Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1894 Take-Down Short Rifle in 32-40 with 20" barrel built in 1907 - Very Good+ condition ****Value??****
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 6, 2018 - 12:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

If a rifle was returned to Winchester to have the barrel shortened the new dovetail sight cut does not have blue in it. I once had such a rifle that lettered and it was clear that Winchester had cut down an inventory rifle to make the special order short rifle. It does not make sense that Winchester would remove and replace the barrel and tube to simple get blue into the dovetail which is completely hidden by the front sight anyway.  I think the OP’s rifle is perhaps one of these. Very few barrels cut outside the factory have the factory dimensions and rotary mill cut dovetail. Just my opinion based on observation.

Salmon, Idaho (Keith Country)
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 73
July 6, 2018 - 1:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

CJS57 said
If a rifle was returned to Winchester to have the barrel shortened the new dovetail sight cut does not have blue in it. I once had such a rifle that lettered and it was clear that Winchester had cut down an inventory rifle to make the special order short rifle. It does not make sense that Winchester would remove and replace the barrel and tube to simple get blue into the dovetail which is completely hidden by the front sight anyway.  I think the OP’s rifle is perhaps one of these. Very few barrels cut outside the factory have the factory dimensions and rotary mill cut dovetail. Just my opinion based on observation.  

I was wondering the same thing since the workmanship and factory dimensions are spot on.

To your point, why would the factory or any other gunsmith take the time to blue the dovetail notch when cutting down a barrel?

I suppose it’s possible that Winchester did the work and the record for this rifle was not updated.

I have been told that anything is possible with Winchester.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Tom Graham - Salmon, Idaho

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 508
July 6, 2018 - 2:51 pm

The gun is what it is. What are they asking for it?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
July 6, 2018 - 2:58 pm

Thanks Twobit. I did indeed mean receiver. Too early to be posting. 

WACA Guest
July 6, 2018 - 4:08 pm

Tedk said
The gun is what it is. What are they asking for it?  

Seller has not set a price yet that’s why I’m asking you guys for your opinion. Of course everybody wants to get stuff like this for dirt cheap but let’s be realistic here with our guesstimates.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
July 6, 2018 - 4:54 pm

CJS57 said

I disagree.  On the half-dozen or so Model 1885 Rifles I have observed with factory shortened barrels, the barrels were refinished and marked accordingly.  The bottom of the barrels (under the forend stock) were marked “J.P.P. REFINISH” and the work order number stamped on the barrel.  Additionally, the CFM letters all had an “R&R” entry with the same work order number listed.  I was under the impression that the rifle in question does not have an “R&R” entry. In regards to Winchester factory rework, I find it difficult to believe that the barrel on this rifle would not have been marked with at least a work order number.

There are simply too many abnormalities with this rifle to believe that it is original, or even factory reworked.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 183
July 6, 2018 - 6:08 pm

I have a simple credo for such examples… No (or incorrect) letter, long forend, 5-inch rear sight cut, no buy. Of course if you only want the “heft” of a short rifle as a shooter/hunter and can pay reasonable price, go for it.

Cheers,

B  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
July 6, 2018 - 6:14 pm

THREEDFLYER said

CJS57 said

I was wondering the same thing since the workmanship and factory dimensions are spot on.

To your point, why would the factory or any other gunsmith take the time to blue the dovetail notch when cutting down a barrel?

I suppose it’s possible that Winchester did the work and the record for this rifle was not updated.

I have been told that anything is possible with Winchester.

I appreciate your thoughts. 

THREEDFLYER,

I, too, believe that anything is possible with Winchester, and should there ever be a motto about this sort of issue among Winchester people, it should be “Never Say Never.”

Good luck with getting a good handle on the rifle’s current market value!

James

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
July 6, 2018 - 6:46 pm

I would think if it was a short rifle the forearm would be 1 inch shorter than standard, it looks full length. T/R

BOBR94 said
I have a simple credo for such examples… No (or incorrect) letter, long forend, 5-inch rear sight cut, no buy. Of course if you only want the “heft” of a short rifle as a shooter/hunter and can pay reasonable price, go for it.

Cheers,

B    

I agree with BOBR94.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 802
July 6, 2018 - 7:18 pm

Here’s a 1894 T.D. that letters and does have the longer forearm.  The sights are also mentioned in the letter, serial #307292.  It shows wear from taking it down.  Hope this helps, but probably just adds to the confusion.     RDB                                

Short-rifle.pngImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
July 6, 2018 - 7:48 pm

Not all 20-inch barreled Short rifles have the 8-3/8″ forend stock.  There were at least 10% of them that have the longer 9-3/8″ stock.

The issue with this rifle, is that it letters with a full length barrel, and it does not have an R&R entry.

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
July 7, 2018 - 12:02 pm

Well the 1885’s examples from Bert were marked “refinish” so clearly refinished dovetails would have blue in them. Not clear if the barrels were New replacements of cut downs? Or were the guns sent back for complete refinish as well as barrel shortening which would also result in blued dovetails. Were 1885’s treated differently in the earlier letter era vs 94’s in the 1920’s? I don’t have the 1894 long forearm short rifle that convinced me, but it did letter as short heavy barrel and it had clearly been cut down from an inventory rifle with beautifully dressed white metal showing at every new cut in dovetail, rotary dovetail, mag tube end etc. Since I saw one, I figure there are more.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
July 7, 2018 - 1:12 pm

Seems a rifle like this is a lot easier to buy than to sell.  Then again, it all depends on the price.  I’ll be eager to hear what that price is.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
July 7, 2018 - 3:52 pm

You seem to have talked yourself into bringing it home, Tom.  I hope the price makes that possible for you.  Since you are used to non-Safe Queens, this one would be a great one to carry and to shoot.

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 7, 2018 - 5:03 pm

CJS57 said
Well the 1885’s examples from Bert were marked “refinish” so clearly refinished dovetails would have blue in them. Not clear if the barrels were New replacements of cut downs? Or were the guns sent back for complete refinish as well as barrel shortening which would also result in blued dovetails. Were 1885’s treated differently in the earlier letter era vs 94’s in the 1920’s? I don’t have the 1894 long forearm short rifle that convinced me, but it did letter as short heavy barrel and it had clearly been cut down from an inventory rifle with beautifully dressed white metal showing at every new cut in dovetail, rotary dovetail, mag tube end etc. Since I saw one, I figure there are more.  

The Model 1885 rifles I refer to were clearly sent back to Winchester to have the barrel shortened only (sadly, one of them was a 36-inch No. 5 barrel, that was cut back to 30-inch).  Winchester (James. P. Parker) cut it back, and cut the new sight dovetail, then had it refinished before reassembling it and shipping it back to the customer. 

From what I have found in my research, it was standard practice to send any reworked barrel back to the customer in the same condition it would have been in as when it was factory new.  While almost anything was possible, I do not believe it was standard (or acceptable) practice for Winchester employees to cut down a barrel, and then leave the new sight dovetail slot and magazine ring rotary milled cuts in the raw.

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 78
July 7, 2018 - 7:53 pm

All the people that have posted have looked at many more winchesters than I have.  

One thing that stuck me was the dove tail was cut with a fairly narrow cutter and cut in 3 passes. The next time I have to remove a sight I will look to see if it is cut with one pass. 

I would suspect that the factory would cut the dove tail with one pass and clean it up with a file when needed.

Curious if others have evidence one way or the other.

Dominic

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
July 7, 2018 - 8:51 pm

I don’t have a good feeling about this rifle being original, therefore I would purchase as an unverifiable specimen. Its still a great configuration and caliber and will make great shooter. Use the fact that it does not letter to your advantage when negotiating. If the gun lettered as 20″, it may run up to the $3k range. As such, I would haggle around 1500 or less. Just my two cents….

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
July 8, 2018 - 12:05 am

steve004 said
Seems a rifle like this is a lot easier to buy than to sell.  Then again, it all depends on the price.  I’ll be eager to hear what that price is.  

Couldn’t agree more, lots of wisdom in that first sentence. I really like the rifle and feel the workmanship is very good but this gun will be very hard to sell to most serious collectors. If you want it for a shooter and can get it for a shooter price and don’t plan on selling it anytime soon then by all means pay the man and take it home.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
July 8, 2018 - 1:44 am

I really think people are forgetting that a huge number of folks that buy these guns on the net and elsewhere don’t know or care if the guns are original or not. It’s a good looking rifle in a good caliber and configuration. It would easily sell and the buyer would be happy. If it was a reworked, sloppy piece of junk, then that would be different. I have a feeling that the OP is smart enough not to pay to much for it. Peter

WACA Guest
July 8, 2018 - 3:53 am

First off thanks to you folks for the observations and comments regarding this short rifle. 

Although my knowledge is primarily of Smith and Wesson Hand Ejectors I am always learning something new.

I have no way of verifying the configuration of the short rifle and since the barrel length is not noted in the records it’s likely that the rifle left the factory with a 26″ barrel.  However as many of you stated, anything is possible with Winchester, it was all about getting guns sold and sometimes the record keepers did not do their due diligence.  

All that said, I will pursue the rifle and inform the seller of the information I have learned from my post on this forum.  If after that the seller states what I feel is a reasonable price I will take it home and enjoy it. 

With my S&W collecting I tend to go for original condition unaltered revolvers, but I do own several of what I refer to as “FrankenSmiths” and they are just as interesting to me as the unaltered guns.  Of course these guns were purchased below the cost of unaltered guns.

Thanks again for the thoughts,

Keep your powder dry!!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, twobit, Manuel, Tony. R, Bill Hanzel, Randycrockett, Zebulon
Guest(s) 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294
mrcvs: 1726