Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Interesting m1895
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 30, 2021 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Worse part of refinish work is fit of wood to rcvr.–very sloppy.  But I like looks of it without handguard.  Wonder why they were used anyway?  They’re put on military rifles that might be fired rapidly enough to overheat brl, but that’s not a concern with a sporting rifle.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 30, 2021 - 2:59 pm

Good point Clarence. It’s all over for me when refinished but I agree about the looks.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
January 30, 2021 - 3:41 pm

It is an interesting piece but the refinishing kills it for me too.  Also, the Redfield receiver sight and the added sling swivels put it in the shooter category for me.  Were it not refinished, it would be an acceptable shooter for me with the receiver sight and the swivels.  But refinished as it has been, I couldn’t even stomach it as a shooter.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
January 30, 2021 - 3:44 pm

steve004 said
It is an interesting piece but the refinishing kills it for me too.  Also, the Redfield receiver sight and the added sling swivels put it in the shooter category for me.  Were it not refinished, it would be an acceptable shooter for me with the receiver sight and the swivels.  But refinished as it has been, I couldn’t even stomach it as a shooter.    

Edit:  also, he advertises it as a “.30 Carbine” with regard to caliber/gauge.  He never says .30/40 anywhere in the description.  Now, if it were truly chambered in .30 Carbine, that would be interesting.

I wish he would have shown a copy of the museum letter.

RickC
WACA Guest
January 30, 2021 - 3:47 pm

steve004 said

Edit:  also, he advertises it as a “.30 Carbine” with regard to caliber/gauge.  He never says .30/40 anywhere in the description.  Now, if it were truly chambered in .30 Carbine, that would be interesting.

I wish he would have shown a copy of the museum letter.  

Maybe that’s why it’s not shown for this one ??‍♂️

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 30, 2021 - 5:15 pm

Somebody wore out a perfectly good buffing wheel on this carbine. Pretty finish on the metal but zero collector value. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
January 30, 2021 - 5:21 pm

TXGunNut said
Somebody wore out a perfectly good buffing wheel on this carbine. Pretty finish on the metal but zero collector value. 

Mike  

Yet somebody will buy it who thinks that mirror polish is “beautiful,” & would look away from a brown gun!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 30, 2021 - 5:27 pm

clarence said

Yet somebody will buy it who thinks that mirror polish is “beautiful,” & would look away from a brown gun!  

I’m OK with that, Clarence. More brown guns for you and me! When I look at this carbine I see a gun that was probably neglected and the finish gone or covered in rust. I like guns that were carefully used and respected. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
RickC
WACA Guest
January 30, 2021 - 6:28 pm

TXGunNut said

I’m OK with that, Clarence. More brown guns for you and me! When I look at this carbine I see a gun that was probably neglected and the finish gone or covered in rust. I like guns that were carefully used and respected. 

Mike  

Hey Michael don’t forget me in the brown gun group! I’m with you guys ?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., pdog72, 33wcf, deerhunter
Guest(s) 157
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250