Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
U.S. Indian Police rifle (1894)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 46
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 14, 2019 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

BE929CE5-729D-483E-B2B0-8D3BCE6192E2.jpegImage Enlarger63E557A8-71E2-4D93-8859-55D053C13E82.jpegImage EnlargerAAB164C4-FBF2-46E6-9134-6C0D3066D46D.jpegImage Enlarger8DD23C56-E9E9-4FFF-82FD-99ADE1303AF9.jpegImage EnlargerI have an 1894 src 30wfc manuf in 1903 (sn 226xxx) Inscribed on the right side of the receiver is

U.S. Indian Police  

TAHLEQUAH INDIAN TERRITORY  Followed by a #4 on the lower side of the receiver above the trigger.  That was the capitol of the Cherokee nations following the trail of tears in Oklahoma.  Does anyone know if this would have been a gov. order or ordered by the territory? Inscription at winchester or after? the cherokee were proud of their language and often inscribed anything in their own alphabet.  I am waiting on a Cody letter to see what if any info I can glean there.  Any recommendations as to where else to research?  Rifle ended up in an estate in Fla.  (Seminole were in the same area of Oklahoma at the time).  Thanks for any info

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
August 15, 2019 - 12:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Not sure if you would find anything at the Department of Interior or the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  Would to suggest to start locally with a historian or look for any references in the local newspapers from the period (Tahlequah Arrow).  There appears to be a lot out there on the Tahlequah Indian Territory on the interweb. The 1904 date for the carbine places it subsequent to the timeline when OK Indian police powers were taken over by the US Govt in 1898 with the exception of the Seminoles, according to the article below. 

http://lestweforget.hamptonu.edu/page.cfm?uuid=9FEC4BE4-0CFE-0ACA-15B57C52CED4B765

Without anything substantive leading to provenance I tend to view all these as suspect.  However, the stamping on the carbine looks fairly aged and well executed. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
August 15, 2019 - 1:00 am

I am of the opinion that the marking on the receiver frame was added after it left the Winchester factory.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6281
August 15, 2019 - 1:08 am

1892takedown said

Without anything substantive leading to provenance I tend to view all these as suspect.  However, the stamping on the carbine looks fairly aged and well executed.   

Doesn’t look like the imprint of a roll-die to me–more like what I’ve seen of laser-cutting, which can’t produce sharp corners, as far as I know.

South Texas
WACA Member
August 15, 2019 - 1:55 am

For sure post factory. 

Originally thought it was done with stamp dies because of the halo and it looked like the deepest impressions or imprint profile looked “u” shaped.  But after blowing up the photo and looking at the letters E, A, I, N, and R there are some variations between each letter and some that are not.  If thats the case then it was likely not a die.  Dont know.    

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

NY
WACA Member
August 15, 2019 - 2:12 am

1892takedown said

Originally thought it was done with stamp dies because of the halo and it looked like the deepest impressions or imprint profile looked “u” shaped.  But after blowing up the photo and looking at the letters E, A, I, N, and R there are some variations between each letter and some that are not.  If thats the case then it was likely not a die.  Dont know.      

Look at that long scratch that begins in the first “R” in “territory”–the letters appear to be superimposed on top of it. 

WACA Guest
August 15, 2019 - 2:32 am

Thank you much, Ive read the article you cite, (Quote is my fav Billy currington song as well 🙂  )  I have a friend that has a relative that still lives on the res there and is an elder and has offered to research.  Ill let you know what I find out- Thanks for your time and input

South Texas
WACA Member
August 15, 2019 - 3:03 am

clarence said

1892takedown said

Look at that long scratch that begins in the first “R” in “territory”–the letters appear to be superimposed on top of it.   

I took that to be a forge mark like you commonly see on receivers, this one extends across the receiver through the bottom edge of the guide screw and beyond, unless Im looking at something different than your describing. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

NY
WACA Member
August 15, 2019 - 3:53 pm

1892takedown said

I took that to be a forge mark like you commonly see on receivers, this one extends across the receiver through the bottom edge of the guide screw and beyond, unless Im looking at something different than your describing.   

You’re right, as I see by enlarging this photo again, which makes the lettering look even cruder.  Well, at least the faker picked out a beater to do his faking on, rather than a nice, clean gun.

WACA Guest
August 16, 2019 - 3:14 pm

Better close photoB7C1368D-1787-4D99-B6E1-19DADFEAAEDE.jpegImage EnlargerIt is a forging mark if you look closely it does not appear on the screw but on either side of the hole and is not a scratch. Also the lettering is on top of the mark. Also it starts at the T or before not the 2nd R

South Texas
WACA Member
August 17, 2019 - 5:58 pm

Looking at the pic you added it is pretty clear it was not a stamped, otherwise the letter groups would all look the same.  If you look at each of the matching letters there are variances that lead me to believe they were written or inscribed by hand or using some type of stencil.  Not familiar enough to identify the means used to do the lettering.   Can just tell you from past experience, and as I noted previously, whenever I see these “Indian” rifles they are always suspect with regard to originality in terms of provenance.   

Here is one I had 10 or more years ago that I either bought cheap or was part of a trade.  It was manufactured in 1904.  Didnt find out a whole lot about it with limited research.  While neat and all, maybe original embellishment, maybe not, I was glad to see it go when it did to someone who had more interest in that kind of thing.  

1892-32-20.JPGImage Enlarger1892-32-20-14.JPGImage Enlarger1892-32-20-15.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
August 18, 2019 - 5:12 am

My very first impression was the marking was too well done and too straight with no wear to the letters.  It would be very difficult to stamp one letter at a time and keep it this straight and the letter to such an even depth.  A roll die would have been expensive and require tools to be used plus a fixture to hold the gun or receiver. 

THIS ALL STARTED WITH JUST ONE GUN!

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Old-Win, Byron Russell, Aussie Chris, freebird1968, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 140
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710