Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1886 for sale on gunbroker
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 23, 2017 - 2:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657981136

I think this one has been listed several times.  Never meets reserve and the reserve is unknown.  My feeling is that there are a few twists and turns with this one.  I am curious about other’s thoughts and opinions.  It is a neat and desirable rifle in many ways.  But in all ways?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
June 23, 2017 - 2:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Steve,

It does not match the factory letter… wrong caliber, and I do not see any of the nickel plating on the parts listed in the letter.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
June 23, 2017 - 1:05 pm

Bert –

Thank you for your reply.  I find this rifle intriguing and would like to sort out what aspects are likely to be true vs. a level of speculation that requires a leap of faith.  The barrel is one topic in this regard.  We know from the museum letter that it was originally shipped in 1890 with a special order 28 inch octagon barrel in .40/82 caliber.  We now know it has a special order 28 inch .45/70 octagon barrel.  We know that the factory ledger note a return in 1896.  The seller asserts the barrel was changed by the factory during that return:  “was almost certainly done during the 1896 return to the factory listed in the letter, as it is obviously a factory barrel with the unique shape of the “5” in the caliber marking, and the barrels condition is completely consistent with the rest of the gun.”  The seller essentially admits that his assertion is speculation, “was almost certainly.”  How much do we agree with that speculation?  To the point of, “almost certainly”?   The points in that direction would seem to be the factory notation of a return, the caliber was changed to a more popular caliber, the same barrel configuration and special order length was used, and as the seller suggests, the overall condition matches well.  Curiously, he mentions the letter, “5” in the caliber marking – as evidence that the barrel is a, “factory barrel.”  I’m not sure what to make of this.  Wouldn’t the barrel address provide greater evidence of this? Specific thoughts about the letter, “5”?

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 23, 2017 - 2:16 pm

Steve,

Before I would ever consider the “almost certainly… ” statement to have any credibility, I would want to inspect the bottom of the barrel (or see very clear pictures of it). IF it has the same work order number stamped on the bottom of the barrel that is listed in the R&R entry, and a “J.P.P.” marking, then (and only then) would I agree with the “almost certainly…” statement.

I have no idea why the seller is emphasizing the “5” digit in the caliber marking. Winchester used multiple dies (they wore out and broke frequently), and each one of them was slightly different (due to being hand cut in the engraving shop).

Yes, the barrel address type would be a better clue as to when it was installed, but not the definitive answer as to its originality.

Bert

WACA Member
June 23, 2017 - 2:46 pm

Bert – again thank your for your thoughts.  They were of interest and highlight how much I appreciate the educational value of this site. 

There is another feature of this rifle that leaves me with even greater curiousity:

“As noted in the auction description, the lever is not color case hardened and the bolt is not blued. Per the Cody info they were nickle plated at the factory and it appears that Winchester deliberately darkened the exposed surfaces with nitre bluing. You can really see this in the photo of the open bolt.”

What we know is that the museum letter specifies, “Nickeled bolt, finger lever and buttplate.”

I observe that the bolt (when pictured from the side) does look nickel plated.  This leads me to believe that the bolt is original to the rifle and Winchester did nickel plate it.  However, other surfaces, such as top of the bolt look dark or blued vs. nickel plated.  The seller speculates “Winchester deliberately darkened the exposed surfaces with nitre bluing.”  Another leap of faith, but what would be the various explanations for the appearance of the exposed surfaces on these three parts? For me, the options would be Winchester darkened the exposed surfaces of these nickel plated parts at the time of original manufacture (although there is no notation of this in the factory ledger – which would be a very special unique special order request); Winchester did it at the time of the return (which has some logic – perhaps the owner didn’t like the shiny nickel exposed appearance of these parts); or, the finish was changed by an aftermarket gunsmith.  Do we have any known examples of Winchester, “darkening” nickel plated parts? 

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 23, 2017 - 3:54 pm

Steve,

The nickel plating was intentionally removed from the normally exposed area of the bolt, finger lever, and butt plate.  The only way to “darken” nickel plating is to remove it.  I sincerely doubt that Winchester ad anything to do with the “darkening” process.  More than likely, the nickel plating was flaking off of the exposed surfaces (ugly looking), and someone decided to fix it by totally removing it.  Of the three options you listed, my money is on the latter.

Bert

WACA Member
June 23, 2017 - 4:08 pm

Good points Bert.  Do you think some finish was added after the nickel plate was removed?  This is where having the rifle in one’s hands vs. looking as so-so photos is critical.  To me, the top of the bolt looks like it has a blued finish.  Also, from what little I could see of the finger lever, that appears to have a blued finish as well.  Overall, this looks like big money for a piece with many questionable aspects to it.  Still, it is a lot better than that, “doesn’t get any better” M1876 we were recently discussing here. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 23, 2017 - 5:28 pm

Steve,

If I had to guess, I would say that it probably has cold blue on it. It is not possible to partially blue the bolt without the use of cold blue.

Bert

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
June 24, 2017 - 2:34 am

Too many red flags in the above posts and seller’s description. Didn’t even waste the bandwidth to look at pics. Might make a nice shooter but bids passed that point awhile back.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
August 11, 2017 - 12:37 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/680498444

This rifle had been listed many times when I first posted about it.  Since we last discussed it, it has been listed many times.  However what is different is that the seller now posts photos of the underside of the barrel.  As we have seen on another thread, if the rifle had been rebored by Winchester, we should see, “REBORE” stamped on the underside of the barrel.  That turns out to not be the case with this rifle, but we do find, “REFINISHED”.  Would we have consensus that this was done by Winchester and it is what the return and repair notation on the museum letter references?

I have found our recent discussion of factory reboring and refinishing both interesting and educational.  It would be interesting (actually, fascinating to me) to know how many of these jobs Winchester did, over what span of time and how many employees were involved.  And of course, what were the variations in how they were marked.

Over 30 years ago, a dealer had a M1894 that really caught my attention.  It was a .32/40 and had a 36 inch barrel.  My faded recollection was that everything about it was right except it had been refinished.  Refinished rifles have always not been my interest area but I recall the seller emphasized it was a, “factory refinish.”  And because of the, “factory” aspect of this, he did not price the rifle accordingly (although when pricing a 36 inch barreled 1894 you cannot quickly check what similar ones are selling for).  By the way, I seem to recall his sole basis for asserting the refinishing was done by the factory was the quality of the job.  I do not recall he exposed the underside of the barrel but that would have been fascinating Smile

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
August 11, 2017 - 2:43 pm

The “REBORE” and “REFINISHED” markings and their history are way beyond my pay grade as I have no experience with them.  I will state that the top edge of the bolt looks exactly like the ones I’ve touched-up with cold blue on some of my old shooter grade Winchesters.  My interest here is with the practice some sellers have of starting a sale at 1¢ and then put a RESERVE price of $ thousands.  The prior listing on this rifle that ended on 6/24 got up to $7450 but the reserve price was never met.

This discussion belongs on a different thread so I’ve started one here:  https://winchestercollector.org/forum/general-discussions-questions/internet-autions-starting-at-1%c2%a2-with-reserve/#p63713

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Old-Win
Guest(s) 196
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600