Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Where are all the 1894's?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 29, 2017 - 1:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I am only interested in the early ones, well under a million in serial number. However, since 7.5 million plus were produced, seems to me every gun shop and gun show would be saturated with these, especially the later ones, and you simply don’t see them for sale. Not sure why as most would be post 64 junk that would not be an appreciating asset.

Edit: I should say I still see a lot of earlier ones for sale, 1890’s to 1930’s, but none of the later ones.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
June 29, 2017 - 1:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Many folks around here in northern NY still hunt with them, and don’t give a rat’s arse for your 7mm Rem Mags, 300 Win Mags, etc., that occupy the gun mag ads; so why would they part with them?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
June 29, 2017 - 4:31 am

clarence said
Many folks around here in northern NY still hunt with them, and don’t give a rat’s arse for your 7mm Rem Mags, 300 Win Mags, etc., that occupy the gun mag ads; so why would they part with them?  

Here in Oregon, we shoot rats’ arses with ’em.  Stops the monsters even when in full charge!  Come to think of it, hitting their arses in a full frontal charge takes a fine and ticklish trigger finger.

I don’t see many nice rifles for sale around here.  And those that are usually are overpriced.  Many of the old ones have been “in the family” for generations.  Those have a tendency to stay home.  I’ve wondered too why they are so elusive.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
June 29, 2017 - 4:39 am

Because we are primarily “Pre-64” Winchester collectors, my focus has been on finding and surveying all 2,600,011 of the Model 1894/94, Model 55, and Model 64s that fit into that category. To that extent, I have recorded the statistical configuration information for 18,183 of them thus far, and I add an average of 6.3 new entries to my research survey daily. They are definitely still out there, it just takes time and a little effort to find them.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
June 29, 2017 - 5:55 am

I have one for your data base.  A Model 1894 with DOM 1907 in .30WCF.  I’m in the process of cleaning it for a friend who wants to sell it.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
June 29, 2017 - 4:05 pm

[email protected] said
I have one for your data base.  A Model 1894 with DOM 1907 in .30WCF.  I’m in the process of cleaning it for a friend who wants to sell it.  

Please provide all of the details about it.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

South Tx
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 105
July 1, 2017 - 3:08 am

I see a fair amount but they are overpriced or butchered.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
July 1, 2017 - 4:09 pm

They’re out there, a few have even followed me home in recent years without much of a struggle. Even took one hunting last year, did a fine job of filling my freezer. Not many folks still hunt with them around here but I’m OK with that. Finding a good one is part of the fun of collecting Winchesters, happy hunting!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
July 1, 2017 - 5:55 pm

Clarification: I was implying that for something of such great quantity, a lot of the later ones ought to be for sale all over the place. Any vintage gun show has about a hundred for sale in the pre 1.5 million serial number range.

WACA Member
July 1, 2017 - 6:59 pm

mrcvs said
Clarification: I was implying that for something of such great quantity, a lot of the later ones ought to be for sale all over the place. Any vintage gun show has about a hundred for sale in the pre 1.5 million serial number range.  

I’ve been giving that a bit of thought myself. I suspect the vast majority are “Grandpa’s old gun” in the back of a closet or in collections owned by inactive collectors. You’re seeing more of these rifles than I am but I go to very few shows. Don’t forget that more than a few were exported and will likely never return. We’re seeing a few interesting collections come into the marketplace and I’m looking forward to seeing many more if I take care of myself.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
July 1, 2017 - 8:27 pm

Just remembered–and it was painful:  Saw a photograph in a newspaper some time ago of an large, overflowing bin of firearms next to a fellow with a hefty metal-saw.  The guns had been turned in for a set amount of money, no questions asked.  On top of the pile, and soon to be halved, was a fine 1873 Winchester.  Makes a body ill thinking of how many beautiful handguns and rifles were being destroyed.

Some are lost to those types of round-ups.  Others are out West, waiting to be found, leaning up against Juniper trees!

And don’t forget this guy has/had a “few”.   –Type in this in an internet photo search:  “stolen guns Nicholson”.  Looking at the butts in the stack, there Be Winchesters!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
July 2, 2017 - 10:54 pm

FromTheWoods said
Just remembered–and it was painful:  Saw a photograph in a newspaper some time ago of an large, overflowing bin of firearms next to a fellow with a hefty metal-saw.  The guns had been turned in for a set amount of money, no questions asked.  On top of the pile, and soon to be halved, was a fine 1873 Winchester.  Makes a body ill thinking of how many beautiful handguns and rifles were being destroyed.

Some are lost to those types of round-ups.  Others are out West, waiting to be found, leaning up against Juniper trees!

And don’t forget this guy has/had a “few”.   –Type in this in an internet photo search:  “stolen guns Nicholson”.  Looking at the butts in the stack, there Be Winchesters!  

Years ago, a picture in the San Diego Tribune was a picture of Police Officers in San Diego on a small boat out in the ocean. They were throwing confiscated guns into the deep sea. Prominently displayed, about to be thrown in, was a Henry rifle. Talk about stupidity? It was a real one. They didn’t make repro’s back then. Back in the 50’s SDPD sold these guns to the public. Now, Davy Jones has quite a collection.   Big Larry

WACA Guest
July 3, 2017 - 10:35 pm

My middle son enjoys Scuba diving.  If you give us a heads-up when they are loading their boat, later when they anchor, we’ll spread a net under them.  We can take turns choosing which guns we want to take home.  You can even have first choice!

An original Henry!  Horrible!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
July 4, 2017 - 1:22 pm

Folks,

Last night’s paper had an article about St. Louis and a company operating there.  It was formed by a retired/former police officer to grind up confiscated firearms.  The service is provided free to the various police agencies, but makes its income by salvaging parts from the weapons.  Says there is an internal video taken to prove the destruction of each weapon, which is also recorded by serial number.  One St. Louis suburb agency says they destroy about 50 per year from their precinct alone.  Business comes in from Kansas City, throughout MO, and some from IA.  I am also reminded of what happened in the early 70’s at Ft. Huachuca, AZ, when the firearms that used to be owned by Recreation Services for rent were taken to the post maintenance facility and cut up with a torch.  One was reportedly a model 1912 in a very high grade.  Destruction of such weapons gives me the shivers, but I try to remind myself that their demise only makes the survivors worth more.  Keep repeating that, maybe it will help.

Tim

WACA Member
July 4, 2017 - 2:45 pm

Destruction of such weapons gives me the shivers, but I try to remind myself that their demise only makes the survivors worth more.  Keep repeating that, maybe it will help.Tim

You’re right, and I know that you’re right, but it still makes me angry and even a bit ill sometimes when I read about the destruction of these fine old guns. Ft Worth PD used to do a buy-back years ago (maybe still do) and all serial numbers were checked for stolen. At least one officer told me that they were concerned that some weapons had been used in crimes and the program was destroying evidence but the program was a political success. Most of the guns were clunkers but a few nice ones were turned in and destroyed.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
July 4, 2017 - 3:08 pm

I would think that the destruction of antique Winchesters by police departments is insignificant compared to that done by gun dealers who part out antiques and sell them on GunBroke and eBay.  There’s a guy in Canada who regularly parts out old Winchesters and another in Arkansas who probably parts out 3 – 5 guns weekly.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
July 6, 2017 - 7:59 am

I think I have found the answer on where all the M1894’s are. In mine and Mr. Hills safe.   Big Larry

DSCF9534.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
July 6, 2017 - 9:48 am

Big Larry said
I think I have found the answer on where all the M1894’s are. In mine and Mr. Hills safe.   Big Larry

DSCF9534.JPGImage Enlarger  

IMG_0303-1.JPGImage EnlargerI have a few too.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
July 6, 2017 - 1:39 pm

Wincacher said
I would think that the destruction of antique Winchesters by police departments is insignificant compared to that done by gun dealers who part out antiques and sell them on GunBroke and eBay.  There’s a guy in Canada who regularly parts out old Winchesters and another in Arkansas who probably parts out 3 – 5 guns weekly.  

You omitted the former KING of gun-breakers, Buckingham’s of Tennessee; 20 yrs ago, it was a very rare Win. part you couldn’t find by calling his well-advertised number.  But I’m surprised it’s still profitable to do this, when I see what pitiful junkers often bring on GunBroke.

Have the feeling that, most of the time, in general, the guns for which such parts are needed are not in much better shape than those from which the parts are taken; if so, it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.   

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
July 6, 2017 - 2:42 pm

clarence said

You omitted the former KING of gun-breakers, Buckingham’s of Tennessee; 20 yrs ago, it was a very rare Win. part you couldn’t find by calling his well-advertised number.  But I’m surprised it’s still profitable to do this, when I see what pitiful junkers often bring on GunBroke.

Have the feeling that, most of the time, in general, the guns for which such parts are needed are not in much better shape than those from which the parts are taken; if so, it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.     

Yes, because I heard of him only a couple of years ago, before he passed.  I suspect you are right on the money.  A couple of years ago I called Buckingham looking for an 1885 barrel in a specific caliber and configuration.  He went to his shed in back and rummaged through 27 Single Shot barrels, but none that met my specs.  Obviously, that’s at least 27 specimens he removed from circulation!

(I did buy a part from him, a sear for a Model 1886 Single Set Trigger.  He gave me the option of getting an slightly worn original or a factory replacement part.)

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1873man, TXGunNut, Randycrockett, TG
Guest(s) 185
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571