Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New Member looking for 1866 valuation advice
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 3, 2021 - 6:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m looking for some advice on how best to sell a Winchester 1866 for a family member. I’m located in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and would like recommendations on where locally to take the gun for valuation/sale. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I noted it doesn’t have an octagon-shaped barrel (I’m still researching this to see if the round barrel was an option). The serial number is 132009 which I believe places it in 1877 for the manufacture year.

Thank you in advance for your forum member advice!

Best,

Richard

Barrel StampImage Enlarger

Side View AImage EnlargerSide View BImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
December 5, 2021 - 6:36 am

Hello Richard,

The round barrel was the more common type found on the Model 1866 when you consider that there were more Carbines & Muskets made than Sporting Rifles.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
December 5, 2021 - 7:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I believe that the standard barrel for a rifle was a 24″ octagon.  I do know for a fact that the last models with the steel butt plates could be had with a round barrel.  I don’t see, in my limited reference material on the 66, that the round barrel was an option.  It was standard on the shorter 20″ barreled carbines and the muskets.  Jim Gordon does not show an example of an early 66 with a round barrel.  He does show one in the 155,000 range.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
December 5, 2021 - 8:31 pm

Richard,

If you email the picture to me at the below address I can post them.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
December 5, 2021 - 10:56 pm

Thanks for the info Bert & Chuck! And thanks Bob for offering to post my pictures. I don’t know what happened to the one’s I tried linking to my post. 

As to the question of the round or octagon barrel, based on the butt plate being the same yellow metal as the frame, would that indicate the barrel may be a replacement then if it isn’t a steel butt plate? Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding. Just trying to get an idea of the condition of the rifle.

Ideally, I’d love to be able to have someone look at the rifle in-person to evaluate its condition and value.

-Richard

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 5, 2021 - 11:32 pm

Richard,

Here are your some of your pictures. I picked the ones that showed the important areas.

Bob

IMG_4376-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4375-2.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4364-2.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4365-2.jpegImage Enlarger

IMG_4366-2.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4373-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4367-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4362-1.jpegImage Enlarger

IMG_4434-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4433-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4432-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4392-1.jpegImage Enlarger

IMG_4388-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4387-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4371-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4370-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_4368-1.jpegImage Enlarger

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
December 6, 2021 - 1:47 am

My impression is that the butt stock is not original to that rifle.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 6, 2021 - 2:59 am

I would remove the butt stock and butt plate and check for any numbers inside.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
December 6, 2021 - 6:00 pm

Richard Taylor_1 said
Thanks for the info Bert & Chuck! And thanks Bob for offering to post my pictures. I don’t know what happened to the one’s I tried linking to my post. 

As to the question of the round or octagon barrel, based on the butt plate being the same yellow metal as the frame, would that indicate the barrel may be a replacement then if it isn’t a steel butt plate? Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding. Just trying to get an idea of the condition of the rifle.

Ideally, I’d love to be able to have someone look at the rifle in-person to evaluate its condition and value.

-Richard  

The fact that the buttplate is not steel does not necessarily mean there is a problem.  I don’t know when the butt plates were transitioned (about what serial number range).  As we all know parts were used until they were gone.

WACA Guest
December 6, 2021 - 8:20 pm

Interesting. I don’t think I feel comfortable disassembling the butt stock or plate so I’ll have to leave the identification of originality to an expert. I was wondering if maybe it is a “transition” gun with the mixing of parts. From the pictures does anyone have a rough guestimate of value?

Thanks,

Richard

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
December 6, 2021 - 11:53 pm

Richard, Your gun does fall in a transition period for the steel butt plate and steel forearm. In the Pirkle book on page 34 he states after 134,500 the forend cap was predominately steel. When it comes to the butt plate on page 11 he states starting at 110,000 was available but not predominate until 125,000. Your gun is close enough to both serial numbers to be possible.

My concern is the fit of your wood. You have to pull the stock and butt plate and check the serial numbers to be sure it’s correct. It looks like it’s been apart before so with the right screw driver and a little caution you will know if it’s worth $5,000 or $7,000. T/R

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 7, 2021 - 12:59 am

Richard,

Based solely on the condition of the gun. The gun has several issues. Its a round barrel which is the least desirable of the rifles. The wood has been sanded down below the metal. The brass has been polished at some point which greatly hurts the guns value. The sights are broken and the condition of the steel barrel and tube. I would value it at $5000.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
December 13, 2021 - 4:38 pm

I apologize for the late response. Thanks for all the expert advice, everyone.

Best,

Richard

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
December 15, 2021 - 3:14 am

Richard-

I’m nobody’s 1866 expert but the photos my lethargic data connection graciously allowed me to view showed an honest rifle that was well-used and maintained according to the best practices of the time. Sanding and re-oiling the wood and polishing the brass (OK, gunmetal ) were simply good maintenance when this gun was in use. I like the gun, any provenance you or your family member may have will appeal to certain segments of your target market. It will never be a high-condition gun, hasn’t been one for perhaps a century. That doesn’t keep it from being an honest reminder of what the average well-used 1866 really looked like. 

Nice gun, thanks for sharing it with us. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected], freebird1968
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322