Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Win 1895 flat side measurement
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 3, 2021 - 5:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am looking for the barrel diameter where it meets the receiver.

I am working on a Flat side project gun and ordered a non factory replacement barrel with correct roll marks.  I did not have the original barrel. I received the barrel and every thing looks great but the fore end channel is too narrow to fit around this barrel. Maybe I got the wrong fore end, but it looks correct with the Ebony insert. The dimensions of the replacement barrel are spot on for my 1895 that was made in 1903, but those receivers are wider. So if some one has a flat side and can give me this measurement that would be great. 

Thanks Ben

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
September 3, 2021 - 6:53 pm

Ben,

There is more than the dimension you are seeking that goes into the fitment.  First, is the fore end for a round or an octagonal barrel?  Secondly, do you know the original configuration of the rifle you are trying to remake?  Measuring several of my 1895’s showed the round barrels essentially the same diameter just ahead of the receiver whether first or second variations.  The octagonal barrel measured across the flats was significantly narrower.  Thirdly, the extractor on first variation rifles is located differently in the bolt than on second variation rifles.  If your replacement barrel is not cut correctly then the extractor will not go into the notch with a first variation bolt.  Those parts are not inter changeable.  As I see it, you are going to need first variation parts all the way, with but a few that are common.  I think you have yourself a significant project to complete.  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 201
September 3, 2021 - 7:20 pm

Hello Ben

I have an original M 1895 Flatside in .30 US, the fore-end of which does not seem to fit my barrel and is too wide, especially at the front.

As far as I know, the M95s come in two different sizes depending on the caliber. Where did you get your forend from? I could use the smaller one.

Greetings from Germany

Stefan

WACA Guest
September 3, 2021 - 7:34 pm

Tim,  I did leave out a few details. The configuration is round barrel ,sporting rifle, in 30 US. The fore end is a schnabel with ebony insert. The fore arm tip is smaller than my 1895  in 35 Win so that seems correct for a 30 caliber. I did compare bolt faces and you are correct. One extractor is at about 11:30 and the other is at 11:00. I just want to verify if the flat side barrel dimensions are different before calling the gunsmith who made my replacement barrel, this will help get it corrected.

Actually the barrel is the last piece. New stock has been fitted with correct butt plate, oiled to match the fore end. It is a puzzle though, but I have been entertained by Winchester puzzles for over 20 years. 

WACA Member
September 4, 2021 - 3:55 am

Ben,

My early, first variation rifles in .30 US measure right at 1.113 to 1.120, just ahead of the receiver.  I did not measure at the tip of the fore end.  Tim

WACA Guest
September 5, 2021 - 1:39 am

Tim,

That is the measurement range that I get from my 35 Win from 1903 and the new replacement barrel. When I found this gun the stock was shortened, it was reblued and the barrel had been replaced with a non Winchester barrel and stamped 30-40. This barrel fits the forearm perfectly and measures 1.020 at the receiver. If you have the Book Winchester Model 1895 by Rob Kassab and Brad Dunbar. On he page 161 it shows a comparison of the forearm between a 30 caliber and 35 caliber and this is exactly the difference that I have so I am confident that the forearm is original. There is no way that they added wood to the forearm to make the channel narrower. I know this isn’t a collector gun but it will be a shooter, and I don’t want it to go to he scrap heap of time.

So if your measurements are from a first model, flat side, are they the sporting model or a carbine?  I appreciate you taking your time with this. 

WACA Member
September 5, 2021 - 2:13 pm

Ben,  My measurements are from flat side deluxe pistol gripped rifles.  FWIW, they are in the book you cite and you can view them in several locations and chapters.    And yes, my second variation rifle in .35 Win measures essentially the same at the receiver as I had originally stated.  Tim

WACA Guest
September 6, 2021 - 5:35 pm

Tim,

That is a mighty fine looking rifle.

I have some thinking to do about fitting this barrel. Thanks again for the measurements.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, mrcvs, 426crown, tionesta1, antler1, clarence, Antonio, TR
Guest(s) 91
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727