Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1892 withe "OF" marking under the barrel
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Free State of Tennessee
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 23, 2018 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am looking at a Winchester 1892 with a half octagonal barrel that has an “OF” marking under the barrel, which I am assuming means outside finish.  My question is would a gunsmith outside of Winchester place that marking or would have Winchester subcontracted the rifle out after possibly turning down the octagon barrel to make it half octagon and then refinished by the outside contractor? What would “OF” mean otherwise? Thank you

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 23, 2018 - 5:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

First, see the discussion in the below article:

https://winchestercollector.org/forum/the-winchester-collector-magazine/summer-2018-issue/

The “OF” is referring to Outside Fitting, not the finish.  A new barrel was provided by Winchester ready to install on the rifle outside Winchester, i.e. a gunsmith.  Winchester would have marked the barrel “OF” for “Outside Fitting” if it were a mail order part or with a “Circle-P” on top of the barrel next to the barrel proof mark.  

Couple questions though, what is the SN of the rifle?  The date of MFG may have a bearing on the markings your seeing.

Second, could you provide a photo of the “OF” on the underside of your barrel (along with all the other markings on the underside).  And possibly some clear overall pics of the barrel. 

If you cant load pics, you can send them to my email below and I will add.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Free State of Tennessee
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 47
September 23, 2018 - 6:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I can give you the serial number serial #629024, but I can’t give you a picture of the circle P. According to this link and your response, the “OF” was supplanted by the circle P in 1913. Is that correct? Thanks for your input.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, tsillik, TXGunNut, TR, morsece, RickC, SureShot, Paul K
Guest(s) 127
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710