Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1897 Black diamond Grade Pigeon Gun
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 69
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 6, 2022 - 1:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Some years back we got involved in shooting clay birds, my brother and my sister-in-law liked skeet, but I preferred trap. A local gun shop showed me this 1897 and i just had to have it, I probably paid too much but I had a lot of fun busting birds with it. Unfortunately like several others I had to part with this 97.

https://i.imgur.com/0t6KVnV.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/i15CEX2.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/wPJIfKq.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
June 13, 2022 - 2:24 pm

That shotgun brings back memories, year around 1970 my brother and I went hunting upstate NY when done hunting we stopped at some friend’s houses old-timers to say hello, that we knew for years, and hunted on their land, at the last stop we went into the house had some coffee, and a pond leaving there was a broken pump shotgun butt section laying next to to the rest of the shotgun l asked what happen he said shot at fox trying to get into his chicken coup when he fired from the hit he lost grip and it fell to the ground and the butt stock bolt that held it to the receiver broke l knew it was a Winchester but was sure with model my brother offered him 35 dollars and he said it yours.

After getting home we looked it over it was a Winchester 1897 Black Diamond Trap Model no rib, at that time l was into trap shooting and using an Ithaca model 37 Trap. the 97 was heavier but l liked it and shot good with it, went back to shooting my 37 a couple of months later l asked if he wanted to sell it because he was into skeet shooting his answer was l don’t have it anymore l traded it for a Win. either 1200 or 1400 it was an auto skeet Shotgun. The 1897 shotgun was a work of art. You had it for a while like me and enjoyed it for a while.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 69
June 14, 2022 - 3:51 am

This Pigeon Gun had the matted barrels, one barrel was 32 inch full the other 28 cylinder, so I assume it was originally a trap and skeet gun although it may have been purchased as a field gun too.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, tionesta1, Keydet15, tsbccut, Calvin Chaffin, Pwog
Guest(s) 54
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726