Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 100 semi-auto firing 2 rounds full auto
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 19, 2022 - 4:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I bought a model 100 in .308 caliber in March 2021.   Due to the ammo shortage, I didn’t get to shoot until several months later.  I found and installed a vintage weaver K-3 scope, and the rifle looks great.

To make a long story short, the rifle will now fire 2 rounds (full auto) when shooting.   It didn’t start out like that.  I put about 40 rounds through the gun before this started happening.

I had previously called the Winchester Product Service telephone number, 1-800-852-5734, and was advised that the original firing pin recall had been taken care of for my serial number (serial # 899XX).  The new pin was installed by On Target, Inc. in 2019 according the Winchester representative I spoke with. 

I’ve not disassembled the rifle yet to verify the firing pin repair, or otherwise exam the internals.

My question is, if it’s not the firing pin, what then could be causing the rifle to fire twice?   The box magazine is marked 284 but functions fine for .308 rounds, and I cannot see any type of connection between the magazine and the full auto problem.  At any rate, I plan to get the correct magazine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
April 19, 2022 - 10:00 pm

Hi Joe!  Welcome and “Just the facts…”  First with “excuse me”, but you may well have your answer before you!  Wrong magazine.  Before going into any convoluted research exercises or worse, messing with the rifle itself beyond good cleaning, seems to me you need to try the functioning with the correct magazine.  Possibly to sell that .284 mag with a bit extra $ to purchase the .308 magazine.  Your mismatch mag likely more valuable than .308. – Just a thought from definite non-gunsmith! 

Finally, Joe, the fact… I never experience such problems with my Model 88 and the proper .308 Mag! (Humor alert!) 

Good Luck & Best!  

John

WACA Guest
April 20, 2022 - 8:38 pm

Thank you, John.  I’m planning to get the proper magazine, anyway, and we’ll have to see it that is the solution.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 12
April 22, 2022 - 6:07 am

I had one years ago in .243 that did that a couple of times.  Both times were while sighting in a scope, using sandbag rests.  Both times it fired only twice even though there were more rounds in the magazine, so it was not a total runaway.  I think that in a good solid rest, concentrating on crosshairs and trigger pull, I might have caused the second shot by not gripping the rifle firmly.  A recoil bounce.  I know that when I held the grip firmly, and pulled the rifle back into my shoulder, I could not make it double.

I don’t know what the “rate of fire” is when this happens, but it is faster than anything I fired in the Army.

Good luck, and I hope you figure it out.

POE

WACA Guest
April 26, 2022 - 9:09 pm

tx4445 said
I had one years ago in .243 that did that a couple of times.  Both times were while sighting in a scope, using sandbag rests.  Both times it fired only twice even though there were more rounds in the magazine, so it was not a total runaway.  I think that in a good solid rest, concentrating on crosshairs and trigger pull, I might have caused the second shot by not gripping the rifle firmly.  A recoil bounce.  I know that when I held the grip firmly, and pulled the rifle back into my shoulder, I could not make it double.

I don’t know what the “rate of fire” is when this happens, but it is faster than anything I fired in the Army.

Good luck, and I hope you figure it out.

POE  

Those are the exact conditions under which my double-tap occurs.  I’ll try some offhand shooting to see if it continues.  Thank you for the input.

WACA Guest
December 26, 2023 - 6:39 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED.   At least I think it is. 

Took the trigger assembly apart and cleaned a significant amount of gunk, which I think was caused by dirty, cheap ammo. (AGUILA brand).  Fired a dozen rounds of Federal and Winchester ammo with no further problems.    Semi-auto sporting rifles are a rare breed, and I after disassembly and re-assembly, I think I can understand why.  Some steps to re-assembly require 3 hands, I think.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
December 30, 2023 - 3:26 pm

Good job, Joe. I not a gunsmith but I know to start with a good cleaning when things don’t work right. Many issues disappear with the gunk or are solved by proper lubrication.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forestburgh, NY USA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 18
March 28, 2024 - 1:18 pm

I have been collecting the model 100 for many years and I have hunted with one since 1965. I never have had the double fire issue with any of mine nor have I ever had a firing pin failure. Two issues I have had with these fine SA rifles are failure to extract and failure to eject, both are separate issues and both have always been resolved with a deep cleaning.

Semi Auto sporting rifles such as the 100 are not normally heavily fired and most of these are basically deer and big game rifles. No offence to deer hunters but most are not usually gun buffs knowledgeable about the inner workings of these SA actions. Safe to say that most hunters will use their rifles for the hunting season and give it a basic cleaning before placing it back on the rack or in the safe. Basic meaning clean the bore and wipe it down but rarely ever is the action removed from the stock where the real cleaning begins. I have done the firing pin recall on all 7 of my 100s and it is not a simple task but well worth the time because I got to see where the issues arise from. Dirty gas tubes, sludge build up in the chamber and locking lugs and old and dirty grease that has dried in the extractors and ejectors. Cheap, usually military type of ammo is also a culprit. At the neck of the chamber I find a burn ring where the bullet enters the lands and grooves, blow back I suspect, and this causes the case to stick and the extractor to be overridden. After I address all the dirt and dried grease my guns function flawlessly. My original 100 I bought new back in 1965 and have hunted with every year since probably does not have 300 rounds fired through it. I have a few that might not have more than 20 rounds fired since new and even they were dirty inside. I can’t stress the need to clean and the need to use the proper oils enough and very sparingly. Oils attract dirt and debris and that clogs up the works.

Olin/Winchester is still honoring the firing pin recall to this day on guns that are now 50-64 years old and it is a rather tedious process but still an active recall.

Guns being deep cleaned and new and old firing pins. The cracked stock shows how NOT to do things.100s.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2425.jpgImage Enlargerpix689344603.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
March 28, 2024 - 7:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Most rifle chambers will develop a carbon ring in the barrel at the end of the case.  Everyone should clean this out periodically.  They make chamber gauges to measure your chamber.  With this knowledge you can trim your cases to a more exact length to reduce the size of the ring.  Some operating space is needed. Maybe about .020″.  A bore scope will show you the space but not get an accurate measurement.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 29
April 2, 2024 - 5:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I was browsing eBay for Model 100 related items and came across this leaflet.

I find it interesting that Winchester actually provided instructions/explanation about the potential “doubling”.

I wonder if other semi-automatic models had a similar warning leaflet.

Model-100-Sighting-In-Leaflet-v.jpgImage EnlargerModel-100-Sighting-In-Leaflet-2-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 159
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250