Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Opinions on an 1886 .45-70
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 11, 2018 - 9:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi, I’m a long time lurker and finally wanted to register and post. As I try to get my bearings on old winchesters, I’d appreciate any input on this piece:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784209124

My interest is an 1886 as a shooter, something that is in good serviceable condition, and not overly concerned about it being collector correct. Is this rifle a good example of an original 1886 in .45-70 that would be a good value as a shooter?

Thanks in advance.

BJ

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 11, 2018 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bobby,

I personally believe that the new owner paid just a tad too much for it considering the added cost of FFL fees and the shipping & insurance, but only just a few hundred too much. If it had been a bona fide “Antique”, the price was would have been dead on.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
September 11, 2018 - 11:47 pm

Thanks Bert. Does the “antique” status add significantly to the value, and is that just due to the elimination of the FFL in the process?

Are there any significant red flags on this rifle that would be key detractors of value?

Finally, for a shooter rifle, what features or condition would one be looking for that would still result in a good value, and wouldn’t be big killers of resale?

Thanks

BJ

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 12, 2018 - 3:05 am

BJ,

In answer to your first question, Yes, the “Antique” status does add to the value.  Approximately 75% of all Model 1886s made are “Antique”, which slightly mutes the added premium for that status.  There is a bigger premium for an “Antique” Model 1894 because relatively few of them were made (53,941).  For the Model 1886, there were (118,846) that qualify as Antique.

There are no “Red Flags” per se, but the alteration to the butt stock is a big detractor for most collectors.

In answer to your last question, the condition of the bore is critical to a shooter grade rifle retaining its value.

Bert

WACA Guest
September 14, 2018 - 11:48 pm

Bert, thanks for the detailed feedback, very helpful. 

As an expansion of this 1886 discussion, how do you determine authenticity/originality of a rifle like this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781496389

From the little I know it appears to have serial-number correct markings, the end of the barrel is in the white, etc, but it almost looks more like one of the miroku reproductions, or a completely reblued/refinished gun than an original. Are there any telltale signs that you experienced collectors cue in on immediately?

Thanks

BJ

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
September 15, 2018 - 12:52 am

BJ,

The first thing I see you can spot at a gun show 2 isles away. The case color, wood grain, wood color and blue is all wrong. When you look closer you see the metal finish of the blued parts is too rough giving it a dull appearance and the wood is new and does not fit the metal. The blue and case color has no age to it. The proof mark on the receiver has been buffed down were it should be sharp and stand above the metal some. I suspect the barrel to be a new reproduction. The way to learn how to spot these redone guns is to look closely at lots real guns so you know what they are suppose to look like. You can’t learn this from pictures, you have to go to gun shows or see collections in person.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Kingston, WA
Admin
September 15, 2018 - 3:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bobby,

I completely agree with my colleague Bob.  That is a 100% refinished rifle, and more than likely it is a replacement barrel.

Have you read this topic yet – https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/Tips+on+Buying+an+old+Winchester/

Bert

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5053
September 16, 2018 - 3:10 am

I think the magazine tube is a reproduction part as well.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
September 20, 2018 - 3:14 am

Thank you guys for the responses, glad that my initial instincts were verified. I’m new to lever guns, but experienced in milsurp collecting, and the same principles apply there. Bert, yes I had definitely read the buying guide you reference, and the more clear-cut items were easy to apply, but its hard to apply some of the more subtle condition-based guidelines when looking at pictures. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6384
TXGunNut: 5052
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303