Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Summer 2018 Issue
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 794
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 28, 2018 - 4:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Many thanks to John Madl for his research article on the Model 1886 Carbine.

I have an affinity with special and unusual Winchesters and was thrilled to learn my 1886 Carbine is (according to the Research Letter):

1 of 941  in 45-90 caliber

1 of 319  with a full length forearm

1 of 70   with 1/2 Nickle finish

Far from being a ‘mint’ gun may effect the dollar value, but that doesn’t effect my value of the gun.  It shows “honest use” and I wish it could talk.

RDB

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
August 20, 2018 - 5:46 am

OK, I’m getting concerned now. The small Post Office where I get most of my mail has apparently suffered a loss in key personnel or some other misfortune and some important mail was misplaced for a few weeks (during the time when this issue should have arrived). I recently received some of that mail, but NOT the Summer 2018 issue of my favorite magazine. It seems catalogs and other bulk mail fills my box and higher priority mail is set aside and is apparently hard to find when I call for it.

If you have an extra copy of the Summer 2018 magazine please set it aside for me, I may need it.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
August 20, 2018 - 6:00 am

Same thing happened to me.  I contacted Trish and she was nice enough to send me a replacement copy.

Don

WACA Member
August 20, 2018 - 6:23 am

Mine may turn up. Then again, I’m sometimes a bit too optimistic. I know they have extra copies but this other mail just turned up with no (credible) explanation so will wait another day or two.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
August 20, 2018 - 1:42 pm

Folks,

I don’t know what is happening within the postal service, but I went two issues straight without their being delivered.  Summer issue came through fine for a change, though.  Supposedly, my town’s post office has been raped and pillaged of man hours to the point that the mail is already sorted in Springfield before even arriving at our office.  Thus the local office suspects the magazine, when it goes missing, does so in Springfield or perhaps prior to getting to that location.  I don’t know what the answer is, but it may be time for the club to officially complain about issues (seemingly a fair number) not being delivered.

Tim

WACA Member
August 20, 2018 - 2:21 pm

I’ve had mostly good experiences with this post office, that’s why I get most of my mail delivered there. I’m part of the problem when I don’t pick up my mail often enough because that’s when some odd regulations kick in and things get misplaced. My other mail box is part of a rural cluster and I get mis-boxed mail on a regular basis so I know some of the mail sent to that box goes missing. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4570
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 20, 2018 - 4:51 pm

You need to keep complaining to whichever post offices process your mail.  I have family members that worked for the postal service.  Laziness and theft come to mind.  Believe me, the system is messed up.  Things they don’t want to deal with get cubby holed, gun people take the magazine and gun haters throw them away.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
August 20, 2018 - 6:37 pm

USPS is the worst. My last Winchester purchase was shipped with Signature Required and was left in plain sight on my front porch while I was at work. Tracking said “left with individual.”  I was at work and no one was home. 

Last week the mail carrier dumped all his mail in my neighbor’s mail slot. My neighbor was home and saw it and ran outside to catch him. He was rude and unapologetic and she said she was going to report him. “Go ahead, they won’t do anything,” was his reply. 

We all have video doorbells and the like and have reported and documented this sort of think over and over. 

USPS is worse than useless, they’re corrupt. 

Steve

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

Forum Posts: 956
August 20, 2018 - 9:28 pm

TXGunNut said
Mine may turn up. Then again, I’m sometimes a bit too optimistic. I know they have extra copies but this other mail just turned up with no (credible) explanation so will wait another day or two.  

Don’t hesitate to contact Trish if it doesn’t show up soon.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
August 21, 2018 - 3:45 am

I will, thanks. Been looking forward to the 1886 article since Roger’s post. 

Funniest thing, in my home mailbox I got two pieces of mis-boxed mail and a request from USPS to complete a survey. The survey is online, probably don’t want it to get lost.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
August 21, 2018 - 2:49 pm

GOT IT! No explanation offered. Some other missing mail in same stack. Verizon bill still MIA but that’s not unusual. Haven’t seen the employee that knows my PO box number (and probably my name) by sight last few visits. I have his name somewhere, should probably ask about him. 

My day is looking better already!

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
August 25, 2018 - 2:47 am

I’d like to thank Mr. Mark Yecha and Mr. Jake Grizelj for contributing the wonderful hunting articles for the Summer 2018 issue! Thank you to Brad, Rob and the magazine staff for including these articles in this issue. I don’t think many collectors share my love for hunting with these old Winchesters but these two articles hit the nail on the head as well as these beautiful old Winchesters put meat in the freezer.

Nicely done! Thanks.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
August 26, 2018 - 1:31 pm

Hi Mike

I’m sure Mark and Jake are glad to hear you enjoyed their articles.   I’ve been fortunate to talk with quite a few Winchester enthusiasts that like to hunt with their old rifles and shotguns and we’re happy to include articles about it.  Good photos definitely help!

Regards

Brad Dunbar

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 5, 2018 - 12:00 am

Many thanks to Rob, Brad, and anyone else associated with the production of the magazine.  It has undergone a major transformation from years past.  Also, special thanks to the authors for their contributing articles and the time and effort put into them.  

In the latest copy of the magazine, the article by Dan Shuey, there is mention of the O.F. (Outside Fitted) marking on the underside of the barrel.  Ive never seen one on the hoof and was wondering if anyone might have a photo of an example. 

Thanks

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
September 5, 2018 - 12:08 am

1892takedown said
Many thanks to Rob, Brad, and anyone else associated with the production of the magazine.  It has undergone a major transformation from years past.  Also, special thanks to the authors for their contributing articles and the time and effort put into them.  

In the latest copy of the magazine, the article by Dan Shuey, there is mention of the O.F. (Outside Fitted) marking on the underside of the barrel.  Ive never seen one on the hoof and was wondering if anyone might have a photo of an example. 

Thanks  

Chris,

I have encountered several Model 1885 rifles with “OF” marked barrels… here is one of them.

Bert

OF-marked-barrel.jpgImage Enlarger

The number preceding the “OF” was the order number for the barrel.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
September 5, 2018 - 3:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thank you Bert. 

Ive never run across one but have always been curious.   In reading through Dan Shuey’s article (great article by the way) I was curious as to when the “O.F.” stamp was used.  In the article it mentions its use as of 1902 (Page 22) followed by the “P in a circle in May 31, 1913.  Am assuming that the “O.F” was first used starting in 1902 but was supplanted by the “Circle-P” in 1913 and was no longer used?  Would also assume based on numerous “Circle-P” marked barrels Ive seen the “O.F” was not used in conjunction with the “Circle-P”,  due to its absence of “O.F.” marked on the underside of “Circle-P” marked barrels. From what you have seen, does this pattern of markings follow that stated above or do you know of examples where barrels are marked with the “Circle-P” and the “O.F.” markings? 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
September 5, 2018 - 4:04 am

Chris,

I have not (yet) seen a barrel with both the “OF” marking and the (P) marking. I suspect that Winchester discontinued the “OF” when the (P) marking was instituted.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

September 5, 2018 - 10:33 am

Happy to hear you like the magazine and the article Chris.  

Thanks for providing the image and information on the OF barrel Bert.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280