Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Interesting 1894 special order P.G. carbine with, "etc. etc." factory letter
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 6, 2022 - 10:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Sorry – I posted this earlier today but put it in the survey section by mistake.

Here’s a very neat ’94 carbine with lots of special order features.  I love pistol grip special order carbines.  I love 3/4 magazines too.  This one comes with a very interesting museum letter.  I’m confident I haven’t seen, “Etc., Etc.” before on a museum letter before.  Has anyone else?  Maybe I’ve seen one, “Etc.” but I can’t recall for sure.  I would speculate that were I the factory worker recording firearms in the ledger, when this one came down the line… given the limited space allowed on the ledger line… I would be tempted to record what I could and then just add the two, “Etc.”  Very cool.  I suspect this is as Austin suggests, a one of a kind piece:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922560578

Interestingly, it is pretty darn close to the checkered P.G. carbine I have with 3/4 magazine, shotgun butt and Lyman No. 21.  Mine does not have the sling eyelets nor does it have the extremely rare feature (particularly for a carbine) of no rear sight seat.  Of course, mine IS a .32 Special Cool

http://i.imgur.com/rTbUFGj.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/ChhV291.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i.imgur.com/7JFWwqq.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
February 6, 2022 - 11:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The letter will say etc.because the ledger page says etc. Just to much to write, I think?

I had it wrong the first time so I changed the post. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 7, 2022 - 12:23 am

Maybe the etc. means just like the ones above?

WACA Member
February 7, 2022 - 12:53 am

Regarding, “Etc.,Etc.” – I do believe that was what was exactly written in the ledger.  I’m still thinking there were too many special order features to list on that one line and the Etc. was there by necessity.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
February 7, 2022 - 5:57 pm

You’d have to request a copy of the ledger page to see what is really going. Or drive to the Cody Museum and have a look see!

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
February 7, 2022 - 8:00 pm

Maverick said
You’d have to request a copy of the ledger page to see what is really going. Or drive to the Cody Museum and have a look see!

Sincerely,

Maverick  

I agree – this would be necessary to know exactly what is going on.  I will say I can’t believe the etc.’s are a function of the Cody research staff.  I can’t believe that there would be specific special order features listed in the ledger, that they will not specify in the their letter, but rather simply write, “Etc.”

Anyone else like this carbine?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1585
February 7, 2022 - 8:09 pm

steve004 said

I agree – this would be necessary to know exactly what is going on.  I will say I can’t believe the etc.’s are a function of the Cody research staff.  I can’t believe that there would be specific special order features listed in the ledger, that they will not specify in the their letter, but rather simply write, “Etc.”

Agreed. They generally state exactly what the ledger page states. What is amazing is when you see letters that are two to three pages in length, based simply on 1-2 lines of the ledger.

But if considering such a purchase I’d go with the old Ronald Regan statement, “Trust, but Verify.”

It is a nice carbine.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
February 8, 2022 - 12:38 am

steve004 said

steve004 said

I like it – I like any carbine with condition if it is right -and, if it has special order features which are verifiable, I like it even more. The research staff only uses information which is in the ledger, no more, no less. I have never seen the “etc” on a letter but many of you guys have seen more guns and letters than me. I have seen ditto marks (“) for an entry in the ledger when the previous serial number was configured exactly the same as the entry. Here’s a sweet little 92 carbine that letters with the rifle butt and caped pistol grip.

92-carbine.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
February 10, 2022 - 12:05 am

Burt Humphrey said

steve004 said

I like it – I like any carbine with condition if it is right -and, if it has special order features which are verifiable, I like it even more. The research staff only uses information which is in the ledger, no more, no less. I have never seen the “etc” on a letter but many of you guys have seen more guns and letters than me. I have seen ditto marks (“) for an entry in the ledger when the previous serial number was configured exactly the same as the entry. Here’s a sweet little 92 carbine that letters with the rifle butt and caped pistol grip.

92-carbine.jpgImage Enlarger  

Burt – You’ve posted photos of this carbine before – and I never tire of seeing it.  I think I prefer it without checkering.  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 10, 2022 - 2:09 am

Steve, I tend to agree, there something about those high condition plain pistol grips that’s very appealing. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
February 10, 2022 - 2:13 am

Steve – I agree totally – I prefer any carbine without checkering. Checkering on any 92, if correct, is out of sight ($$$)!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: twobit, long spur hollow, JWA, Bill Jokela, 86Win, Green River Gus, Clem K
Guest(s) 192
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2304
mrcvs: 1727