Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1895 35 WCF and Winchester 1873 32 WCF
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 5, 2023 - 9:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Burt Humphrey said

Chuck said

Burt Humphrey said

David Bichrest used to have business cards with the slogan “Where Condition Is Everything”.

73del7-1.jpgImage Enlarger

I still have one of those cards.  It was long ago when he lived in Maine.

Chuck – I have not seen David in many years – he lives in Texas now. He used to come to Alaska to hunt Dall Sheep and has been to my home and fondled Winchesters a couple of times. Over the years, some of the finest Winchester’s have been thru his hands. Over 40 years ago I bought this Model 65 from him – it is a 218 Bee and between the rarity of the model, originality, configuration, caliber, and condition it is a gun the likes of which very few will be fortunate enough to own.

651-2.JPGImage Enlarger

I just found out David Bichrest passed away on October 11, 2022 – not quite 3 months ago – he was 80 years old. Bert Hartman was kind enough to let me know. Like I said in the post, back in the old days a lot of fantastic Winchesters passed thru his hands. He was the Executive Secretay of WACA for a long time and was a fixture at all the best guns shows in the country for many years. In a WACA Forum post I made in the last couple of days I noted the friendships I had made while collecting Winchesters and how one cannot put a price on these friendships. David Bichrest is a prime example of that. The last time he was here at my home he was so elated that he had been able to take a fabulous Dall Sheep in the Alaska Range and spoke of it as one of the most physically demanding adventures of his life. Here is another David Bichrest gun I purchased a long time ago – he preached condition and this gun had it – Model 64 in 219 Zipper and as good as I have ever seen.

zip3-1.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
January 5, 2023 - 2:00 pm

Beautiful 218 bee and 219 zipper Burt. And interesting comments about Mr Bichrest. He seemed like a great guy. Wish I had known him.

RickC

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
January 5, 2023 - 6:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I used to see him every fall in Reno and a few other large shows I went to.  This rifle was his.  The letter I have for it is in his name from 1993.  The scope was added later.  Really sad to here of his passing.

Winchester-1873-L-e.jpgImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
January 5, 2023 - 7:32 pm

Chuck said
I used to see him every fall in Reno and a few other large shows I went to.  This rifle was his.  The letter I have for it is in his name from 1993.  The scope was added later.  Really sad to here of his passing.

Impractical as it would be for anything but rest-shooting, that scope “makes” the rifle!  I love it!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
January 5, 2023 - 8:24 pm

Chuck said

Nice rifle!!

Rick C 

WACA Member
January 5, 2023 - 8:59 pm

IMG_0404.JPGImage Enlargerclarence said

Chuck said

Impractical as it would be for anything but rest-shooting, that scope “makes” the rifle!  I love it!

This gun has been rested against other things, like a tree.  It is not one I will shoot a lot and I will be choosy where and when.  I do have the original rear sight and side plate screw.  Here is its big sister.

This one has a long range tang sight on it now.

Winchester-1876-L.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
January 6, 2023 - 12:40 am

Very nice Chuck – you have been holding out on us. I have always been intrigued by that early checkering pattern – I believe they called it “square back”.

WACA Member
January 6, 2023 - 5:01 pm

I am not an expert on checkering but this rifle shipped in Jan of 79.  Never heard of square back checkering?  Got the rear sight from TR/1873man just a couple years back.

NY
WACA Member
January 6, 2023 - 5:17 pm

Chuck said
  Never heard of square back checkering?

“Square” on one end, as opposed to pointed.

WACA Member
January 7, 2023 - 4:59 pm

clarence said

Chuck said

So the 73 is a square back?  It shipped in Sept. of 78.  Since it is square on both pieces?

WACA Member
January 7, 2023 - 7:51 pm

clarence said

Chuck said

You only see it on real early guns but not on all early guns I have only seen it on 73’s and 76’s – look at the “back end” of the checkering on the forearm – it is squared off rather than being pointed (as Clarence pointed out). Here are some examples of the square back. Remember the real nice Jim Cauthen deluxe 73 which you chased for awhile – if I remember correctly, it had the square back checkering.

SQBCK.jpgImage Enlarger

NY
WACA Member
January 7, 2023 - 9:14 pm

An attractive pattern, but placed too far back to provide your left hand much grip; the reason, I’d guess, it was discontinued.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Win61, freebird1968, Andy Y
Guest(s) 194
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261