Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1873 coming up for auction, again.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 15, 2018 - 10:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have had a chance to look at this gun the last week or so and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this gun?  Whoever bought this in Sept from Rock Island has consigned it to an auction house in Ca.   The paperwork includes the Factory letter and a small portion of the Factory ledger.  The ledger does not state the barrel length, the compass, presentation plaque, or swivels.  But does mention Stabler.

Is the barrel address in the normal location and what is the cut on the barrel rearward of the rear sight?  The sights are not what should be on the gun unless there are beaches that I have never seen.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/74/3014/historic-documented-winchester-factory-presentation-first-model

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 16, 2018 - 12:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Chuck,

The cut you are seeing is a flat that is milled on round barrel guns so the sight elevator has a good place to ride. Its on most round barrel guns of the time. The barrel address is set back from its normal position, I would guess the gun was ordered with a specific sight radius so they moved the address to accommodate it. I would expect a gold washed beach front from the letter but I don’t know what the tang sight is.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
November 16, 2018 - 12:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Front-sight.jpgImage EnlargerRear-sight.jpgImage EnlargerTang-sight.jpgImage Enlarger1873man said
Chuck,

The cut you are seeing is a flat that is milled on round barrel guns so the sight elevator has a good place to ride. Its on most round barrel guns of the time. The barrel address is set back from its normal position, I would guess the gun was ordered with a specific sight radius so they moved the address to accommodate it. I would expect a gold washed beach front from the letter but I don’t know what the tang sight is.

Bob  

Robert here is a pic of the cut I was talking about. Not the flat for the elevator.  I have never seen any of the 3 sights on this gun before on a Winchester?  Don’t know why 3 pics loaded in another spot?

Rear-sight-2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 16, 2018 - 1:21 am

Chuck,

I see the cut your referring to now. That looks like it was not a factory cut. The slot does not have a flat bottom to it either from what I can see. I have no idea what it would of been for,

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 16, 2018 - 3:14 pm

The cut looks like it was done with a hacksaw blade long ago. That is a shame. As to why, no idea. The barrel address placement is unusual, but looks correct, and look like Bob I believe it was likely special order. Very nice, unique, and interesting piece. I’d still love to have it.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Maverick, Papa_Chavez
Guest(s) 182
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600