Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Looking for info on this minty 1894 30 WCF mfg'd 1897 (i think)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 14, 2023 - 7:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

This is not mine yet but I am considering purchasing it. Seller wont say how much he wants other than he turned down an offer of 2k.

Model 1894, serial # 32304.  I’ve gotten some conflicting manufacture dates online but I believe it was manufactured in 1897.

The rifle is chambered in 30 WCF and is a takedown model. The wood is very nice, a lot nicer than any other similar example I’ve been able to google from auction sites or Gunbroker. The bluing is still in very good condition and I don’t see any indications of it being refinished.  The sights are stamped Marbles Gladstone Mich. USA. Not sure if they are original or not?

There is number on the underside that looks to be electropenciled. M260507237101. No idea what that may have been for.

Any idea of realistic value on this guy?

win1Image Enlarger

win2Image Enlarger

win3Image Enlarger

win4Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 14, 2023 - 6:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I sent you an email with my initial evaluation of that Model 1894 ELW Take Down rifle.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
March 14, 2023 - 6:57 pm

Allen907 said
There is number on the underside that looks to be electropenciled. M260507237101. No idea what that may have been for.

To prove it belonged to Bubba. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 16
March 15, 2023 - 3:56 am

clarence said

Allen907 said

To prove it belonged to Bubba. 

That is a pretty specific sequence for that purpose! 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 592
March 15, 2023 - 4:54 am

Folks,  At one time I was active duty and lived on post most of my career.  Every post required registering all firearms with the Provost Marshal and if you had a firearm that did not have a serial number, you were required to engrave your driver’s license or another identifying yet unique number on the firearm.  They would provide the electro pencil for such purpose.  For me the sequence of numbers would begin with a T.  Luckily I never had any with me that did not already have a serial number.  I found the inner workings of the system, once, as well.  I registered a recently acquired low numbered Winchester Model 1873.  A half hour later I was still waiting for final approval and asked the SGT what was up.  It “came up hot” on the national stolen firearms list.  Finally it was approved as the number equated to a stolen Luger vs. the Winchester Model 1873.  Every firearm registered on at least Army posts was entered into a data base to see if it was stolen.  The Army regulation stated each post commander had to have a policy on firearms.  It did not say they had to register them, but everyone whose bases I was on did the same in keeping with the AR (Army Regulation).  It would seem logical from that this firearm may have been subject to the same or similar requirement.  Tim

NY
WACA Member
March 15, 2023 - 2:11 pm

tim tomlinson said It would seem logical from that this firearm may have been subject to the same or similar requirement.  Tim

But only IF it lacked a serial no!  And aside from certain low-cost .22s, there weren’t actually very many cartridge guns produced without serials.  But you will also hear of some police depts. recommending the same…just as they also tell the public that nobody needs a gun for self-defense, because protecting the public is their job!  Why would anyone with his head screwed on straight accept advice from such a source? 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 592
March 15, 2023 - 2:55 pm

Clarence,  That was the best I could plumb from my experiences.  Agree that at one time various police agencies advised similar markings “to deter thefts” and it seems some insurance companies may have as well.  I am thinking Dad etched his license number on various power tools at some entity suggestion.  Remember, too, any bureaucrat can and will carry things too far!  Only a guess of course, but the number of digits tends to look like a driver’s license.  Tim

NY
WACA Member
March 15, 2023 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

tim tomlinson said   Agree that at one time various police agencies advised similar markings “to deter thefts” and it seems some insurance companies may have as well.

What a joke!  Yes, of course, burglars always examine property for IDs before stealing anything.  Just like they won’t steal a bolt-action rifle if the bolt is missing.  I’ve never heard any so-called “public service message” from a governmental entity that wasn’t the quintessence of brainlessness.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 15, 2023 - 5:52 pm

I have an 1887 shotgun that came out of Texas.  I was able to track down the original owner because his 80 yr. old nephew scratched his drivers license under the hand guard.  He told me it was because of the vandalism problem so close to the border.  I’m sure glad he did it and at least hid it.

Winchester-shotgun-013.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
March 15, 2023 - 8:20 pm

Chuck said I’m sure glad he did it and at least hid it.

Anybody who believes they need to do this, can find an unobtrusive location on the gun to do it, under the BP, under the forearm, etc.  You found out something you didn’t know, but what good did it do the original owner?  I doubt the recovery rate of guns smuggled across the border is very high.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
March 16, 2023 - 2:45 pm

If that gun letters with a checkered stock I want it for $2000.00 or close or maybe even double that

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., mrcvs, JWA, deerhunter, tim tomlinson, Win61, TXGunNut, Papa_Chavez, wclary
Guest(s) 130
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2350
twobit: 2305
mrcvs: 1727