Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Mod 1894 in the Klondike Gold Rush
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Felix
WACA Guest
November 26, 2018 - 5:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Having been a Winchester fan here in Germany since my days as a boy I am glad to have found a forum like this. I collect vintage Winchesters and love to get all information about their use and the history around them.

What I also always have been interested in since the days I read my first Jack London novel is the Klondike gold rush. At some point a read a statement about the Winchester Modell 1894 that it was also called the Klondike model back then – since many people tookt the rifle up to the north.

Unfortunately there was no source of that statement given, so I would like to ask if anyone here can confirm this and give details about the background. Are there any old pictures around (of the gold rush era) that show Winchesters? Never seen any so far…

Thanks a lot, guys,

and best regards from Germany

Felix

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 26, 2018 - 9:42 pm

Hello Felix,

I am not familiar with any particular association between the Klondike gold rush and the Winchester Model 1894, other than the relatively close period in time in which they shared a piece of history. Winchester introduced the Model 1894 in September of 1894, and gold was discovered on the Klondike in August 1896. From September 20th, 1894 through August 31, 1896, Winchester had manufactured just 15,925 Model 1894 lever-action rifles, with the majority of them being chambered for the 38-55 cartridge. It seems to be somewhat too farfetched to believe that the Model 1894 had become the weapon of choice for the hardscrabble “get rich quick” type of people who traveled north from the U.S. to Canada in search of gold in the late 1890s. The pure economics of those times would lead me to believe that the Model 1873 was much more common, easier to acquire, and a more trusted firearm at that time in history.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Felix
WACA Guest
November 27, 2018 - 4:59 pm

Hi Bert,

thank you for your detailed answer and opinion! Never thought about it that way…. makes perfectly sense about the production number, sort of people who went and availability of guns back then….  Well, the 73 model is for sure a good thing to have, too. I own four of them (1 Short rifle, a standard rifle with shotgun buttstock, two carbines – all .44) – and I love them!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
November 28, 2018 - 1:26 am

I also have read that the Model 1894 was known as the Klondike model.Just do not remember where or by who.

Perhaps the name was added years later by some one writing about the Klondike and it sounded good to say the Model 1894 was used a lot and called the Klondike Model .Winchester may have even done something like that themselves ,in their ads for the Model 1894.Winchester was not known as the gun that won the west,until Winchester started using the slogan in ads in the 1920’s.Smile

Felix
WACA Guest
November 29, 2018 - 11:53 am

Interesting guess – never trust any statistics you didn’t forge yourself (German saying)… 🙂
Didn’t know that about the 1920s as origin of the “gun that won the west” slogan….

Peru, NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 75
November 29, 2018 - 11:01 pm

Along with the ’73 maybe the ’86 and 92 might have made their way there too.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
December 1, 2018 - 8:36 am

Weight favors the ’92 as making the journey.  Tough trail over the pass.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
December 15, 2018 - 5:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I would think the model ’94 was probably a very popular weapon during the Alaska gold rush.  The powerful calibers would have made such a rifle, a welcome companion in a place with large and sometimes angry animals.  I have an octagon barreled ’94 (or what’s left of it) that was found in a creek bottom in the Klondike, sometime in the 1950’s.  The rifle is of standard sporting rifle configuration.  One small piece of wood remains in the wrist, where it forms around the mainspring.  The barrel is literally riddled with pebble size pock marks, after years of being washed and worn by gravel.  All of the markings are completely wiped clean except for, believe it or not, the serial number which is 202750.  I have no idea what caliber it is.  I bought it in the mid 70’s for $5.00, because it was cool.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
December 15, 2018 - 11:09 am

win4575 said
I would think the model ’94 was probably a very popular weapon during the Alaska gold rush.  The powerful calibers would have made such a rifle, a welcome companion in a place with large and sometimes angry animals.  I have an octagon barreled ’94 (or what’s left of it) that was found in a creek bottom in the Klondike, sometime in the 1950’s.  The rifle is of standard sporting rifle configuration.  One small piece of wood remains in the wrist, where it forms around the mainspring.  The barrel is literally riddled with pebble size pock marks, after years of being washed and worn by gravel.  All of the markings are completely wiped clean except for, believe it or not, the serial number which is 202750.  I have no idea what caliber it is.  I bought it in the mid 70’s for $5.00, because it was cool.  

Yes ,very cool rifle indeed.

I had always thought the Klondike gold rush was in the Yukon starting in 1898 or there abouts and the Alaska gold rush ,came a few years after the Yukon Klondike gold rush.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1096
December 15, 2018 - 7:13 pm

You are probably well aware of the Klondike Gold Rush Commemoratives Winchester made in 1975, the standard run of 10,500, the Dawson City issue, 25 pieces and the Presentation  issue of 15 pieces. Now for those who don’t believe that post ’64 Winchesters don’t hold much value or collectability, try and find one of those Dawson City or Presentation issues under $15,000.00. I would like to know about it. And up here at least these, standard run, commemoratives usually bring about the same price as a reasonably good cond. early ’94 s.r.c.  Just sayin’

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 46
April 15, 2020 - 2:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have and 1894 src 30wcf sn 82681 found in the Yukon dry wood, no finish except rust. Barrel and magazine slightly bent as if used as a club against something the size and radius of a head. Still completely functional, ring removed. Wish it could talk

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
April 15, 2020 - 4:19 am

The Klondike Gold Rush began in summer of 1896, and it had petered out by 1899. The Model 1894 SRC you have (serial number 82681) was manufactured in January, 1900, and it most likely could not have made its way to the Yukon Territory before the Spring of 1900. Therefore, it could not have been an active part of the actual “gold rush”.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026