Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
I've inherited a Winchester 1894 30-30, would love your expertise!
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 10, 2024 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Greetings from snowy Ontario!   First time poster, so I hope I am posting the right information for you. Smile

I have a Winchester 1894 30-30, half octagon barrel, that has been passed down from my great grandfather, to my father, to me. The serial # is 148030, which using this site’s identifier puts it at 1902 (my father advised it was “circa 1899”, so that is close). 

I am not a gun collector, so while I love it and have kept it from a “family antique” perspective, I would really like to see it go to someone who would appreciate it for what it is. I’ve had keen interest from a few collectors to buy it, as well as a gun shop interested in putting it on consignment, but before I do anything I’d like to be armed with better knowledge of it’s particulars and it’s value – so would love any feedback from you all, the experts! 

Doing some basic reading revealed to me that the tang site on it was likely not original, so we took that off and the Winchester copyright plate is now exposed (see photo).   The compass on one side of the stock was also a head-scratcher for the gun shop owner, so may also be an add-on.  My husband (who IS a gun guy) fired it and it does fire.  Beyond that I really don’t know much about it.  I’ve uploaded photos in keeping with what I’ve seen others provide in their posts, but if there is anything missing that would help you, just let me know.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts & expertise.

Martha

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10865
January 11, 2024 - 2:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Martha,

Your Model 1894 is a Sporting Rifle with an optional 1/2 octagon barrel and 1/2 magazine. Other than the aftermarket compass inletted in the butt stock, it is in remarkedly nice condition.  Per the original Winchester records, it was manufactured in late May, 1902.  The Marbles tang sight was added after the fact, but it is period correct to the rifle.

I do not know what the value would be in Canadian Province where you live, but in your shoes, I would be inclined to keep it in the family and pass it down to the next generation in your family.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6404
January 11, 2024 - 2:41 am

Martha Hamill saidThe compass on one side of the stock was also a head-scratcher for the gun shop owner, so may also be an add-on.  

Your gun-shop owner must have been born yesterday.  When I was a HS kid reading all the gun mags I could lay my hands on, ads for these compasses appeared in almost every issue, & only the anticipated difficulty of installing one stopped me (fortunately!) from ordering one for my .22.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 139
January 11, 2024 - 3:32 pm

I agree with Bert Please don’t sell it. You stated your husband was a gun guy. So if you have no family to someday pass it to maybe he does.

My most prized rifles belonged to my Grandmother. A well used winchester model 1885 that will be passed to my grandson someday.

He knows to story of where its been and whose it was. we shoot it at least once a year.

If you sell it you will never have it again and the story ends.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 76
January 11, 2024 - 4:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I agree with Bert and Cranky2, keep it. A family heirloom is priceless. Once you sell it, you will regret it. Shoot it and enjoy it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1100
January 11, 2024 - 5:13 pm

Welcome Martha from (snowy) Egmondville Ont., about 1hr. north of London. Where are You located? 20240111_120808.jpgImage Enlarger20240111_120815.jpgImage Enlarger20240111_120824.jpgImage Enlarger20240111_120834.jpgImage EnlargerThat is a good looking ’94, except for the compass it would be a highly collectable Winchester. Like was said , if it has significant family value it should be kept. As far as value if You got in the $2,500.00 range You would be well paid for it. If it didn’t have the compass , probably i the $3,500.00 – $4,000.00 . Kinda like this one which has a little more finish than Your’s, and no cmpass.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
January 11, 2024 - 8:03 pm

Thank you everyone!  And thank you especially Bert for confirming the gun’s information, and that it is in nice condition apart from the added compass (which I expected was the case).  

The backstory on this gun is entertaining:  it was won as a prize by my great-grandfather when he was a young teen (my dad says he was 12!) for selling ladies cold cream. Laugh  Bert’s May 1902 dating makes sense as he would’ve been about that age then.  I don’t know how much use it saw in it’s early days, but it’s been mostly stored unused in our cabin for at least the last 50 years.

My husband and I are entering those “downsizing years” and we have no children or family to pass the Winchester on to, otherwise I surely would keep it in the family.   This is why I’m entertaining passing it on to a collector.  Bert – Absolutely I wouldn’t expect you to know value in the Canadian marketplace, but if you have any thoughts on range in US dollars in your marketplace, it would be most appreciated (inbox message me if you prefer).

Henry – I’m not too far from you, Orangeville area.  Your value estimate is in line with what the gun shop estimated (but less than a private collector has offered me).  Still good to get everyone’s thoughts & concensus.  Shame about the compass, I know.Cry

I love antiques and I’m really glad for all the knowledge you all are imparting, in an area that I knew little about!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10865
January 11, 2024 - 10:40 pm

Hello again Martha,

In the U.S. collector market it would sell for approximately $2,000, possibly a little more.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

North D/FW
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 273
January 12, 2024 - 12:30 am

Martha Hamill said
Thank you everyone!  And thank you especially Bert for confirming the gun’s information, and that it is in nice condition apart from the added compass (which I expected was the case).  

The backstory on this gun is entertaining:  it was won as a prize by my great-grandfather when he was a young teen (my dad says he was 12!) for selling ladies cold cream. Laugh  Bert’s May 1902 dating makes sense as he would’ve been about that age then.  I don’t know how much use it saw in it’s early days, but it’s been mostly stored unused in our cabin for at least the last 50 years.

My husband and I are entering those “downsizing years” and we have no children or family to pass the Winchester on to, otherwise I surely would keep it in the family.   This is why I’m entertaining passing it on to a collector.  Bert – Absolutely I wouldn’t expect you to know value in the Canadian marketplace, but if you have any thoughts on range in US dollars in your marketplace, it would be most appreciated (inbox message me if you prefer).

Henry – I’m not too far from you, Orangeville area.  Your value estimate is in line with what the gun shop estimated (but less than a private collector has offered me).  Still good to get everyone’s thoughts & consensus.  Shame about the compass, I know.Cry

I love antiques and I’m really glad for all the knowledge you all are imparting, in an area that I knew little about!

A nice looking rifle! I kind of like the compass, that stuff doesn’t bother me really or scare me away, but I know it goes against the grain of absolute original collectibles. Good luck with it whatever you do!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 139
January 12, 2024 - 4:12 pm

Martha

I understand not having anyone to pass it down to. Please take the time to write down the guns story and pass it to whom ever is lucky enough to be the next owner. I’m lucky enough to hold a few in trust to hopefully pass down to grand kids and great grand kids. They have a story to tell about people they will never know.

NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6404
January 12, 2024 - 4:27 pm

cranky2 said Please take the time to write down the guns story and pass it to whom ever is lucky enough to be the next owner. 

And don’t leave out the one about grandad loosing his bearings in a sudden snow squall, but saved by the compass in his stock! 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, tsbccut, rwsem, Steven Gabrielli, oldcrankyyankee, SureShot, MNwin
Guest(s) 125
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6404
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4606
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4267
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2309
mrcvs: 1729