Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
On the topic of Winchester 1886's with defects
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 16, 2021 - 4:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just shake my head.  This one will sell – it has bids.  In fact, the seller estimates it has a retail value of $2500 and the current bid is now $2700.  In my mind, the value of this rifle is measured in hundreds rather than thousands of dollars.  So much wrong and unsightly with this rifle.  I have to say the ad-writing is imaginative.  A broken tang is smoothed over by planting a nostalgic western scene of, “probably being in a saddle scabbard and a horse rolled on it.”  The unsightliness of that repaired upper tang makes me queasy.  What makes me even more queasy is this part of the description:  

The number on the bottom tang is almost illegible.  The tang does not look buffed or refinish, there are traces of finish on it.  So tang was either very lightly marked with number or it was factory replaced at time the stock was rolled on by a horse.

The lower tang might be, “factory replaced,” but regarding the top tang, maybe they sent a note with the rifle to the effect, “we know how to fix that ourselves”?  Oh, the lower tang number, “almost illegible…”  So, “almost” meaning what?  He doesn’t say what the serial number is – so really, how can it not be described as illegible?  I’m not holding it in my hand and don’t have the best photo to go by, but I can’t make out any numbers at all!  At least now I know what, “almost illegible” means.

If I were tasked with writing an, “honest” description of this rifle, I think, “Winchester M1886 – POS” would be all that is needed.  Am I being too harsh here?  What would other’s here value this rifle at?  

https://www.antiqueguns.com/shop/079-0121-4060-winchester-m-1886-octagon-barrel-rifle-in-45-70-blowout/

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
February 16, 2021 - 4:38 pm

Nice enough wall hanger, maybe even a shooter. Maybe there’s something we’re missing, Steve. Horse wreck story is plausible, happened often enough. Butt stock doesn’t appear to be original but that makes sense with the tang repair/replacement theory. Apparently somebody likes it better than we do. Hope he’s happy!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6362
February 16, 2021 - 5:29 pm

TXGunNut said
Nice enough wall hanger…

To hang on the outside of your hunting shack.  Or carry across the handlebars of your ATV as you tear through Alaska brush-country.  .45-70s always bring a premium, & rightly so, but the cond of this one is shocking.  And yet another of these BS artists who flourish in the gun dealing racket–if Congress bans on-line gun sales, which has made life easy for them, I’ll rejoice to see them put out of business.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
February 16, 2021 - 5:40 pm

All kidding aside some folks like the “rustic” look. Some even like rusted up relics. I don’t need any more shooters or wall hangers but I’ve already out on the price so it’s a moot point. Apparently someone is a fan of frontier gunsmithing.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 346
February 16, 2021 - 5:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

It’s ready to go on the “show us your beaters” thread.  If one looks at the price of the current reproduction 1886’s (either Italian or Miroku) this is approximately twice as much.   To me it’s priced too high to be a shooter or wall hangar.  Also probably too high to part out.  Apparently someone has different thoughts about it.

I call myself a collector as it sounds better than hoarder

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
February 16, 2021 - 6:32 pm

It’s always a pleasure to hear the opinions and perspectives of others.  Even though I saw no purpose for this rifle, I agree, as a wall-hanger – on the exterior wall of a very remote cabin or barn – it’s a great candidate.  Also, I have known of collectors who collect relics – which have never been of appeal to me.  As far as parting it out – what is there, other than some small parts.  The wood, receiver and the barrel all seem to have significant issues.  Still, I suppose lever, hammer, buttplate, loading gate, screws, etc. – all together, the ebay haul might be substantial.  

Is there any issue with the legality of the rifle?  To me, the serial number looks gone – but not through extensive use or wear.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 300
February 16, 2021 - 10:05 pm

I’ve looked at several of his descriptions and I have to say- That part of the country has a disproportionate amount of rolling horses as compared to the rest of the country.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6362
February 16, 2021 - 11:54 pm

rwsem said
I’ve looked at several of his descriptions and I have to say- That part of the country has a disproportionate amount of rolling horses as compared to the rest of the country.  

“The place for serious collectors”–what a laugh. 

Brooksy
WACA Guest
February 19, 2021 - 2:31 pm

I have seen far worse, but the story is better than most.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, win1894, cj57, Tom D, TR, wayne spears, Robert Jambrosic
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294
mrcvs: 1726