Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 1, 2022 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Question for Bert,

This is the top tang on my 1885 Winchester 22 low wall. I have a sight that will fit 2 tang bolts but am wondering about 2 small screws. It is obviously set up for tang sight as fitted with folding 2 blade rear sight and no groove in top of receiver. I doubt that it was ever fitted with a tang sight. When my kids go to sell it should it have a tang sight? Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10845
May 1, 2022 - 4:00 pm

Don,

Did you forget to attach pictures?  What is the serial number? What cartridge is it chambered for?  Does it have a No. 2 barrel? 

If it was not originally equipped with a tang sight, it should stay that way unless you intend to shoot it.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
May 1, 2022 - 5:04 pm

Bert, I have sent info to you before but just in case SN 97274, 22 long R, 28″tapered octagon #1barrel, single set trigger, folding 2 leaf rear sight, front jack sight, lettered with nickle butt plate, pistol grip with hard rubber cap, checkered stocks, CF stamped on lower tang along with assembly no. I thought I down loaded picture of tang but I missed something. I will try again. DonP1020890.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10845
May 1, 2022 - 5:14 pm

Don,

I must have forgotten about this rifle. In my defense, I look at several hundred new Winchester rifles & shotguns every single week (in my continuing survey quests), and I cannot remember them all.

Unfortunately, the two extra holes drilled & tapped in the upper tang were a serious mistake by a previous owner.  Why that person simply did not use the existing factory holes is something I fail to understand.  That stated, the damage has been done, and there is little that can be done to fix it (inexpensively).  If it were mine, I most likely would install a correct (“SB” coded) Lyman No. 2A tang sight to cover up the extra holes, and improve it from a shooter’s point of view.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6380
May 1, 2022 - 7:33 pm

Bert H. said   Why that person simply did not use the existing factory holes is something I fail to understand. 

Bert  

That would have meant buying a new sight.  But why drill two when one, using also the factory-drilled hole, would have sufficed?  The spacing looks like it might be for Stevens, 1-1/2″, & most Stevens tang sights had the advantage of a windage adjustment.

WACA Member
May 1, 2022 - 8:10 pm

I just measured between holes centers 1-7/16″. The screws seem very small also. It seems like I have heard of tang sights with that measurement before for something other than Winchester. Don

NY
WACA Member
May 1, 2022 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

86Win said
I just measured between holes centers 1-7/16″. The screws seem very small also. It seems like I have heard of tang sights with that measurement before for something other than Winchester. Don  

Another reason to think it was drilled for a Stevens, as Stevens screws are unusually small–whatever size would mike .125″.  Don’t know what make the 1-7/16″ spacing would be for–nothing common.  So maybe it was just a case of being “off” slightly when it was drilled; the holes in the sight base could be wallowed out enough to make it work.

And Don, if you spend the money for a SB sight, better epoxy the front screw to make sure it would be more trouble than it”s worth to remove it, just in case someone get suspicious about it!

Forum Posts: 2113
May 4, 2022 - 3:44 am

Clarence said

And Don, if you spend the money for a SB sight, better epoxy the front screw to make sure it would be more trouble than it”s worth to remove it, just in case someone get suspicious about it!  

“Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive”

Clarence, I hope you were joking.  😉

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

NY
WACA Member
May 4, 2022 - 4:06 am

JWA said

Clarence, I hope you were joking.  😉

Only half-way.  If the intention is to conceal the damage from some potential buyer, any sight with Winchester spacing will suffice.  Spending the extra dough for an “S” marked sight won’t matter if that buyer is cautious enough to remove it–as I was not, when I bought one with exactly the same problem. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod
Guest(s) 187
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260