Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
How negatively would an import mark affect value of a model 1894 SRC?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 2, 2017 - 3:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Over the weekend, at a very small local gun show, I saw an interesting Model 1894 SRC, .30wcf with “CHERRY’S, INC, GSO, NC”. neatly stamped in very small letters on the right side of the barrel.  I did some research and found that Cherry’s provides import services, and they state on their web site that this is the import stamp they place on the gun when imported here to the US. The 1894 SRC has serial number 438xxx, (all I can remember, and wrote it down and will get it when I get home). The gun is in amazing condition, with virtually all original finish on the wood with no marks, as well as about 98% blue on the barrel and mag tube, and about 85% blue on the receiver.  The rear site is a Winchester three leaf express sight, and the front is a marbles with ivory bead.  

The seller is asking $1,275. Is this a good price considering the import mark?  How negatively does the import mark affect the value?  Again, the mark is very neatly done in very small letters on the right side of the barrel.

Thanks,

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
May 2, 2017 - 3:44 pm

Generally, an import mark is a sale killer. The gun has been defaced. This is my opinion and others may differ. I think they started putting import marks on guns in or around 1968. I have a US M1 Thompson submachinegun that was imported to the US in 1963 through Interarmco and it has no import marks. The original paperwork does not state the point of origin. This gun was made around 1910 and that is a good price for an unaltered M1894 carbine in said condition. You might want to contact Cherrys and get some info. They are still in business.   Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1382
May 2, 2017 - 4:10 pm

thanks Big Larry. I’ll need to contact Cherry’s.  It would be interesting to see where it was imported from, and when.  I got the sellers business card, and if nothing more, can at least let him know. He wasn’t sure why it is marked with the name on the right side of the barrel.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
May 2, 2017 - 7:08 pm

tionesta1 said
thanks Big Larry. I’ll need to contact Cherry’s.  It would be interesting to see where it was imported from, and when.  I got the sellers business card, and if nothing more, can at least let him know. He wasn’t sure why it is marked with the name on the right side of the barrel.  

Generally, the name stamped on the gun is the importer. Too bad that carbine is a little late for a letter. That might have shown where it went originally. Very interesting though.  Big Larry

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, tsillik, TXGunNut, TR, morsece, SureShot, Paul K
Guest(s) 127
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160