Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New to site but with an old Winchester 1873
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 26, 2019 - 8:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi. Looking for a little knowledge here. I received a family heirloom that my uncle hung on my bedroom wall when I was twelve. I was told at the time it was a rifle that was given to my great grandfather (or maybe grandfather) for taking care of some rich guys estate on the Hudson river, who may have fought in the Indian wars. I’ve been dragging this rifle around with me for over 40 years now, and oddly never really noticed the markings on it until today when I was inventorying and recording my other rifles serial numbers. Turns out it is serial number 3326 which means it was made in 1875 I guess. I was told several years ago by a gun dealer that it had no value since I highly doubt it is in working order, but I don’t see any reason why it could not be restored. I guess it has “value” as an heirloom and I’ll pass it down to my nephew someday I suppose. I’ll post some pics once I figure out how and take some opinions: 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
January 26, 2019 - 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. The gun is a first model 73 so it will be worth something. How much depends on its condition. As a guest you will have to post the pictures to a photo host site and then post a link to them or you can send me the pictures and I will post them.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 26, 2019 - 11:36 pm

[email protected] said
Hi. Looking for a little knowledge here. I received a family heirloom that my uncle hung on my bedroom wall when I was twelve. I was told at the time it was a rifle that was given to my great grandfather (or maybe grandfather) for taking care of some rich guys estate on the Hudson river, who may have fought in the Indian wars. I’ve been dragging this rifle around with me for over 40 years now, and oddly never really noticed the markings on it until today when I was inventorying and recording my other rifles serial numbers. Turns out it is serial number 3326 which means it was made in 1875 I guess. I was told several years ago by a gun dealer that it had no value since I highly doubt it is in working order, but I don’t see any reason why it could not be restored. I guess it has “value” as an heirloom and I’ll pass it down to my nephew someday I suppose. I’ll post some pics once I figure out how and take some opinions:   

DO NOT RESTORE this gun and don’t ever talk to that dealer again.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 27, 2019 - 12:08 am

Chuck said

This^^^^^

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1710
January 27, 2019 - 12:29 am

Chuck said

Chuck could not of said it better!   If it has any Indian markings on it they will most likely be on the wood or elevator. Early first model 1873’s were at the Little Big Horn. T/R

Doug Kennedy
WACA Guest
January 27, 2019 - 9:29 pm

In the town that I live in,a guy has a 1 of 100 73.  I guess their we’re only 8 of them made. One of the 1 in 8 73s sold for,800,000 last December. This one looks to be in better shape than the one that just sold .If I owned a gun like that I don’t know what I would do with it .

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
January 28, 2019 - 5:30 pm

1873man said
Welcome to the forum. The gun is a first model 73 so it will be worth something. How much depends on its condition. As a guest you will have to post the pictures to a photo host site and then post a link to them or you can send me the pictures and I will post them.

Bob  

[email protected] said
 I’ll post some pics once I figure out how and take some opinions:   

Please take Bob up on his offer.  I’ve been sitting on the edge of my seat every since you posted . . .ConfusedWink

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 28, 2019 - 6:06 pm

Huck Riley said

[email protected] said
 I’ll post some pics once I figure out how and take some opinions:   

Please take Bob up on his offer.  I’ve been sitting on the edge of my seat every since you posted . . .ConfusedWink  

Scott please send pictures to Bob.  His email is on his post.  You could be surprised.

WACA Member
January 28, 2019 - 8:10 pm

Doug, Do you know the serial number of the 1 of 100? T/R

Doug Kennedy
WACA Guest
January 30, 2019 - 3:43 pm

TR,no I don’t know what the serial number is. 

WACA Member
January 30, 2019 - 9:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Doug, As you know Winchester only made eight 1 of 100 73’s, Jim Gordon’s survey turned up six and Edmund Lewis’s book one. That leaves one unaccounted for (s/n 25702), that’s why I asked serial number. Serial number 25702 is a round barrel, case frame,non checkered stock, could that be the gun? T/R

Doug Kennedy
WACA Guest
January 31, 2019 - 2:42 pm

TR said
 Doug, As you know Winchester only made eight 1 of 100 73’s, Jim Gordon’s survey turned up six and Edmund Lewis’s book one. That leaves one unaccounted for (s/n 25702), that’s why I asked serial number. Serial number 25702 is a round barrel, case frame,non checkered stock, could that be the gun? T/R  

TR,give me a call @ 618-357-0974. I can maybe provide more answers. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291