Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Thoughts on Lengthening the Forcing Cone in a 1897
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 16, 2018 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Cliff,

Are you referring to a Model 1897 slide-action, or a Model 1887 lever-action ? The Model 1887 was discontinued in the year 1899.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 142
April 16, 2018 - 4:28 pm

Bert, Im sorry..1897.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
April 16, 2018 - 4:35 pm

Do you have any SASS events near you?  If so talk to them.  These guys shoot 97’s and know what needs to be modified.  Most will know a gun smith that works on all of the competition guns.

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 16, 2018 - 4:43 pm

I started this thread again since I goofed up the title. I didnt see an edit button. May a mod can delete it. I dont know of any SASS events near me but, I’ll research it. 

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 16, 2018 - 11:47 pm

Well, since I goofed when I started this thread by referring to my newly acquired 1897 as an 1887, I thought I better explain what I am looking for as far as opinions go. This 1922 1897 12ga is in wonderful mechanical condition although, the finish is browned out. The stocks are nice but I did have to repair the typical cracks on each side of the buttstock where it meets the receiver. I took the gun completely apart to detail clean it and hone any dings or imperfections and it shoots rather well. It does kick like a mule though. I am using extra light Winchester target loads (#9). I plan on hunting quail with this gun so, it will be used.  As you know, the forcing cone is rather abrupt and short in these shotguns and my thoughts are to have the cone lengthened to maybe 1 1/2 to 2″ to relieve some of the back pressure. Is it worth the expense and time to lengthen the forcing cone or should I just leave it alone. All of my local smiths are 2 to 3 months behind and, having a machinist background, I am thinking of ordering the chamber/forcing cone reamer from Brownells and just doing it myself. Anyone here have any opinions? Thanks, Cliff

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
April 17, 2018 - 3:29 am

Cliff,

I don’t see any reason not to give it a try.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 17, 2018 - 5:38 pm

Good enough. I’ll order the tool and report back after shooting it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
April 17, 2018 - 9:09 pm

Like Bert said, I would just shoot it.  Shot mine a lot with no modifications or troubles.

j rod
WACA Guest
April 17, 2018 - 11:30 pm

I lengthen forcing cones using the brownells spiral fluted long forcing cone reamer, leaves a chatter free finish. you should also polish the forcing cone after you lengthen it. 

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
April 18, 2018 - 12:26 pm

I have two 1897’s of the same time period as your gun and never has a problem shooting modern loads ( slugs, buckshot and bird shot ) for about 40 years.

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 18, 2018 - 4:44 pm

So, I measured the chamber depth on the barrel at 2 5/8″. The barrel chamber ring measures about 1/8″ thick. Does that give me the 2 3/4″ chamber size or should I cut the barrel depth to 2 3/4″?

j rod
WACA Guest
April 18, 2018 - 11:37 pm

you add the thickness of the chamber ring so 1/8″ and 2 5/8″ your chamber is to length 

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 24, 2018 - 5:17 pm

Update: I lengthened the forcing cone and slightly deepened the chamber yesterday. I polished the forcing cone, which I cut to 1 1/2″, to a mirror finish. Took a long time. I put 50 shells through it this morning and am happy to report that recoil was cut dramatically. This gun is actually a joy to shoot now. No soreness in my shoulder whatsoever. POA was perfect too. I dont know what the long term outcome will be but for now, I am thrilled with the results.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 24, 2018 - 7:23 pm

Good to hear, Cliff. I don’t shoot my vintage shotguns much but will keep this in mind if the recoil bothers me. I wonder if Winchester ever offered a longer forcing cone.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
April 26, 2018 - 7:37 pm

TXGunNut said
Good to hear, Cliff. I don’t shoot my vintage shotguns much but will keep this in mind if the recoil bothers me. I wonder if Winchester ever offered a longer forcing cone.

Mike  

Cliff Good to hear also. Interesting result. Have you tested the shot pattern also to see if there is a tighter or more even pattern than before the modification.  Thinknthis would be something to consider if I shot my 1897 Trap gun more often.

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 27, 2018 - 12:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Dave, I checked the shot pattern at 15 yards and it wasnt that great. I should have checked it at 30 yards and will in the near future. Here is a picture at 15 yds . Mine has a modified choke. This was using Winchester AA Extra Light Target #8 shot. I think this pattern has more to do with the ammo than with the gun.

Image Enlarger

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
April 27, 2018 - 4:54 pm

Cliff, Thanks for the photo. I have read that lengthening the forcing cone and polishing it well will improve pattern as the rear most shot doesn’t not get distorted by the pressure of the gas and the restriction of the forcing cone.

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
April 28, 2018 - 1:19 am

Dave Kenney said
Cliff, Thanks for the photo. I have read that lengthening the forcing cone and polishing it well will improve pattern as the rear most shot doesn’t not get distorted by the pressure of the gas and the restriction of the forcing cone.  

Sure thing! I wish I had checked the pattern before but, I didnt think about it. It seems like the pattern is about the same but, Im not real sure. I didnt shoot it much before the mod because it kicked too hard. It seems like the pattern is a bit wide for a modified choke at 15 yards but, im no expert.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, tsillik, TXGunNut, morsece, SureShot
Guest(s) 136
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160