Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1897 Shell Latch Screw Size?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 22, 2022 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello fine folks. New to the forum. I’m inquiring on if anyone knows what size Flat head screwdriver tip must be used to remove the Shell latch. The newer vertical variant. Thank you in advance. I’ll be asking A lot of questions as I proceed. Thank you all for this great forum and resource. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 69
May 24, 2022 - 3:43 am

My only 97 is in the back of the safe but iirc a set of jeweler’s screwdrivers is what you need.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
May 25, 2022 - 4:26 pm

I would recommend that anyone that is going to work on old guns buy a set of gunsmith type screwdriver bits.  I have the Brownells 58 Magna bit set and the 18 thin bit set.  I also have a Wheeler set in my range box.  In my opinion individual screw drivers are best but are cost prohibitive.  I hate the ones that have a bulky end or a lock screw that prohibits access to tight places.

WACA Guest
May 26, 2022 - 6:27 pm

Chuck said rnI would recommend that anyone that is going to work on old guns buy a set of gunsmith type screwdriver bits.  I have the Brownells 58 Magna bit set and the 18 thin bit set.  I also have a Wheeler set in my range box.  In my opinion individual screw drivers are best but are cost prohibitive.  I hate the ones that have a bulky end or a lock screw that prohibits access to tight places.rn  rnYep just bought all four sizes of Magna tips. I have tons of gunsmith drivers. Just wanted the correct ones. Found a YouTube video of the exact sizes. Ordered them from brownells. Thank you to all 

WACA Member
May 26, 2022 - 9:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Can’t hardly believe that with all you have you didn’t have the ones you wanted already?  I built my own storage box to hold all I have in one box plus room for about 20 more.  Sometimes I have had to modify one or two.

Hal, next time to want to quote use the ” in the upper right corner.

WACA Guest
May 26, 2022 - 9:57 pm

I’m sorry. Still learning this layout. It’s very odd. Yeah I have tons of wheeler bits but wanted to make sure I had what all the cool kids have and that’s the Magna tips. Lol

WACA Member
May 27, 2022 - 5:06 pm

Komodoj said
I’m sorry. Still learning this layout. It’s very odd. Yeah I have tons of wheeler bits but wanted to make sure I had what all the cool kids have and that’s the Magna tips. Lol

Absolutely no reason to be sorry.  Cool or not I have at least 4 different sets by 4 different companies.  The Chapman’s pack the easiest so that is why they are in my range box.  I’m not a big fan of how the bits attach though.  The bits are OK but the extension is cumbersome and often can’t get into tight spots.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 69
June 6, 2022 - 1:07 pm

These are probably appropriate for the Model E 97 shelllatch screws.

BROWNELLS 12-IN-1 PRECISION MINIATURE SCREWDRIVER SET | Brownells 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, cj57, sb, Win61, Greg Dockter, [email protected]
Guest(s) 55
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303
mrcvs: 1727