Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Shooting A Winchester Model 1873 (circa 1892)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 15, 2021 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m pretty new to vintage gun collecting and very new to vintage Winchester collecting – I just bought my first. It’s an 1892 Model 1873 chambered .32-20. I have several questions about shooting it.

1. Where can I find ammo? the closest I’ve come to finding any is Buffalo Arms Co. who makes it but is currently out of stock.

2. I suppose this gun was designed for black powder rounds, is there a danger to using smokeless .32-20 if I can find it?

3. I’ve found some vintage .32-20 ammo online and up for auction on gunbroker.com. I bought three various boxes and just received my first box and see that the box has a warning “Do not use in pistols, revolvers or M73 Rifles.” I’ll wait to see what the other 2 boxes look like when they arrive later this week.

4. It was recommended by the selling dealer that I have the gun checked by a gunsmith before firing it, which is the same boilerplate that all vintage gun dealers have. What’s the danger? What are they checking it for?

Sorry if these questions are already answered somewhere on this forum – I couldn’t find them. Surprised

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 15, 2021 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Paul,

The box you got is also marked high velocity which is why its not for the weaker actions. I shoot the smokeless Remington ammo in the green/yellow boxes when I can find it. Its a bad timing to buy a gun and have to find ammo for it but I’m seeing more ammo and reloading stuff show up at my local outlets. The sellers comment is his CYA statement. A gunsmith is going to check the gun for headspace, chamber, bore and the toggles for condition and wear. Make sure here is not a bulge in the barrel and the firing pin is good and the trigger is not a hair trigger.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: