Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Very fancy model 1894 sold for $207k in December Rock Island Auction with Proof Steel barrel????
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1386
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 18, 2018 - 8:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This model 1894 (sn 161786) sold at December Premier Auction for $207,000 and has a Proof Steel barrel?? Why do you suppose it has the proof steel barrel?  I know it was a factory exhibition gun and the last time it was returned was 1918. Before the Proof steel barrels came out,  I thought.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/2016/j-ulrich-signed-engraved-winchester-model-1894-exhibition-rifle

Al

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10845
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 18, 2018 - 8:52 pm

Al,

Not only is it an incorrect Proof Steel barrel, it is marked “MODEL 94”, and it also has the “P” proof mark on it.  Winchester did not begin using Proof Steel barrels on the Model 94 until mid-year 1932.  Additionally, the factory letter states that it was a 38-55, and the barrel now on it is a 30 WCF.  Further, while John Ulrich may have originally engraved that rifle, he did not engrave the barrel now on it.  In my personal opinion, there is no way on earth that it was worth even 25% of the price it sold for, and I would view the barrel as a non-factory replaced item.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 18, 2018 - 9:50 pm

I had a 1886 deluxe engraved gun with a similar letter. It was made in 1896 never sold, the letter was two pages of shipments to sales people including the Worlds Fair for display. The features were changed three times, big changes that did not make sense, the last entry was 1927, as of that date it still belonged to Winchester. No record of sale. At what point in time did they stop writing on the old shipping ledger? I have run into two other guns with similar letters since. The barrel could be right. My gun had three sets of assembly numbers, traces of gold inside, a later style butt stock, style of engraving changed, and a takedown feature added with a tapered oct barrel. The gun was a real and honest Winchester original. Remember the Cody Letter is from a shipping room record not a order or manufacturing record. It is important not to over clean this type of gun, when you are deciding if it is honest you what to see storage age. T/R    

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5050
January 18, 2018 - 11:01 pm

Very interesting. The video at the bottom of the listing also features an 1873 “One of One Thousand”. Not very good at navigating their site, anyone know what it sold for?

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1386
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 18, 2018 - 11:34 pm

Bert H. said
Al,

Not only is it an incorrect Proof Steel barrel, it is marked “MODEL 94”, and it also has the “P” proof mark on it.  Winchester did not begin using Proof Steel barrels on the Model 94 until mid-year 1932.  Additionally, the factory letter states that it was a 38-55, and the barrel now on it is a 30 WCF.  Further, while John Ulrich may have originally engraved that rifle, he did not engrave the barrel now on it.  In my personal opinion, there is no way on earth that it was worth even 25% of the price it sold for, and I would view the barrel as a non-factory replaced item.

Bert  

Bert,

I saw the other obvious barrel discrepincies. I just could not believe the price it went for, being that wrong.

Al

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 118
January 18, 2018 - 11:54 pm

I think that 1873 hit $488,000, if memory serves me correctly….

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 19, 2018 - 12:32 am

Winchester played with this gun for 20-40 years, refinishing and changing features. We don’t know when Winchester sold the gun, if any work was done after Winchester sold it, and if it was factory or not. The Provenance of this gun is the Norm Flayderman and Mac McCroskie collections, that’s like the Pope and Abe Lincoln.  I don’t know if the gun is right but if these guy’s owned it people will step up to the plate with real money. The price does not surprise me. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
January 19, 2018 - 1:06 am

There is a lot more available info for us today than  the Great Old Time collectors had. This proves to me that Provenance is still King.

Walter

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, 1ned1, tionesta1, Mark Douglas, Antonio, Rick C
Guest(s) 162
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323