and/or correct. I can find no photo or parts diagram anywhere online that shows what a correct ’95 SRC rear sight should look like.IMG_2970.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
April 11, 2019 - 7:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ronald,

I was hoping someone who follows sights closer than I do would respond.  If Brad jumps in, he is likely more knowledgeable in this than I am.  I will say, though, that I think you have a rear barrel sight that is cludged together.  Seems to me the graduations on the staff are closer together than on the carbine sights I have for reference.  Also, as you picked out, the actual vee style sight on my reference carbines does not have the windage reference marks.  It reminds me more of a musket sight than a carbine sight.  The hole spacing for the base was supposedly unique to the carbine.  You might pull the sight and see if the sight has been somewhat modified to allow the screws to go into the barrel, or if the barrel has been modified.  However with the buggered up screws visible in the picture, I am thinking the staff and vee or aperture has been grafted on to a carbine base or perhaps, just perhaps, a modified Krag base.  Again, I do not spend a great amount of time on the sights, so others may well have more info or a totally differing opinion.

Tim

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
April 11, 2019 - 10:45 pm

Ronald,

What you have there is a Winchester 50A for the 95 musket and carbine. They are windage adjustable but they one pictures has been messed with. It should have another part that has the center mark below the windage hash marks and I would guess that part would keep the slider square to the staff.

Bob

50a-sight.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 29
May 1, 2019 - 5:41 pm

Thanks to Tim and Bob for responding.

It’s a shame that the rear sight is not correct because the rest of the SRC is in excellent shape.

As suggested, I removed the ’95 sight which revealed a beat-up dovetail (see attached photo). Is this normal?

I contacted Turnbull restoration to see if they could help. Their response was that ’95 Winchester sights are as “scare as hen’s teeth.” Frown

Not sure if I have any options. I tried shimming the sliding V-notch so it would remain tightly in place but that results in raising the V-notch too high, even at it’s lowest position.

IMG_3095-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Posts: 956
May 1, 2019 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Ron

I can’t see the photo you attached for some reason.  Here are images of some typical 50 series Model 1895 Musket and Carbine sights.

The 50-A is generally found on the Second Model Muskets and Carbines prior to the Russian Contract Muskets of WWI.  Like Bob says, it looks like it is what your Carbine has:

24.JPGImage Enlarger

The 50-B came out for the WWI Russian Muskets, with elevation adjustment and increments marked out to 32 and changed to represent Russian arshins, or also noted as representing the Russian standard pace of 28 inches, as written in the Madis Sight Book.  

25.pngImage Enlarger

The later 50-B, also called a 50-C, is typically found on Carbines after WWI, it went back to using the ladder marked to 18, but has the new sighting leaf and base styles adopted with the 50-B Russian Musket sight:

20.JPGImage Enlarger

There are also some 50 series Musket and Carbine sight variations that are not in any of the books or records I have seen so far.  We show some images of those in the book as well.  The NRA Muskets have a little different set up.

If you are still looking for a sight, you could try Mike Richard, who advertises in the business card ads in the back of The Winchester Collector :

[email protected]

Good Luck Hombre

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: wally
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)