Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1892 Receiver machine marks
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 16, 2019 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Does anyone here know at what time frame the model 1892 had this type of machine marks on the receivers?

Thanks 

MWK

100779596_13414_C03A96B5DBFCAF8F.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
February 16, 2019 - 2:47 pm

Hello MWK,

I assume that you are referring to the parallel striations which show a loss of bluing.  This is fairly common on these rifles as the bluing becomes thin and worn off.  The multiple striations are a function of the forging process during the manufacture of the steel.  This is not restricted to any specific time period but rather related to the existing quality of the bluing finish.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
February 16, 2019 - 3:09 pm

Thanks Twobit.

I was looking at 1892 Oct barrel in 32wcf and the bluing overall was present and looked remarkably good but you could definitely see the parallel lines. As a condition factor does this hurt the value? I would rate the rifle 70 to 75%.

Thanks
MWK

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
February 16, 2019 - 4:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

MWK,

Since there is a small loss of original bluing in the striations it then results in a lightly lower overall % condition rating for the rifle.  It is not the striations themselves but the inherent loss of bluing.  So yes the overall potential value of the rifle would be a bit lower than an example where there are no striations visible.  That image looks like it is from Leroy Merz’s website.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
February 16, 2019 - 4:46 pm

MWK said
Thanks Twobit.

I was looking at 1892 Oct barrel in 32wcf and the bluing overall was present and looked remarkably good but you could definitely see the parallel lines. As a condition factor does this hurt the value? I would rate the rifle 70 to 75%.

Thanks
MWK  

To me, those lines show honesty and character and would not detract any further from the overall graded condition of the gun.  I like the lines.

Don

WACA Guest
February 16, 2019 - 5:48 pm

twobit said
MWK,

Since there is a small loss of original bluing in the striations it then results in a lightly lower overall % condition rating for the rifle.  It is not the striations themselves but the inherent loss of bluing.  So yes the overall potential value of the rifle would be a but loser than an example where there is no striations visible.  That image looks like it is from Leroy Merz’s website.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Michael  

The actual rifle I was looking at is not the one in the photo I used it for reference to show the lines  The rifle I looked at is in a little better shape than that of the photo and Unfortunately i was not able to get any photos of it.  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
February 16, 2019 - 7:00 pm

I’m fairly sure that one of my 1890’s shows wavy lines on one side and the bluing is outstanding, but I’d have to check it out to be certain.  It jhas to be held at a certain angle in order to see them as I recall.

James

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
February 16, 2019 - 7:01 pm

My 2-cents on this topic…

I would much rather see (and buy) an old Winchester with the visible forging striations than one without them.  In my experience, the forging striations are found on the pre-WW I (older receiver frames).  After WW I, it is rare to find a Model 1894 with visible striations.

The striations were created by the forging process, and visually show you where the steel density (hardness) differs.  The old style bluing was affected by the density (hardness) of the steel, and it wore faster along those striation lines.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
February 16, 2019 - 7:13 pm

I learn something new on this site all the time.  I have those lines on all my 86s and I thought they were machining marks.  Thanks.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
February 16, 2019 - 8:08 pm

Huck Riley said
I learn something new on this site all the time.  I have those lines on all my 86s and I thought they were machining marks.  Thanks.  

Machining marks would be perfectly straight across the length of the receiver… the striations very rarely ever run perfectly straight.

I should have noted in my previous reply, that they lack of visible striations on the pre-WW I receiver frames is more often than not indicative of refinish work.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
February 16, 2019 - 8:53 pm

Bert, its bound to be rare to see striation marks on original finished, post 1900 1890’s.

James

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
February 16, 2019 - 9:55 pm

deerhunter said

To me, those lines show honesty and character and would not detract any further from the overall graded condition of the gun.  I like the lines.

Don  

Not that I like the lines but it does indicate an honest gun.

Bismarck, ND
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
February 17, 2019 - 12:55 am

I’m new to this, but learning more all the time.  The 1892 rifle I purchased last month, made in 1903 according to the serial number, has these marks on both sides of the receiver.  I thought they were scratches from a case or scabbard.  It’s nice to know what they really are!  It’s a 38 WCF, and I’m delighted to have been able to add it to my small collection.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
February 17, 2019 - 11:26 pm

These visible striations are not limited to Winchesters.  For example, I’ve had them on some of my Bullard lever rifles.  They probably weren’t visible when these rifles were new.  Or a lot less visible anyway.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, mrcvs, 426crown, cjs57, tionesta1, antler1, Antonio
Guest(s) 57
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261