Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
The Model 1873 and the lowly .32-20
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 14, 2022 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

clarence said

Ah, the hardships of a speculator’s life!   

Clarence – that made me laugh – Clarence has no sympathy for speculators – what a shock!  LaughLaugh

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
January 14, 2022 - 8:01 pm

TR said
 I know nothing about the gun that started this thread. That said a 1873 in 32-20 has always been the cheapest caliber to buy in a 73!

It is my opinion that many 73 collectors are buying to own a piece of American history, Cowboy and Indian, gun that won the West, 44-40, and Hollywood movies. When you pickup a 1873 made before June of 1876 it could have been at the Little Big Horn, some were. The 32-20 came out in 1882 for the 73 and Colt started using it in the single action in 1887. It’s stopping power is not like the 45 or 44. If you wanted to use one on the frontier, the availability of the cartridges would be limited. Some have called it a eastern gun. When I pickup a 1st model 73 I feel the history, they were all made in 44 cal. T/R  

Steve,

I’m sorry I did not make myself clear, my post was about 1873s in 32-20 caliber in general, not the gun that started the thread.

My opinion on auctions is, lot one the first day is risky!

I have no opinion as to the value of the 73 sold at RIA as I have not seen it. But whatever it is, it would be more if it was a 44.

T/R

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
January 14, 2022 - 8:10 pm

TR said

A consignor, or his confederate, can nullify that risk by putting in his own bid, the least he would accept.  If that proves the highest bid, he owes the auction commission, but incurs no further loss.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 14, 2022 - 8:41 pm

nanzca said
That 73 was shopped around about 15 years ago and the price was well north of $25k. I found the emails from 2008.   

Just getting to this thread now. I’ll say it’s a good deal. I’m with Bob, almost too good to be true & a price typo. Can’t believe it sold for $6900 but I guess it did. Good investment whoever acquired it.

RickC

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
January 14, 2022 - 9:00 pm

TR said

Steve,

I’m sorry I did not make myself clear, my post was about 1873s in 32-20 caliber in general, not the gun that started the thread.

I have no opinion as to the value of the 73 sold at RIA as I have not seen it. But whatever it is, it would be more if it was a 44.

T/R  

T/R  –  I did understand your post as you intended, and I agree with you.  It’s amusing as I think back to my extended family – very much a hunting family.  They would have never had a .32-20 around.  Other than .22 rifles for pests and small game, they had no use for a centerfire rifle that wasn’t suitable for deer.  The only M1873 I ever heard of being owned in the family was a .38-40 that my Dad’s oldest brother used when he was very young.  I think it was his first deer rifle.  

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
January 15, 2022 - 5:24 am

TR said

Steve,

T/R  

In antique car auctions the first car, often the first five, used to have the option of a second trip across the block later in the auction if reserve was not met. I don’t think firearms auctions do this. Maybe they should.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected]
Guest(s) 204
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323