Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Very interesting factory letter for Winchester M1895
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 17, 2018 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

And not a museum letter but a Winchester factory letter – from 1920.

I found this fascinating.  And by the way, if you read through it, it looks like the purchaser did, as Winchester suggested, send the rifle back for a new barrel as it now has a 28 inch barrel.  Another interesting point, it appears when the purchaser sent the rifle back to Winchester the first time, they did cut the barrel off for him and shorten it as he requested.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1030/4080/winchester-model-1895-lever-action-rifle-with-factory-letter

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
February 17, 2018 - 5:10 pm

Interesting letter, but look closely at the sharp point of the comb created by the deep flute at the wrist–not right.  Buttstock has either been replaced or reshaped. Brand of pad should have been noted, to indicate whether it was one of those used by WRA.  Gun has had a hard life, judging by description.

WACA Member
February 17, 2018 - 5:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

In re-reading the letter, Winchester quotes the owner of the rifle, a price of $15.50 to install a 20 inch round barrel.  One wonders what the owner had specifically requested.  We of course see the rifle now has a 28 inch barrel.  I also note that Williams mentions that before the rifle left the factory it was tested with 220 grain bullets at both 50 and 200 yards, “and at that time gave a very satisfactory target.”  Did they still have the target to refer to or was he just speaking generically?

I agree the rifle has had a hard life.  I suspect it could tell countless fascinating and exciting stories.  One wonders what details are recorded in the factory ledger on this rifle.  It would be most interesting to know if they recorded that they cut the barrel on the rifle when it was returned the first time.  And of course, what other alterations they performed on the rifle would be interesting.  Any reference to a recoil pad would be most interesting.

I see the rifle was made in 1914.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
February 17, 2018 - 7:35 pm

The ramp style front sight with hood seems pretty modern for a gun made in 1914. The letter may not even be for this rifle as no serial number is mentioned. A record search would be interesting.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
February 18, 2018 - 1:11 am

Good points. Sad thing is the letter is more interesting than the rifle. Too many issues with the stock and barrel. Agree that a Cody letter could prove interesting as well.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
February 18, 2018 - 2:11 am

It’s too bad the only available Cody records for the model 1895 are serial numbers 1-59999.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
February 18, 2018 - 3:29 am

deerhunter said
It’s too bad the only available Cody records for the model 1895 are serial numbers 1-59999.  

But good for whomever is selling it!

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
February 18, 2018 - 3:36 am

clarence said

But good for whomever is selling it!  

Very true.  Like a “get out of jail free” card.  Seems that gets used a lot these days.

WACA Member
February 18, 2018 - 12:42 pm

I agree with the point that it should not be overlooked that the letter from the factory does not reference the rifle’s serial number.  However, in the case of this rifle, it is not by any measure, a collector item and will sell as a shooter/hunter.  The letter is an interesting piece of Winchester memorabilia and is much more interesting than the rifle. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: wally, Jim McKee, TR, Papa_Chavez, Chris WIldhunter, SureShot, wclary, Clem K
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2305
mrcvs: 1727