Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Real "1 of 1000" 1873?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 17, 2020 - 5:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

1873man said
There is a wide difference in the engraving patterns on the 1 of 1000’s if you look in the 1 of 1000 books so you can’t go by that instead you have to compare the engraving quality. The engraving on this gun in my option is not up to Winchesters standards, the barrel address is real as far as I can see.

Bob  

I had some awareness that the engraving patterns and inscriptions on the 1 of 1000’s varied.  However I am in agreement with Bob, I don’t think Winchester engraved the inscription on this rifle.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
October 17, 2020 - 9:15 pm

win4575 said
One of the most historic and prominent 1 of 1000 73’s in existence, is coming up for auction at Rock Island in  early December.  This is serial #7282.   This rifle, from the collection of the late John E. Fox, was ordered by Granville Stuart in 1875.  I know this rifle very well as John was a close friend for almost 50 years and we lived just a few miles from eachother.  

Rick I have seen some of John’s Granville collection.  Last time I talked with him was in Denver last year.  He traded for a Colt 1851 pistol.  I don’t remember what he traded, it could have been a Sharps?  I thought it a bit unusual.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
October 17, 2020 - 9:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

In what respect?

Chuck said

Rick I have seen some of John’s Granville collection.  Last time I talked with him was in Denver last year.  He traded for a Colt 1851 pistol.  I don’t remember what he traded, it could have been a Sharps?  I thought it a bit unusual.  

I what respect, did you find it unusual?

WACA Member
October 17, 2020 - 9:51 pm

win4575 said
In what respect?

Chuck said

I what respect, did you find it unusual?  

I didn’t know John collected Colts.  Usually I would look at his Sharps.  If he had Colts on his table I didn’t pay attention to them. Even Carter gave him a hard time.

Montana
WACA Member
October 17, 2020 - 11:41 pm

This is just a guess, but John probably had 75 to 100 Colt revolvers in his collection.  Many percutions, conversions and single actions.  He had over 20 single action that had been lettered as shipped to Montana.  He was a history collector.  Condition was secondary, to the documented history of the gun. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
October 17, 2020 - 11:50 pm

I have a Colt from Montana. Supposedly taken from a member of the Plummer gang. The guy I bought it from said his grandpa bought it from the Sheriff office. He then made a really nice set of Elk antler grips. The grips have grandpa’s name inside. I got it with an original time period holster with floral patter and brand style initials that would match a Plummer gang member. No other provenance. 

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Montana
WACA Member
October 18, 2020 - 12:12 am

Old Logger said
I have a Colt from Montana. Supposedly taken from a member of the Plummer gang. The guy I bought it from said his grandpa bought it from the Sheriff office. He then made a really nice set of Elk antler grips. The grips have grandpa’s name inside. I got it with an original time period holster with floral patter and brand style initials that would match a Plummer gang member. No other provenance.   

What Plummer gang member, do you know?

WACA Member
October 18, 2020 - 5:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

win4575 said
This is just a guess, but John probably had 75 to 100 Colt revolvers in his collection.  Many percutions, conversions and single actions.  He had over 20 single action that had been lettered as shipped to Montana.  He was a history collector.  Condition was secondary, to the documented history of the gun.   

The one he traded for in Denver was a very high condition one.  It might have had ivory grips? I have no idea if it had a Montana connection?  Got the RIA flyer last night. Has a picture of some of John’s guns.

Montana
WACA Member
October 19, 2020 - 12:17 am

He had several of Granville and Thomas Stuarts guns, as well as “Crow Killer” Liver Eating Johnson’s ’76, Marque de Mores ’76 and Heck Thomas’s Winchester.  He had many historic Winchesters, Colt’s and Sharp’s rifles, including the first 1874 model Sharps ever shipped to Montana.  The Heck Thomas ’76 sold at the September auction for $28,750.  The Liver Eating Johnson ’76 sold for $69,000.00.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected]
Guest(s) 160
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261