Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester model 100 rifles
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 18
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 24, 2023 - 2:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

New to this forum and this is my first post. I collect the model 100 semi auto rifles and have owned and hunted with one since 1965. I now own 8 rifles and I enjoy refinishing the stocks and keeping the rifles in perfect condition and fully functional. I was a weapons training officer for my department and have a good deal of experience with S&W revolvers, Remington 870 shotguns and the original Colt AR15s we used.

I have 2 rifles with an issue, Fail to extract fired casings and I hope to find someone here who knows these rifles so I can get some questions answered.

Most of my rifles are the pre 1964 versions but 3 are post 1964. I hunt with a model 100 and have for well over 55 years. I never had any problems with my hunting gun but two that I recently bought have issues I need some help with. I have tried to discuss these issues with both Olin and Winchester repeating Arms but they are not being very helpful at all. Finding a local gunsmith here who knows these guns has proven to be a real effort.

Right now I have both rifles apart and I have some new extractor parts on hand and I sent the original firing pins in for the recall updated pins from Olin. I hope to find a willing gunsmith here who can guide me in this process. I will be happy to discuss the issue here or in private messages if preferred. I am posting a picture of some of my rifles.

Thanks for any help from any members here and I hope to enjoy navigating around this site as I get used to it.IMG_1488.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Posts: 2120
August 24, 2023 - 4:34 pm

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the WACA forum!

You have a very nice assortment of Winchester Model 100’s.  Thanks for posting the picture.

I do not know anything about them but I am sure someone will come along shortly with some good info for you.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
August 26, 2023 - 12:56 pm

Hello Gary,

I wish I could answer your questions but I’m just an admirer of fine Winchester firearms.  I picked up a Model 100 just before the pandemic and believe it to be one of the best looking rifles I’ve ever seen.

I do want to ask you how many rounds do you run through a Mod 100 before you disassemble it for thorough cleaning?  I’ve only put about 30 rds through my rifle so far.

You have a great looking collection.

Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
August 26, 2023 - 1:08 pm

Hi Joe, I usually only fire my hunter 100 3-4 times a year to check zero before hunting and fouls the barrel and bag a deer. Since your new to you 100 is at least 50 years old I suggest you do a full cleaning now. You have no clue how many rounds have gone through it. The process is quite simple if you know the tricks and I will be happy to explain them either here or in a PM. There is really no need to disassemble the bolt but you will want to clean and inspect the gas tube. You can email me if you prefer, gplothrop@gmail

Gary

WACA Guest
August 26, 2023 - 3:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Gary,

Thanks for the response.  I gave my rifle a very thorough cleaning when I first received it.  I had an issue of failing to cycle the first time I shot it and found the gas tube was blocked by a clip that had rotated around and not allowing free flow of gas through the tube.   Once that was rotated back properly, the rifle cycled well.

But, after about 25 rounds, the rifle began to double fire (2 rds).  I have been hesitant to shoot it since, trying to think about what is causing the double fire problem.  I am wondering if the trigger sear is dirty and not catching after the first shot?  I have been reluctant to disassemble again without a plan or hint as to what to look for.   (If it sounds like I don’t know much, well that’s about accurate too)   

To be clear, the 25 rds were not fired in one day, but over a succession of days as I was getting the cycling issue solved, and then getting the rifle sighted in with the scope.  I probably never fired more than 10 rds on any one day.

I do know the firing pin was replaced during the recall.  that was confirmed by telephone call to the recall center telephone number.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Here’s a pic of my rifle.

Model 100Image Enlarger

Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
August 26, 2023 - 4:04 pm

Screenshot-2023-08-21-3.53.27-PM.pngImage EnlargerNice looking post 1964 100 and looks to be in great shape. I never had the double fire happen on any of mine but I have had issues with failing to extract fired cases and jamming on a couple, both old and newer ones. I am working on that issue as we speak.

Please take a look at your bolt face and tell me which extractor is in your gun and if yours is before SN 119,000 or newer. Here is a picture of the two possibilities. Either the pointed V shaped back or the round back one.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4267
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 26, 2023 - 7:57 pm

The Model 100 does not have a completely untarnished reputation.  My dad bought one new in about 1965 and it was a jammer.  I understand the M100 was an expensive rifle to manufacture.

Let me add, with the right loads, it is capable of very excellent accuracy.

WACA Guest
August 26, 2023 - 8:20 pm

Gary Lothrop said
Screenshot-2023-08-21-3.53.27-PM.pngImage EnlargerNice looking post 1964 100 and looks to be in great shape. I never had the double fire happen on any of mine but I have had issues with failing to extract fired cases and jamming on a couple, both old and newer ones. I am working on that issue as we speak.

Please take a look at your bolt face and tell me which extractor is in your gun and if yours is before SN 119,000 or newer. Here is a picture of the two possibilities. Either the pointed V shaped back or the round back one.

I have the pointed extractor.  Serial No# 89959.  

Google Pics:   Model 100 Extractor

Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
August 26, 2023 - 8:46 pm

Nice Joe, So your 100 has the correct extractor and being a late 1964 model I suspect your stock is the basketweave checkering like my slightly earlier 84XXX one.

I have been trying to research all this extractor stuff about Pre and Post 119,000 but so far no real info has come my way. I  have rifles with 4 digit SNs made in 1961 that have the round extractors in them and I have 2 that are above the 119K that also have round ones. I can’t learn if they are interchangeable and the rounded back is a newer upgrade that fits all or not.

Back many years ago a company, Boyd Stocks, did make a very few very nice 100 & 88 laminated stocks but the stocks were discontinued because of poor sales. I have one in a 4 digit SN and it really is a nice piece of wood. 

WACA Guest
August 26, 2023 - 11:39 pm

Hi Gary,

Yes sir, I remember when we used to shoot our rifles maybe 2 or 3 times just before the season began.  If we shot twice in the deer season, it was a good year. So our rifles never really got many rounds through them at all.  I think this Model 100 is in pretty good shape for its age.

It’s too hot to spend any time in my garage/shop today.   I’ll plan on breaking this rifle down again when the weather cools and exam it to see what I can learn about the double firing problem.   Thank you for speaking with me and for your inputs.  These rifles are machined works of art, in my opinion.  I haven’t used them for hunting in 15 years.

To be continued….

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
August 27, 2023 - 7:28 pm

Welcome, Gary. I’ve always enjoyed the Models 88 and 100 from a distance, haven’t had one follow me home yet. Good luck with your quest, I suspect someone around here has a solution for you.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
September 9, 2023 - 2:29 pm

Well, I guess no one really knows the answers regarding the different extractors for what appear to be the identical bolt faces. I still don’t know the answers either but I did some learning and ammeture gunsmithing and solved the issues with both rifle that were failing to extract fired casings and jamming. One rifle was an older version or pre 119,000 and the other was the newer version or post 119,000. For the stories sake a little background. I own 7 model 100 rifle, 5 are early models and 2 are later one above the 119K numbers. What I did notice between all of them is there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to which version of extractors were in each rifle. Some older rifles had the new extractor and some newer ones had the old version so inspecting each did me no good.

I ordered a few of each type of extractors just to have what I need now and for the future. I am not a gunsmith but I am quite handy at figuring things out as I take them apart. I disassembled both faulty guns down to just parts and pieces and did a full clean and inspection of both bolts, bores and the chambers and found nothing offensive at all. I sent the old style firing pins back to Olin and they sent me the new pins within 2-3 weeks according to the very old recall. I installed new extractors, the right ones by their SNs. After getting both guns assembled and ready to test fire I was very happy and both guns functioned as they should. Problem solved for my guns but the mystery remains. Why did some older guns have the new extractors and some newer guns have the older ones? I may never know this answer but going by the info from Gunpats/Numrich and others it appears if I put the correct extractor in according to the SN the gun will function. I have to just suspect that previous owners either DIY or had their own gunsmiths do repairs and used the exact wrong parts for these guns. Lots can happen over the 55-60 years since these rifles were mad!

On another note, I have never yet had one that went full auto or had a broken firing pin, not even one that did double fires as many have stated. During my full disassembly and deep cleaning I did notice burnt residue in the chambers of both barrels prior to a good brushing. I manually inserted both fired casings and live round into each chamber. The fired casings with expansion only went in about 3/4 of the way and the live rounds didn’t fully seat either. After the brushing that removed the burnt residue the live rounds slipped right in and right back out so this could be the cause of the double taps if the live round does not fully seat. I would have liked to have the Go-No Go gauges to check the headspace both before and after the cleaning but I just don’t have them.

I hope this info may help others with these fine Winchester 100 rifles that develop issues such as what I experienced and feel free to drop me a line if I might be of assistance. Just remember a gunsmith I am NOT. These actions are a bit tricky in the process of re-assembling them and a third hand or more is very helpful. They also have lots of very sharp edges under spring tension and will draw blood if not careful, ask me how I know!

Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
September 19, 2023 - 10:09 pm

The 88 & 100 are completely different animals. I’ve owned both but I like the 100 for hunting here in the NY Catskills much more than the 88. The 88 is a fine rifle for sure but I stalk and jump deer who go from zero to 60 MPH in a split second so I want that second shot-NOW. Accuracy, or the lack thereof, has more to do with me than it does with my gun. A 2″ group at 50 yards off a rest is good enough for me on the move, off hand and a snapshot. My woods are overgrown with 5 foot high pines and great cover for our deer. Mother nature and a bit of lightning could fix things quick but I do enjoy the challenge. Bucks on the run are just cool IMO.

Norman Dean
WACA Guest
January 7, 2024 - 9:13 pm
sp_Permalink
Awaiting Moderation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, cj57, 33wcf, antler1, clarence, Randycrockett, patrick_ford
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6405
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4606
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4267
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2310
mrcvs: 1729