Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1887 lever action
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 27, 2019 - 4:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Please excuse. I’m new here and only a guest. I have a question that I can’t find the answer to. The answer is probably so obvious that nobody has bothered to put it on the internet.

I recently acquired an 1887 shotgun. It is in poor condition, 70% at best. Stock has a crack on the right side where the stock meets the receiver. There maybe other cracks. The grip is wrapped and some type of tape that I have never seen before. It appears to be thin leather treated with some material that makes it hard as fiberglass.

Where is the serial number located on this shotgun? I am guessing it is probably under the tape, on one of the tangs?

I acquired it very inexpensively. Because of its poor condition, I’m considering having it restored. I don’t want to remove the tape until I make a firm decision on restoration.   But then without a serial number I have a tough time deciding whether to go ahead with the restoration. i.e. serial number two might make me reconsider.

Sorry. As a guest, and my first post, I don’t think I’m allowed to post pictures. Yes I know it’s difficult without pictures. The stock is almost completely black, with the aforementioned crack. The engraving on the side of the receiver it’s still relatively sharp. Moderately heavy rust marks on all metal although not any deep pits. Bluing /case hardening  is almost totally gone . Action works beautifully, but I’ve never fired. Don’t have any black powder rounds.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
August 28, 2019 - 1:10 am

The serial number is located on the bottom of the receiver frame forward of the lever.

You can post a link to pictures you have on a photo hosting website.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
August 28, 2019 - 1:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said
The grip is wrapped and some type of tape that I have never seen before. It appears to be thin leather treated with some material that makes it hard as fiberglass.

If you’re sure it’s leather, then I don’t know what else it could be but rawhide wrapped & stretched wet, which shrinks tight as a wedge & dries rock-hard; no modern material surpasses it for this kind of repair job. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
August 28, 2019 - 5:17 pm

[email protected] said
Please excuse. I’m new here and only a guest. I have a question that I can’t find the answer to. The answer is probably so obvious that nobody has bothered to put it on the internet.

I recently acquired an 1887 shotgun. It is in poor condition, 70% at best. Stock has a crack on the right side where the stock meets the receiver. There maybe other cracks. The grip is wrapped and some type of tape that I have never seen before. It appears to be thin leather treated with some material that makes it hard as fiberglass.

Where is the serial number located on this shotgun? I am guessing it is probably under the tape, on one of the tangs?

I acquired it very inexpensively. Because of its poor condition, I’m considering having it restored. I don’t want to remove the tape until I make a firm decision on restoration.   But then without a serial number I have a tough time deciding whether to go ahead with the restoration. i.e. serial number two might make me reconsider.

Sorry. As a guest, and my first post, I don’t think I’m allowed to post pictures. Yes I know it’s difficult without pictures. The stock is almost completely black, with the aforementioned crack. The engraving on the side of the receiver it’s still relatively sharp. Moderately heavy rust marks on all metal although not any deep pits. Bluing /case hardening  is almost totally gone . Action works beautifully, but I’ve never fired. Don’t have any black powder rounds.  

The serial number is on the bottom side of the receiver near the end of the barrel.  You would be better off buying another gun in good shape than restoring this one.  Restoration costs will be more than another gun in most cases and a restored gun brings less value in the long run.

IMG_0496.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
August 28, 2019 - 7:29 pm

Chuck said

You would be better off buying another gun in good shape than restoring this one.  Restoration costs will be more than another gun in most cases and a restored gun brings less value in the long run.

Not worth restoring, for sure, but I’ll bet a Cowboy Action shooter would love it as is…especially if that’s really a period rawhide repair wrap on the grip!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 140
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250