Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Value of Winchester 1892 Argentine Police Model.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Zach
WACA Guest
March 16, 2022 - 4:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi all,

Figured I’d get on here and post. Recently found an interesting rifle. 1892 Winchester with both a .44 and .45 barrel. Stamped argentine police. It’s at an auction and I’m wondering how much to pay for this rare specimen. 

Thanks,

Zach

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 17, 2022 - 6:41 pm

Zach said
Hi all,

Figured I’d get on here and post. Recently found an interesting rifle. 1892 Winchester with both a .44 and .45 barrel. Stamped argentine police. It’s at an auction and I’m wondering how much to pay for this rare specimen. 

Thanks,

Zach  

So one barrel is mounted on the gun and the other barrel is an extra barrel?  Can you tell if the .45 barrel is .45 ACP or .45 Colt.  And, is it a rifle, or is it a carbine?

Zach
WACA Guest
March 17, 2022 - 11:17 pm

Correct. .45 Barrel says .45 LC. I purchased it. I paid $790 after fees. I figured with both barrels and being in unmolested shape, it was probably worth that.

Zach
WACA Guest
March 17, 2022 - 11:28 pm

looks to be a carbine

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
March 18, 2022 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Zach said
Hi all,

Thanks,

Zach  

Sorry for the delayed response Zach.  I was out hiking in the Grand Canyon and not about to be lugging my computer along with me for the trip.  An extra nine pounds of camera equipment was enough!  

I have found 22 similarly marked Model 1892 saddle ring carbines while doing my survey of the 1892/92 rifles.   Can you post some images of the rifle and the serial number so I can add yours into the data also?  I would say that your $970 price tag is definitely a good price for the gun.  Has the barrel been shortened as in the rifle shown below?

149171415.jpgImage Enlarger149171418.jpgImage Enlarger

Michael

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
March 18, 2022 - 2:17 pm

Hello from La Pampa Argentina

In an argentine weapons forum a few days ago they wrote the history of those rifles

http://foro.fullaventura.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=188375

https://foro-fullaventura-com.translate.goog/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=188375&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es-419

Greetings

Zach
WACA Guest
March 18, 2022 - 2:26 pm

Thanks for send that Jose. Reading it now!

Zach
WACA Guest
March 18, 2022 - 2:31 pm

Sent another message but it didn’t go through, I don’t believe. Serial number is 886219. Both barrels are only 15.5″ in size. Before anyone mentions it, I have already sent an email to the ATF regarding the situation, as it is my understanding that this weapon will need an exemption letter due to the current laws regarding SBR’s. That being said, I also realize that this is quite a rare find and is essentially valueless until I attain the exemption form to legitimize it. I am currently taking every step necessary to abide by any rules and regulations. That being said, it doesn’t appear too difficult to attain exemption letters for these historical [Image Can Not Be Found]firearms. 

I’ve also tried to attach some photos for reference. Thanks

Zach
WACA Guest
March 18, 2022 - 4:12 pm

Also, figured I’d clarify. Barrel currently on rifle is a .44 WCF. On rifle it measures at 15″. My understanding is that if this is original barrel to the rifle (also have the .45 LC barrel in the same measurement, but it’s not installed) I should be good to send it to the ATF and it coming back to me with a letter, correct? Hope so. I’d hate to have it confiscated over 1″ of barrel length on such a neat old gun. 

Thanks

Zach
WACA Guest
March 18, 2022 - 9:23 pm

Scratch that. Not a 15″ barrel. I just picked them up from the auction house and did a measurement using the dowel method. 16″ barrels, both of them. pretty decent little gun. Seems to be in decent shape. Looks like it might have been arsenal refinished in argentina but not 100% sure on that. I’m happy to upload some photos but can’t figure out how. If someone can describe the process to me real quick or have me email them the photos, that’d be much appreciated. Since I will not need the ATF letter, what do you guys think is a reasonable price range for one of these? Thanks, Zach

Zach
WACA Guest
March 18, 2022 - 9:42 pm

Geez. Sorry for flooding the forum. Upon closer inspection of barrel that’s on it, it is actually a Numrich barrel in .44 cal. The barrel that came with is the one marked .45LC. Also, man this is a handy little gun. So, it looks like it’s not a factory .44WCF with 16″ barrel. From everything I’m reading, it looks like it was sent to Argentina, converted to .45 then sent back, and the fellow put a .44WCF 16″ barrel on it. Glad I have the original .45 barrel, but man, it’d be even sweeter if it came with the original 16″ .44WCF barrel. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 18, 2022 - 11:47 pm

I have a vague memory of these.  Specifically that some were chambered in .45ACP but that was thought to be a misinterpretation and they were really chambered in .45 Colt.  However, it turns out many really were chambered in .45 ACP?  So, the known chamberings were .44-40, .45 ACP and .45 Colt?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
March 19, 2022 - 9:59 am

Hello Zach,

As a guest member on the forum you do not have the ability to load images to the forum.  You can send them to me at [email protected] and I will be happy to do so.  Then we can figure this out.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Zach
WACA Guest
March 19, 2022 - 12:41 pm

twobit,

I’ve emailed you a few photos of the rifle. Thanks

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, Tedk