Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1866 Dust Cover
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1588
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 23, 2019 - 5:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To the Gentleman that messaged me a while back,

I found some information on a model 1866 dust cover, but It wasn’t exactly what I had remembered. 

In the Winter 1989 Collector on pages 4 & 5 (6&7 if using the forum viewer) is an article written by George Madis. It is titled 1866 Winchester – Bayes Patent, and is nice short read with some pics. I’m guessing this is where in my subconscious I read something in one of George’s books on the 66 dust cover. Which I may still find something in a book somewhere, still on the look out.

I also found in my files a color photo of the top of the receiver. Which I think someone had sent from an old auction or something. I don’t remember where I got it to be honest.

Mdl66-DustCoverBayesPatent.jpgImage Enlarger

So here you go. If I find something else, I’ll let you know.

Sincerely,

Maverick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 15
September 3, 2019 - 2:29 am

That’s for me thanks, Maverick, I had no idea what the Bayes patent looked like. I have sent you a message about getting some pictures of my 1866 which had a dust cover at one time posted as I cannot figure out how to do it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
September 3, 2019 - 8:01 pm

There are several Bayes 1866’s.  He did a lot of experimenting trying to modify the Henry for better loading and improving the magazine tube.

WACA Member
September 4, 2019 - 2:18 am

IMG_0848-1.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0849-1.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_0850-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Here are pictures that Harry sent me to upload to this forum topic. Its an interesting looking piece. I’ve asked him for a picture of the whole receiver.

What y’all think?

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Guest
September 5, 2019 - 3:01 pm

Just my opinion but I believe the milling on the top forward part of the receiver is there because when the hole is drilled in the brass dust cover this cut gives a bit more area strength when the screw for the dust cover stop is installed.

WACA Member
September 6, 2019 - 4:20 am

IMG_0855.JPGImage EnlargerHere is that last picture of the whole top of the receiver.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
September 6, 2019 - 4:22 am

I would imagine if this was original factory work, that the dust cover would be similar in appearance to 1st Model 73 dust covers.

Its a shame its missing the dust cover.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
September 6, 2019 - 4:31 am

I can see that the original extractor was replaced by the extractor with the raised square edge to open the dust cover just like the 73.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
November 28, 2019 - 12:41 am

1873man said
I can see that the original extractor was replaced by the extractor with the raised square edge to open the dust cover just like the 73.

Bob  

I believe this carbine left the factory with the present extractor and was never replaced. This piece sat in a museum for the last 60 years except for the 2 I’ve had it. The museum was 15 miles from the site of the frog lake massacre and quite a few lndian reserves. No body in that era or area would have the skill to incise mortise guides in the receiver similar to first model 1873’s. I believe all this work was done in the factory.         

Harry

WACA Member
November 29, 2019 - 2:17 am

Harry,

I’m inclined to agree with you that is it possibly factory work. But will add that there were plenty of guys faking guns in the 1950s.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
November 29, 2019 - 6:34 pm

Does anybody know who Bayes worked for or where he worked?  He was quite capable of making such things.

WACA Member
December 2, 2019 - 6:16 pm

Chuck,

Apparently Mr. Stephen G. Bayes worked for Winchester as an inventor and lived in the town of Wausen in Fulton County in the state of Ohio. At least that is what is noted on patent #242,809 for what would become the Model 62 Gun Sight.

I couldn’t find the patent number for the February 9th, 1869 dust cover that is shown on the image I posted. If anyone knows the patent number, I’ll look it up. Note the inscription of the dust cover is marked “S. G. Bayes. Wausen. O. Pat. Feb 9th, 1869.”

Here is the June 14, 1881 patent for the gun sight where Bayes is noted as Inventor and the patent is assigned to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company of New Haven, Connecticut.

1.jpgImage Enlarger2.jpgImage Enlarger3.jpgImage Enlarger

Sincerely, 

Maverick

WACA Member
December 2, 2019 - 7:07 pm

Thanks Maverick.  I will ask a friend and see if he knows or has any of the Bayes guns left in his collection.  He has been collecting brass guns since the 1960’s.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
December 11, 2019 - 5:29 pm

Maverick,  did you ever get the patent number for the S. G. Bayes dust cover?

Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
December 11, 2019 - 5:38 pm

Maverick,  the patent number is 86,723.  Also, I strongly suspect that at the time this patent was filed, Bayes was an independent person.  He sued Winchester, and of course those records seem lost.  After the suit, Winchester purchased his patent rights.  Later patents by Bayes may then have also been purchased from the perspective of once burned, twice shy.  I doubt, but can’t prove any of it, that he was not a regular employee of Winchester.

Tim

WACA Member
December 12, 2019 - 4:05 pm

tim tomlinson said
Maverick,  the patent number is 86,723.  Also, I strongly suspect that at the time this patent was filed, Bayes was an independent person.  He sued Winchester, and of course those records seem lost.  After the suit, Winchester purchased his patent rights.  Later patents by Bayes may then have also been purchased from the perspective of once burned, twice shy.  I doubt, but can’t prove any of it, that he was not a regular employee of Winchester.

Tim  

Tim,

Now that you mention it, I recall possibly reading about this in Williamson’s book. As I recall it, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Bayes obviously was not a regular employee, but as inventor’s go, neither was John M. Browning. What exact role Bayes played, I don’t know but just like Browning, they had a working relationship. 

Here is the images for the patent.

1-1.jpgImage Enlarger1B.jpgImage Enlarger2-1.jpgImage Enlarger3-1.jpgImage Enlarger

You’ll note in the patent description that it is not assigned to Winchester. But the sight patent I mentioned earlier is assigned to WRACo. So I imagine they came to some kind of arrangement. Which interesting enough is the same thing they did with John M. Browning.

Sincerely,

Maverick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, cj57, Manuel, deerhunter, SureShot
Guest(s) 183
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057