Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1873 Forearm Cap Sling Swivel HELP NEEDED
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Fort Worth, TX
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 12, 2022 - 12:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’d trade my girlfriend for a correct forend cap sling swivel to complete this rifle. It’s a Model 1873 in 44 WCF with a 24” octagonal barrel. The gun is correct to the Cody letter, is fully functional and in original condition (so far as I can tell) and also features a 7-leaf sight and set trigger. Actually groups great as well! The missing link is the front sling swivel… PLEASE, my brothers, let me know if you can help!

Thank you in advance for any leads and/or solutions!

Regards,

Robert Dean 406-459-9948

80AF55F0-8203-45B6-A3FB-0AE12C56C54F.jpegImage Enlarger6552A18D-53EC-420E-9CED-4235852F58AE.jpegImage Enlarger

Robert Dean
406-459-9948
[email protected]
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
June 12, 2022 - 12:40 am

Robert,

I keep wanting to respond to your post but you keep creating new ones and deleting the old ones. You can edit you existing posts, you don’t need to make new ones.

You probably will never find one without taking it from another gun. my suggestion is to make the swivel base and buy the sling loop from Homestead.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Fort Worth, TX
WACA Guest
June 12, 2022 - 1:15 am

1873man said
Robert,

I keep wanting to respond to your post but you keep creating new ones and deleting the old ones. You can edit you existing posts, you don’t need to make new ones.

You probably will never find one without taking it from another gun. my suggestion is to make the swivel base and buy the sling loop from Homestead.

Bob

Apologies Bob,

I’d initially posted it in “General Discussions” but then realized I might get more traffic in the “Win Rifles” section so deleted and moved it. And THEN had trouble uploading the pictures. You have a pretty quick draw considering I did all of that quite expeditiously and didn’t think anyone would notice! 

Nonetheless, thank you very much for the response! I’ve heard the idea of making a swivel base before… but am all about finding original parts and have regarded creating one as the last ditch effort. I’ve been hunting for this part for quite some time now and have spoken with many Winchester gurus on it. Usually the conversations end with a chuckle and “good luck”. 

So, now that I’ve exhausted the internet and trade shows plenty and am at the point of “whatever it takes”, may I ask if you have anyone in particular you could refer me to? There are smiths around here I respect plenty, but am trigger shy on giving them this project… as minute as it may be. 

Appreciate your help! Regards,

Robert Dean

Robert Dean
406-459-9948
[email protected]
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 12, 2022 - 2:00 am

R. Dean said I’ve heard the idea of making a swivel base before… but am all about finding original parts and have regarded creating one as the last ditch effort. 

That’s where you are now–the last ditch.  So take Bob’s advice.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
June 12, 2022 - 2:28 am

Robert,

I have 431861 and if you check yours, I would bet $100 they sat next to each other in the rack at the factory and possible have the same order number of 2477. Mine letter with the Beach and 7 leaf as well.

What I can do is measure up the front swivel and take photos and then it up to you to find a machinist to make one. It does not have to be a gunsmith, any machinist can do the work. Just take your cap off so you can get a few more measurements since the swivel is peened in and can’t be removed without damage.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Fort Worth, TX
WACA Guest
June 12, 2022 - 2:33 am

clarence said

R. Dean said I’ve heard the idea of making a swivel base before… but am all about finding original parts and have regarded creating one as the last ditch effort. 

That’s where you are now–the last ditch.  So take Bob’s advice.

The use of “last ditch” may have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I’m in no hurry to get rid of this rifle and might not get rid of it at all. She’s a rather unique one and I simply want to replace a missing component. That was the point of this post…

So if anyone out there has original parts that can make this rifle whole again, by all means name your price.

Thanks folks!

Robert Dean
406-459-9948
[email protected]
Fort Worth, TX
WACA Guest
June 12, 2022 - 2:43 am

1873man said
Robert,

I have 431861 and if you check yours, I would bet $100 they sat next to each other in the rack at the factory and possible have the same order number of 2477. Mine letter with the Beach and 7 leaf as well.

What I can do is measure up the front swivel and take photos and then it up to you to find a machinist to make one. It does not have to be a gunsmith, any machinist can do the work. Just take your cap off so you can get a few more measurements since the swivel is peened in and can’t be removed without damage.

Bob

Wow Bob! Yessir, we are one digit off and if they were racked in subsequent order mine would have been sitting just to your’s left. That’s amazing. 

Do appreciate all your knowledge and help. If you were in my shoes as a collector, is this how you would go about it? 

P.S. I want to buy 431861 !!!

Robert Dean
406-459-9948
[email protected]
Wisconsin
WACA Member
June 12, 2022 - 3:51 am

Robert,

You have found its very rare to find a complete forearm with swivel for a 44 octagon barrel. You can find them missing the swivel. You might find one in another cap that does not fit like from a 32, 38 or round barrel or even another model and if you can remove it without damaging it you won. If it were mine I would make one. I would have a complete gun in my life time and you can always keep an eye out for a real one. I had a similar situation happen to me with a nickel plated brass swiss butt plate in a Ballard style for a 73. Someone cut the ears off the butt plate so I had them built up and plated. Years later I saw a original at the Tulsa gun show.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 12, 2022 - 4:24 am

1873man said Someone cut the ears off the butt plate so I had them built up and plated.

Bob,  you’ve heard of tits on a boar hog?  Those prongs are in the same category.  No wonder someone took a hack-saw to them.  I’ve been tempted to do the same.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
June 12, 2022 - 4:37 am

Clarence,

I can see why someone would cut them off if they tried to shoulder the gun like a normal rifle and back in the day the gun was used. It was probably the second owner that did it since the guy that ordered the gun wanted it that way.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., clarence, rogertherelic, TXGunNut, Jeremy P, Arrowhead1976
Guest(s) 162
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6363
TXGunNut: 5032
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294
mrcvs: 1726