Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1886 Questions and information
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 6, 2019 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x6LRauyzhcJjVCLNA

i inherited a 1887  model 1886 with serial number #12701 which ia where i got the 1887. It is chambered in 38-56 wcf with a octagon barrell there is no saddle ring. This is all i know about this rifle wondering if it worth restoring or if selling beat option. is it worth anything? If there as anything you can add to the information i have that would be great.. Ill attach a link to pictures above for reference.

thanks

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
July 7, 2019 - 2:45 am

My advice: Freeze.  Don’t move.  Wait until someone here can properly advise you on how to stop any further degradation without restoring it.  I would not restore it and I would not sell it.  I would keep it as is, with some CLP and oil.  If it is original then yes, it is worth some decent money.  Some of the folks on here like pretty guns.  I like guns that look like the one you have.  It looks like a standard configuration rifle with an octagon bbl.

If I inherited it, that is the end of the story right there.  It’s an heirloom.  But, to each his own.

I look forward to hearing what the experts say.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
July 7, 2019 - 4:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good advice, Huck. I’m no expert but as Huck mentioned a bit of CLP and gentle cleaning with an old toothbrush will help us see what you have. Pics are very important in determining what you have. If you don’t know how to proceed take some pics and let us help you. Pics of the barrel, receiver and tang stampings will be helpful. Pics of the sights including the dovetails for the front sight and magazine tube will be helpful. Pics of where wood meets metal are also helpful. Please don’t try to disassemble it unless you truly know what you’re doing. Finicky collectors HATE buggared screws.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
July 7, 2019 - 5:55 pm

I would follow the advice suggested above as to how to preserve this rifle and prevent further degradation.

Having said that, given the state of deterioration, I would be inclined just to keep this one, especially since the .38-56 caliber is one of the less desirable ones.  I’m thinking about $1000 is what this one might bring.

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 7:06 pm

Huck Riley said
My advice: Freeze.  Don’t move.  Wait until someone here can properly advise you on how to stop any further degradation without restoring it.  I would not restore it and I would not sell it.  I would keep it as is, with some CLP and oil.  If it is original then yes, it is worth some decent money.  Some of the folks on here like pretty guns.  I like guns that look like the one you have.  It looks like a standard configuration rifle with an octagon bbl.

If I inherited it, that is the end of the story right there.  It’s an heirloom.  But, to each his own.

I look forward to hearing what the experts say.  

Thank you for the advice what does clp mean?

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 7:36 pm

CLP is a “Break Free” product, cleaner, lubricant, preservative.  What I liked about it was, after these people here recommended it to me for a rusty old 1894 Winchester, was that it pretty much took my rust and turned it into a nice dark, almost black patina and stopped the rust immediately.

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 7:49 pm

Ok just got some of this.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
July 7, 2019 - 7:56 pm

TXGunNut said
Good advice, Huck. I’m no expert but as Huck mentioned a bit of CLP and gentle cleaning with an old toothbrush will help us see what you have. Pics are very important in determining what you have. If you don’t know how to proceed take some pics and let us help you. Pics of the barrel, receiver and tang stampings will be helpful. Pics of the sights including the dovetails for the front sight and magazine tube will be helpful. Pics of where wood meets metal are also helpful. Please don’t try to disassemble it unless you truly know what you’re doing. Finicky collectors HATE buggared screws.

Mike  

Michael, there are pics in his first post. 

CLP everywhere, inside and out metal and wood including the inside of the barrel and receiver.  Let it soak for a couple days then use the toothbrush.  Wipe off the excess oil checking it for a few days to get what might run out.  Scrub the bore with a brass cleaning brush, wipe clean then re-oil the bore.

keywords=break+free+clp&qid=1562529412&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=break%2Csporting%2C207&sr=1-4

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 8:00 pm

[email protected] said
Ok just got some of this.

That is CPL, not CLP.  Can’t testify as to that.  Chuck said it best.

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 8:12 pm

Oops ill order some of the right stuff i can use the other stuff anyways 

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 9:53 pm

Well i cleaned it up with some elbow grease and a toothbrush and it looks 50x better you wouldn’t believe it 

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 10:28 pm

I think I got my CLP at an auto parts store but I can’t remember.  Anyway, don’t go too hard on it.  You want to preserve any factory finish that remains.  And, like was said above, don’t mess with the screws unless and until you have the proper screw driver to fit the slots perfectly and with the concave face.  

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 10:36 pm

Did they make a shorter butt? It looks like the butt is shorter then the rest i am seeing online. It has the crescent butt plate but it does appear shorter then the rest i have seen. Maybe i am wrong judging by photos is oretty hard but it does look smaller. i really appreciate all the input so far thank you everyone. While it was inherited it doesnt hold much sentimental value. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C2xGsYpLtSyXxTrb8

WACA Guest
July 7, 2019 - 10:54 pm

It’s hard to judge based upon the photos/angle, but the stock looks right to me.

This recent set of photos makes the fore end look a lot lighter in color than the first set of photos and the wood looks proud where it meets the receiver.  Doesn’t match the stock.  Anyway, if you want to sell it, there are others here who could better advise you. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 838
July 8, 2019 - 12:12 am

Nice looking old rifle.If it were mine, I believe I would just clean it, as others here have suggested.Have it checked to see if it is safe to shoot.Then locate some ammunition or get some reloading dies ,bullets ,etc. and shoot it.Smile

WACA Guest
July 8, 2019 - 3:41 pm

Got the clp from cabelas it made a big difference to the rifle

WACA Member
July 8, 2019 - 5:44 pm

Can we see after pics?

Keep a light film on all metal parts.  After the wood has soaked in what it wants wipe off what you can with a cotton cloth.  If you see dry spots add more oil. Some are really concerned about putting oil on the wood.  An excess of oil can change the color if left over decades.

WACA Guest
July 10, 2019 - 5:07 pm

Yeah here is some after pictures keep in kind it was a quick once over when i have time i am going to get in with a toothbrush. The markings are especially more visible it looks a lot better then when i got it already. All the moving parts are much much better as well i am happy so far with this clp. Next application i am going to let it soak in clean and repeat.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AqAT6VMDXvGkKQFS7

WACA Member
July 10, 2019 - 6:55 pm

If you want the wood to have a sheen buy some BOILED linseed oil and apply some more coats over a few day period.  Buff/rub with your hand until you are actually producing heat.  This could add some gloss.  If you mix a very small amount of Tru Oil or Tung oil with the linseed oil this will also bring out a sheen without the work.

or

linkCode=df0&hvadid=193184886406&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12233710705888437515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031588&hvtargid=pla-309688645580&psc=1

WACA Guest
July 10, 2019 - 8:35 pm

My opinion:  Don’t be too aggressive with the brush.  Err on the side of caution, leaving a little bad to preserve the good.  The CLP should stop any bad from getting worse.  I’d just hate to see you go after those little blemishes with a vengeance. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 151
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261