Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1873, 22 cal sights/extractor/repair
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 67
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 17, 2017 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Members, I have finally ‘pulled the trigger’ on an 1873 in 22 Short.  I was very happy to get it and look forward to shooting it soon.

However, it does not have the correct sights, at least my understanding?  What would be the correct sights for one of these rifles made in June of 1888?  I know there will be a ‘standard’ from Winchester, and perhaps there were also optional ones for that period that would be great for the 22 Short?  thanks

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
November 18, 2017 - 12:07 am

Elliot,

The standard sights for it at that time would be a solid 21 front sight (no screw) and a sporting rear with the screw and sliding notch if you go by catalog date. The sporting rear with the screw first showed up in the November 1887 catalog so if you had a solid sporting rear and it looks like it been on there I would leave it. There could of been all kinds of optional sights and tang sight that could of been installed. Did you letter it yet? What is the serial number?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2344
November 18, 2017 - 2:04 am

The rear sight is not the type with the screw. It is a solid one piece type, serrated, with the first type elevator. 1873 man is correct about the front sight. My M1873 22 short # 325880B, from 1889, seems to be a 100% correct rifle according to everything I have read. No signs of tampering and the rifle is near 80% which is really good for a M1873 22. They are extremely fun to shoot with CCI Target Shorts, or CCI CB shorts. Good catch too.   Big Larry

DSCF0641.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
November 18, 2017 - 2:33 am

Bob, thanks, unfortunately, the rear sight is not the full or half Buckhorn.  It is flat on the top, and my have been filed.  It does have the center notch, and is 3″ in overall length.  It does have the correct front shape.

The front sight is the same as the 1890, with the ‘Pat Nov 4, 1902’, which is clearly wrong.  I wasn’t sure if the front sporting sight should have the little screw or not, but you are confirming no screw.

It has a letter, and the warehouse date is June 6, 1888.  It was Octagon, Plain Trigger, 24″ barrel.  Hope this helps in further info, thanks

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
November 22, 2017 - 7:09 pm

I too will be joining the Model 73 .22 caliber club soon!!!!Laugh

WACA Member
November 22, 2017 - 11:26 pm

mjuarez0829 said
I too will be joining the Model 73 .22 caliber club soon!!!!Laugh  

Man, mine is my favorite 22. Big Larry

WACA Member
December 29, 2017 - 7:32 pm

Everyone, I need to replace the missing ejector spring on this 73, .22.  It won’t eject without it.  I also have another lever that needs some relatively minor work.  Both jobs are probably over my pay grade.  Does anyone have a really good vintage gun smith?  There is no one in this area that I would trust.  Perhaps I could do the spring replacement if I had the part.  Regardless, I really need a go-to person for lever repairs.  thanks, Elliot

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 29, 2017 - 7:45 pm

Elliot,

This is the extractor that you need but he is sold out now. Where abouts do you live.

Extractor

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
December 29, 2017 - 8:44 pm

thanks, here is the picture of the extractor.

I think the one I have is the two piece one, but not sure.  The way the Homestead states the .22 part, it is consistent with mine.  However, it could be that the extractor in broken off at the tale, very hard to know.

I am in Tyler, Texas, but I can ship it to anywhere there is someone that can do the professional repair and restore to factory original.  thanks, Elliot

DSC_4770x1.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
December 30, 2017 - 1:19 am

Mine was broke as well, but I got the rifle from Doug Turnbull, not a restoration, and he fixed it under his warranty policy. Mine is 129 years old and that company fixed it for free under warranty. They paid shipping to and from. I don’t know if they take in work, but you might ask.   Big Larry

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 30, 2017 - 4:38 am

Elliot,

I looked around the web and couldn’t find one. One sold on ebay earlier this month. There are two different types of extractors for the 73 22 one with the pivot pin at the front end like you need and one with the pin towards the back. The extractor are one piece. The tail that broke off of yours was the part that acted as the spring. Keep an eye on Ebay they show up now and then or the whole bolt with the extractor.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
December 30, 2017 - 6:03 am

I know someone out here in California that makes all parts for a 73.   Even .22 parts. Pm me for his info if you like.

WACA Member
December 30, 2017 - 4:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!

I happened to leave a message with Turnbull yesterday.

Good news is that mine is the one piece, I think it is probably easier to find, and or, make.  Will keep looking, let me know if you hear of one, snag it and I will reimburse!  I can always use a spare.

Still would like input on a good lever gunsmith.  I need to fix my TD 94 that has the ‘wobble’ and bent ‘riser/loader’.  I just don’t trust myself on these more serious lever repairs.  Maybe someday I will be comfortable working on them, like I do the bolt/slide 22s.

When I took the 73 to the range and discovered it had the broke ejector, I fired it anyway.  I held my finger on the end of the ejector and it worked ok.  It was amazing to shot.  The action is very sound and the bore is so good that the group was very good.  The most remarkable thing was that with my ‘ears on’, you could not hear the report.  When I first fired it, I thought it had misfired, or I had a broken firing pin.  There was absolutely no sensation of the cartridge firing.  The rifle is so heavy that the little .22 Short makes no ‘impression’.  Anyway, it was FUN for an old man.  Look forward to it performing as original.

I did buy an appropriate front sight, without the screw.  I am looking for the rear, with or without the center slide w/screw, in the serrated edge.  Mine apparently is newer than the checkered side, but older than the smooth side.  Once I have the ejector and rear sight, I am good to go.  I really appreciate all the help!! Elliot

WACA Member
January 1, 2018 - 1:45 am

Try some CCI  22 short CB’s. Very accurate and quieter than standard shorts. I also find CCI 22 target shorts to work very well in my M1873 22 short. Our Sportmans Whse keep getting in new supplies of shorts and longs and I have been buying them 400 rds at a time. Not going to be caught with my pants down in the next ammo crisis. I had over 30,000 rds of Long Rifle during the last crisis, but no shorts or longs. Enjoy your M1873 22. I really like mine.  Big Larry

Winchester-M1873-22-short.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
January 1, 2018 - 3:36 pm

thanks, I have some cb’s, and targets, but haven’t tried them yet.  My new ejector will be here next week, after the repair, will go to the range and try them all, Happy New Year, Elliot

WACA Member
January 1, 2018 - 4:44 pm

Be sure to keep us up on your new treasure. I just got mine recently and it is my favorite rifle, right up there with my M1886. Good luck and Happy New Year.  Big LarrySmileSmileSmile

WACA Member
January 9, 2018 - 8:38 pm

Gentlemen, making progress, I think?

Here is the repro from Holloway that I just received.

20180109_140902-5.jpgImage Enlarger

However, it is different from the one I purchased on eBay, original, and will be here by Friday. One of them isn’t correct, what is your thinking? thanks, Elliot

s-l1600-3.jpgImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 9, 2018 - 11:50 pm

Hopefully one will work. The one on the Homestead site looks different from either of the two you found. 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 10, 2018 - 4:41 am

TXGunNut, thanks, this is the image of the Homestead, it looks very close to the original that is coming on Friday.  It is clearly not like the repro I just got.

7018.jpgImage Enlarger

thanks, Elliot

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 10, 2018 - 2:59 pm

Elliot,

Remove the old one and compare them to it even thou your missing part of it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: