Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Milford,MA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 5, 2019 - 10:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am looking to acquire a model 1910 more as a shooter than as a collector. I have read that they have a reputation for heavy recoil and can be “unpleasant” to fire off a bench rest. Can anyone with first hand experience comment? I don’t really want to buy something that I will not want to shoot. The rifle I am interested in does not appear to have had much use and is reasonably priced.

Charlie

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
September 5, 2019 - 11:25 pm

A few shots off a bench to check your zero might be a bit uncomfortable but it’s a far cry from zeroing a belted magnum. I believe you will enjoy shooting it from a standing/leaning position. They have kind of a unique report, similar to a large bore handgun. Mine is not one of my regular shooters but I do enjoy busting a few bricks with it now and then. I’ve got it slated to fill a doe tag this fall. The ammo is cost prohibitive, the .406 jacketed slugs run a dollar apiece and the brass is pretty spendy also. If you buy modern loaded ammo it’s going to run you about $3.00 a pop. I’ve thought about using some cast slugs for plinking as a more economical substitute but have not gotten around to it yet. Just my take on it……..

Erin

Milford,MA
WACA Member
September 6, 2019 - 12:09 am

Erin, thanks for your reply. I feel better about getting the rifle now. I know the ammo is very expensive but if I do do want to shoot more I’ll handload.

Charlie

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
September 7, 2019 - 2:05 pm

Here you go Charlie.  It is a pretty nice rifle compared to a lot I have seen.  But you will have to act quickly!  https://www.proxibid.com/Estate-Personal-Property/Personal-Property/Winchester-Model-1910SL-Self-Loading-401cal-Rifle/lotInformation/49914960

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Milford,MA
WACA Member
September 7, 2019 - 5:52 pm

Michael, thanks for the link. That rifle looks pretty good from the pictures but no written description and no magazine makes me wonder. I have a line on another piece for more $ but it is complete with no damage and just minor finish wear. I have until tomorrow to decide.

Charlie

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
September 7, 2019 - 7:35 pm

morsece said
I am looking to acquire a model 1910 more as a shooter than as a collector. I have read that they have a reputation for heavy recoil and can be “unpleasant” to fire off a bench rest. Can anyone with first hand experience comment? I don’t really want to buy something that I will not want to shoot. The rifle I am interested in does not appear to have had much use and is reasonably priced.

Charlie  

It’s been quite a few years since I’ve shot a .401.  I recall it wasn’t remarkable as far as recoil.  Remember, these are fairly heavy rifles, which helps. 

S.W. USA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 86
October 5, 2019 - 3:51 pm

Charlie,

when you get your rifle please send me the particulars so I can add it to the 1910 Winchester data base.  With regards to your question, I thought the recoil was very manageable with the 401.  My Remington Model 81 in 300 Savage was much worse.  Sold it.

john

WACA No. 9886.  Constantly learning about Model 1907 and Model 1910 Self-Loading Rifles.

Milford,MA
WACA Member
October 6, 2019 - 12:17 am

John,

I am still looking for a Model 1910. I have passed on a couple for various reasons. If and when I finally get one I will give you the info. I did manage to get a nice 1957 Model 07. It wasn’t cheap but I am happy with it. I am waiting for ammo so I haven’t fired it yet and I still have to check the buffer. Funny you mention the Remington. Way back in the late sixties I tried a friend’s 81 in .35rem and remember the recoil as being “unpleasant”.

Charlie

S.W. USA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 86
October 7, 2019 - 1:26 am

The 1907 is a great rifle.  I have four of them. 

WACA No. 9886.  Constantly learning about Model 1907 and Model 1910 Self-Loading Rifles.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: JWA, tsbccut, SureShot
Guest(s) 109
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261