Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Just picked up a 1981 Trapper in the box unfired....until later today
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 28, 2017 - 2:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

It’s a Model 1894 made in 1981 ?

Man had it in his safe in the box since New and never fired it. Not a mark on it.  This is the pre safety 16″. I’m excited to have it. Paid $650 – which seemed fair. Thoughts?

https://secure.shoeboxapp.com/gallery/d0ba443fa90d13e9c6327d1ed28e0041

WACA Guest
May 28, 2017 - 10:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Shoots perfectly, accurate – a nice addition to the collection. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 28, 2017 - 11:21 pm

I sold a similar 98% gun for about that earlier this year so I’d say you did well.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
May 29, 2017 - 1:45 am

I would say you did particularly well considering un-fired and with original box. 

Being 36 years old and un-fired, not sure I would have fired it. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Guest
May 29, 2017 - 3:24 am

I thought about not firing it, but it’s not a show piece like the weapons in your post – it’s a plain Jane Trapper. I’m going to enjoy it – and it will always be worth what I paid for it.  It’s my second 94. My other is a 1967 Canadian Centennial carbine – which is a great range gun, but too heavy in the field for me.

Forum Posts: 2119
May 29, 2017 - 2:16 pm

It was test fired at the factory so you can take “unfired” out of the equation.  It is not the “unfired” part which adds value, it is the lack of handling marks on it.  So, having said that, you can shoot it to your heart’s content without devaluing it, just don’t scratch it……..

They are fun rifles and if it were mine I would certainly enjoy it as it was intended.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
May 30, 2017 - 2:38 am

To me, the relatively short production 16″ barrel (modern) Trapper ‘pre CBS’; a definite ‘sweet spot’ of that era. I’ve accumulated three such stock (+/- early eighties) models as yous. Also a ‘pre CBS’ Wrangler”, large loop lever config. The predecessor of all, seems a Legendary Lawman Commemorative from about 1977. Purchased the Lawman specifically as the only option to get a factory 16″ barrel config. Other than obviously specific features, they all seem from the same mold. Though the ‘pregnant-lever Wrangler seems a bit strange I’m happy to have all.
Congrats on a desirable Trapper model!
My take

WACA Guest
May 30, 2017 - 3:22 am

JWA said
It was test fired at the factory so you can take “unfired” out of the equation.  It is not the “unfired” part which adds value, it is the lack of handling marks on it.  So, having said that, you can shoot it to your heart’s content without devaluing it, just don’t scratch it……..

They are fun rifles and if it were mine I would certainly enjoy it as it was intended.

Best Regards,  

To me, lack of evidence of firing to the bore and breach adds uniqueness (thus value) to an older gun just like lack of evidence of handling/damage to the outside does. 

Having said that though, I would have a difficult time not firing the gun in spite of it’s like new appearance. 

Forum Posts: 2119
May 30, 2017 - 5:33 am

Kevin Jones said

To me, lack of evidence of firing to the bore and breach adds uniqueness (thus value) to an older gun just like lack of evidence of handling/damage to the outside does.    

Granted, and agree 100%.  My point is with the actual (and improper) term “unfired” which is commonly misused.  All Winchester rifles were test fired at least once and sometimes multiple times.  

Just because a Winchester rifle does not appear to be fired does not mean it was unfired as all were before shipping.  So, the lack of evidence of firing is certainly a plus but in actual use the rifle can be fired multiple times and cleaned without obvious evidence of firing since there was no Winchester sold that was unfired.  The real question is how many times can it be fired before it is no longer “unfired”?

Keep in mind that is only the opinion of this OCD stickler of the English language.

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
May 30, 2017 - 1:18 pm

JWA said

Kevin Jones said

Granted, and agree 100%.  My point is with the actual (and improper) term “unfired” which is commonly misused.  All Winchester rifles were test fired at least once and sometimes multiple times.  

Just because a Winchester rifle does not appear to be fired does not mean it was unfired as all were before shipping.  So, the lack of evidence of firing is certainly a plus but in actual use the rifle can be fired multiple times and cleaned without obvious evidence of firing since there was no Winchester sold that was unfired.  The real question is how many times can it be fired before it is no longer “unfired”?

Keep in mind that is only the opinion of this OCD stickler of the English language.

Best Regards,  

I Agree- Test firing Winchesters all day would be a pretty sweet job to have!

Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10854
May 30, 2017 - 3:05 pm

First, I completely agree with Jeff… there is no such thing as an “unfired” Winchester firearm, and the use of that term is improper.

According to one of the many reference documents I have, every single Winchester rifle was fired with a proof load (earning its proof mark stamps), and then they were fired another 6 – 12 shots to set the sights.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
May 31, 2017 - 10:22 am

“Unfired” in an internet gun ad should be stated as “unfired since factory test fire”. Assuming the gun is in true NIB condition I don’t have a problem with saying that. Of course most internet ads are just full of BS and puffery anyway.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306