Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 takedown sights
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Central Kansas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 195
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 24, 2021 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have a reasonably nice 38-40 that shoots good tight groups. The sights however are sketchy at best. The rear sight, I believe is a late one and looks out of place on #37321 (1894). The Marbles #3 on the front is acceptable save for the partially missing bead which makes for difficult p.o.a. shooting. I have a 3 leaf express that suits the condition, & I think the date, that I’m considering installing. Is it correct for the model and date? I also have a front sight I haven’t ID’d that has been filed down on the top of the sides that I’d rather not use. It’s possibly a sheard marked No. 5 on the bottom. I’d like a correct sight instead. Suggestions/comments? 

92-37321-rear-sight.jpgImage Enlarger92-37321-front-sight.jpgImage Enlarger3-leaf-express.jpgImage Enlargerfront-sight-1.jpgImage Enlargerfront-sight-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Thanks in advance,

Darrin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
October 24, 2021 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Your rear sight is not a Winchester buckhorn sight.  If it were me I’d put Winchester sights on both front and rear.

Central Kansas
WACA Member
October 24, 2021 - 9:34 pm

Chuck said
Your rear sight is not a Winchester buckhorn sight.  If it were me I’d put Winchester sights on both front and rear.  

My thoughts Chuck. I’m looking for them.

Darrin

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 27, 2021 - 3:44 pm

Just an observation:  The rear sight appears to be a later, post 1930’s vintage sight.  It has the blunted front point.  I believe the rear sight for that time period would have serrated edges  on sight “ears”.  The Express sight is shorter in length and won’t cover the probable elevator mark on the barrel.  The elevator appears to be correct for that time period.  Hope this helps.  RDB

Central Kansas
WACA Member
October 27, 2021 - 11:09 pm

rogertherelic said
Just an observation:  The rear sight appears to be a later, post 1930’s vintage sight.  It has the blunted front point.  I believe the rear sight for that time period would have serrated edges  on sight “ears”.  The Express sight is shorter in length and won’t cover the probable elevator mark on the barrel.  The elevator appears to be correct for that time period.  Hope this helps.  RDB  

Point well taken. I will attempt to find the correct sight for both front & rear. May take some time. I do have a watch on ebay.

Darrin 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260
Big Larry: 2346