Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Win 1894 SRC date?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 37
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 23, 2021 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

New member, first post. I recently picked up a pair of Winchester lever actions, which are the first two I have ever owned, although I have been shooting and collecting Model 70s for many years. I have a question about dating the 1894 carbine on the top of the photo. The serial number is 305484 and looking through a few different references, including my copy of Madis’ Winchester Book, I am seeing a few different dates, ranging from 1903 to 1906, which is confusing. I’m also wondering what the correct rear sight would be for this gun, seeing as how the one on it is broken. The other rifle is a Model 1892 in 25-20. Thanks for any help!

http://i.imgur.com/jCu2cvnh.jpgImage Enlarger
http://i.imgur.com/lnsvT8Vh.jpgImage Enlarger
http://i.imgur.com/21joFLih.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 24, 2021 - 4:24 am

S/N 305484 was manufactured in May of 1906. As it applies Winchester dates of manufacture, the information George Madis published is not accurate. You can get the exact date of manufacture for this gun by contacting the Cody Firearms Museum (CFM) records office. For a reasonable fee they will provide a Factory letter with all of the details recorded in the original Winchester factory ledger records.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
January 24, 2021 - 12:20 pm

Thanks for confirming the date. Do the factory records include shipping destination like Colt or just the date of manufacture? I doubt this one will come up with any special features. It looks like a pretty standard SRC but does appear it might have been used as as a guard gun judging by the wear patterns and it has a rack number scratched into the buttplate.

WACA Guest
January 24, 2021 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

While I’m asking about dates, the Model 1892 is sn 869299. Would that date to 1919 or earlier? It is marked “Model 1892” on the upper tang.

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 24, 2021 - 6:04 pm

[email protected] said
Thanks for confirming the date. Do the factory records include shipping destination like Colt or just the date of manufacture? I doubt this one will come up with any special features. It looks like a pretty standard SRC but does appear it might have been used as as a guard gun judging by the wear patterns and it has a rack number scratched into the buttplate.  

The shipping destination was very seldom ever recorded in the warehouse ledger records.  What will be on the letter is the date it was serialized, the date it was received in the warehouse from the assembly room, the configuration & caliber, and the date it shipped (sold) with the order number.  If there were any special order features, those are typically on the factory letter as well.

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 24, 2021 - 6:06 pm

[email protected] said
While I’m asking about dates, the Model 1892 is sn 869299. Would that date to 1919 or earlier? It is marked “Model 1892” on the upper tang.  

June 1919.  This serial number is outside of the range that the CFM can letter for you.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 24, 2021 - 10:58 pm

Welcome, Matt. Couple of nice looking lever guns to start your lever collection. Rear sight on the 94 may have been cut off to fill the dovetail while using a tang sight. I don’t know if it’s true with Model 70’s but many of us have noticed that once we add the second lever gun they just seem to start showing up. Seems to happen with rimfire Winchesters as well. You’ve been warned!

Wink

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
January 24, 2021 - 11:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks for the welcome. Two weeks ago I had no lever guns, and I wasn’t really in the market for them, but in the span of a couple weeks two of them fell into my lap for really cheap prices, so I guess that makes me a collector now!

As far as the sight goes, I believe it was originally a 3-leaf express that was broken into a jagged shard when I got the carbine. It was quite a hazard so I cut it back to the dovetail and reshaped it rather than risk slicing my hand open on it. I am looking around for an appropriate replacement, but I probably won’t spring for an original carbine sight unless I get really lucky. Something like a Marbles 95L would suffice on this gun.

I also got a chance to shoot the 1892 rifle today. It was quite pleasant to shoot, but I was disappointed in the accuracy using some vintage Remington 25-20 ammo. Not sure if I can blame the gun, ammo or shooter yet! This rifle needs a Lyman No. 1 tang sight, and in fact had one on it at one point because it still has the longer tangs screws.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 25, 2021 - 3:37 am

Matt-

How’s the bore in the 92? A nice one in 25-20 is quite a find but if it’s anything like the 32-20 it’s a sweet shooter. Marble Arms makes a nice “shooter” tang sight for the 92 but even they can be a bit pricey.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
January 25, 2021 - 4:48 am

The bore on the ’92 is pretty good. Some frosting in the grooves, but it’s shiny with strong rifling and no pitting. I’d like to get a vintage Lyman to go with it. For what i paid, I can easily afford to spend a bit on a nice sight.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307