Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Proper cleaning and care of an original 1873?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 3, 2021 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thanks guys!!! Too bad I’m stuck in Arkansas at my in-laws lake house on Beaver Lake.  Well, it’s not so bad.

Chuck, what book is that and where do I get one?  I’ve read there’s a couple of more or less definitive Winchester lever action texts to be had.

Thanks again! It’s good to find a community so willing to help out us new guys?

Matt

Rock Chalk Jayhawk #44

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 3, 2021 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Matt, this was from one of the reproduction Winchester catalogs currently available from Cornell Publishing.  This info is in all of the early catalogs from the Henry era through the 1876.  I think the one I used was the 1875 which is in Volume I of the 12 Volume set.  Winchester did not manufacture any of these guns with the set screws all the way in/tight.  If that was the case there would be no way to adjust the tension and no reason to place these instructions in the catalogs.

I’ve seen these screws help on a few guns..  All of my lever guns with these screws have been adjusted to back off any unnecessary tension on the springs.  It is almost always better to not have unnecessary tension on any spring for a long period.

When you find a gun with all of these screws all the way in 2 things come to mind.  The tension was increased as the spring became weaker or my best guess is that gun owners did not understand the correct usage of these set screws and figured that they needed to be tight like most screws.  Since the screws are up against a spring the tension will keep them where they are set.

I would always try to adjust the tension before I start bending the spring.  If you do have to bend the spring back the screw off first so there will be some adjustment in the future.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 28 gauge, pdog72, Henry Mero, [email protected], Ben
Guest(s) 198
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250