Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Nickel plated 1887
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 6, 2023 - 4:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently received a 10 gauge 1887 shotgun which has a nickel finish. Having read every post I can find on this forum it does not seem that nickel plating was ever an option.  My father has been told by a couple gunsmiths over the years that it is factory nickel.  Could it have been a special order? 

Serial

Manufacturer

sideview

It is in OK shape but missing the bead and the stock has been replaced.  Any thoughts on the nickel finish are appreciated. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
January 6, 2023 - 5:16 am

Ronald,

Your Model 1887 does not appear to be Nickel plated to me.  Instead, all of the original finish has been removed from the steel leaving behind bare (raw) steel in the white. It appears that there was some substantial rust pitting on the receiver frame, and to remove most of it, somebody scrubbed the steel as clean as they could get it with something mildly abrasive. 

If Winchester had originally nickel plated it, it would be listed in the factory records, and the CFM records office can (for a fee) provide you with a factory letter that will tell precisely when it was manufactured, and the configuration it left the factory in.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
January 6, 2023 - 5:21 pm

Bert,

Thank you.  It is some good steel then as my father had it hanging on a rack in a rather humid house (in the summer at least) for the last 50 years and it has only rusted on the surface, mostly from finger prints.  The reason I thought it had to be plated was there is no blueing, not even in relatively hidden places such as between the barrel and shell tube. 

Appreciate your time.  I will look into getting the record from CFM.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
January 6, 2023 - 5:36 pm

Ron,

The receiver frame and associated parts were originally case color finished versus being blued. The barrel and magazine tube were originally “rust” blued which can be readily removed.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322