Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Newbe needs help on 1895 SRC I.D.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 1, 2017 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, just started collecting Winchester firearms and have so far added a 1893, 1887, 1892 and hopefully a 1895 SRC serial number 32301. My dilemma is, it has a crescent butt plate although with a trapdoor. I know Winchester would change butt stocks as an option but need to know if this is the case with this carbine. I called the Cody museum to purchase the letter for my serial number but it takes 4-5 weeks to receive the info. If I want an immediate check add another $140. I’m retired and that’s a bit rich for my blood. I have the rifle on hold for a week so I would like to know about the stock before I pull the trigger so to speak. Soooo, long story short I was wondering if anyone on the forum is a Cody member and would be willing to sell me one of his searches. I could send payment via paypal. I  would pay whatever you felt your time and use of one search is worth to you. know it’s a lot to ask, but felt it was worth a try. I can be reaches at [email protected] if can help me. Thank You.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 396
March 2, 2017 - 4:08 pm

Why not buy a membership at the museum and use one of the searches they give you with the membership?  

I’d help you out but I don’t have any searches to spare……

WACA Guest
March 2, 2017 - 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately I’m an entry level collector with very limited disposable $. I was willing to spin the wheel and pay the $77 for a letter in hopes it would verify the carbines stock as factory installed. But I don’t have the $150 for membership + another $77 for the letter if the stock is legitimate. It’s probably best I just walk away and wait for another carbine to surface in my price range that doesn’t have a ? mark associated with it.

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
March 2, 2017 - 9:41 pm

Hi Greg,

One can never say never where Winchester is concerned, but I have never come across an 1895 carbine with a factory installed crescent buttstock, nor any 1895 with a trapdoor in the crescent buttplate.  There are some carbines out there with shotgun buttstocks, but even those are pretty scarce.  I really think you’d be wasting your money on a letter for this gun since the odds are very slim that the crescent stock is original. 

If you just have to know if this an ultra rare configured carbine, the $150 Cody membership comes with 5 free serial number searches.  As soon as you become a member, you can call and get the factory info right over the phone.  If you were to add a WACA membership for another $45, you’d get another 15 free searches, four issues of The Winchester Collector magazine and access to every back issue, plus a WACA calendar.  The magazine alone, is worth far more than the $45/yr. 

WACA Guest
March 3, 2017 - 4:32 am

Thanks to the help from a member of the forum, the carbine stock is, as most everyone probably thought, most likely not original to the rifle. The folk at Cody provided the following info;

WINCHESTER MODEL 1895 – SERIAL NUMBER 32301 Serial number applied on August 06, 1901

Type: Carbine
Caliber: 30
Received in warehouse on August 09, 1901
Shipped from warehouse on August 13, 1901, Order number 105180

So I will continue my search for one that has that is in the original configuration it was borne with.

Thanks to all who provided feedback to my question.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
March 4, 2017 - 1:49 am

As Mark has already pointed out, a Cody membership is money well spent for any Winchester collector. In addition to supporting a really cool museum and the Winchester archives you get free museum admission and a nice enough magazine. If you have a couple of days to spend in Cody I can assure you you’ll never forget the time you spent wandering through the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. It’s not just the Cody Firearms Museum, it’s a museum complex. Spend a little time on their website.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323