Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Prices on Henrys & 1866s
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 272
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 6, 2024 - 4:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have some money to invest in hard assets and am not interested in precious metals. My interest is in 1866s and Henrys. I do not attend gun shows, and have not been selling, I just look at major auctions occasionally. The prices vary greatly. For those of you who get around more, how have 1866s and Henrys been doing. What do you think of the future.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 7, 2024 - 12:02 am

The price of nice Henry’s and 66’s is strong if in nice condition. If your interest is in 66’s go with an early carbine with the rifle butt plate, original with real patina. If you want a rifle stay with octagon barrel brass trim with a little real blue. Stay away form sanded wood. In both cases you want nice naturally aged brass. Both guns will cost north of 12k, how far north depends on your budget. These types of guns are easy to sell and hard to find. You can not afford to by a composite, non original gun in this price range. The same can be said for Henry’s except the price starts at 25k and the nice ones sell. When you get to 35k private sales are harder, most go to auction. A 66 is easier to sell on a private sale because they are cheaper.

Been there done that guns are cheaper but resale prices have remained low and steady with no real up side. T/R

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 272
January 7, 2024 - 5:40 am

Thanks for the information.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
January 7, 2024 - 6:13 pm

Very nice guns always hold their value better than an average condition gun.  I bought my Henry and 66 years ago when they were at the height of their value.  Not worth as much now but I’m not a seller.  As TR said, if you buy get the best you can afford in original unmolested condition.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
January 8, 2024 - 5:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

wolfbait said
I have some money to invest in hard assets and am not interested in precious metals. My interest is in 1866s and Henrys. I do not attend gun shows, and have not been selling, I just look at major auctions occasionally. The prices vary greatly. For those of you who get around more, how have 1866s and Henrys been doing. What do you think of the future.

40 years ago Tommy Rholes told me the greatest appreciation in Winchesters during his collecting years had been and in the future would be in case hardened and brass frame guns. What stands out in your post is” MY INTEREST IS IN” – in my humble opinion, that is where you should put your money. High condition brass frame guns seem to have gotten awful expensive – guns that are more affordable lack originality or condition. Merz just had a couple of Henry’s, each priced at over 100 grand. As with all collectible Winchesters, originality and condition will drive the price. When I sold off the Winchesters I had accumulated over a 50+ year period I did not make any determination on whether they had been a good investment. I am sure that for some of the guns I may have seen greater appreciation having the money in the market. But, I got to enjoy the guns for a long time and it is hard to put a price on the enjoyment they provided. This whole process of collecting Winchesters is an interesting and rewarding endeavor. For most of us, we will never completely quit the hobby and most will never have all they want. I kept one of each 19th century lever models when I quit collecting and still read posts here in the Forum several times a week. So, although no longer an active collector I am still an interested party and learn something almost every time I read the Forum. I am optomistic about the future of all collectible Winchesters and the 66/Henry may lead the pack in appreciation. Unfortunately, these brass frame guns have gotten too expensive for many collectors. Buy guns that have not been messed with and buy the best condition you can afford.

66cbn.JPGImage Enlarger66butt.JPGImage Enlarger66ring.JPGImage Enlarger66stk.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
January 8, 2024 - 5:55 pm

I can’t give you a value but this one is not what I’d buy.  Too rough and bad wood fitment.  Action was buffed at some point in the past. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 144
January 14, 2024 - 12:05 pm

wolfbait,

I sent you a private message.Smile

Antonio

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)