Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
FOUND; Winchester 1873 SRC 38-40
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 18, 2017 - 4:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Oh, and 1600 reloaded 25-20 cartridges.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
October 19, 2017 - 3:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

It’s easy to explain why I like the 32WCF, Shrapnel. It’s stingy with the lead and powder on top of being fun to shoot. My only issue with the cartridge is that I like to fire BP every chance I get and if a 32 bore is slightly pitted it seems to foul much more quickly than a 38(40) in similar condition. My 1873 in 38WCF actually seems to shoot a bit better after a fouling shot or two and my 92 seems happy in most any condition. My 32WCF started downhill after about 3 shots. I know there are ways to minimize fouling but in the end my 32WCF is a lot more fun after I had it relined but my (slightly) rough old 38WCF’s still plug along nicely.

All good points, Wincacher. #2 and #5 were news to me but worth considering. I’ve heard the point about whether the 38WCF shoots flatter than the 44WCF argued but can’t recall if the difference actually amounts to a hill of beans. I seldom have more than 100 32WCF or 38WCF rounds loaded at any given time, I enjoy shooting them too much.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
October 19, 2017 - 4:45 am

We probably shoot more than you do. Today, Mike Venturino and I shot up several hundred rounds of just 38-40 at steel cowboy action targets. I don’t know how many thousands of rounds I have loaded up, but it is a few. I need a couple Dillon 650’s to keep up. Components go fast, so you need to have plenty on hand…

PlFVg1r.jpgImage Enlarger

oRCNqDe.jpgImage Enlarger

tXPeU7B.jpgImage Enlarger

JtxKUuj.jpgImage Enlarger

UMfxxT8.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
October 19, 2017 - 3:07 pm

We probably shoot more than you do….-Shrapnel

That’s a bit of an understatement, lol. Actually the majority of my shooting is on the trap and skeet fields and little of that with Winchesters so I don’t talk about it much here. I don’t load shotshells so I’ll have more time to cast & load for my old Winchesters and the odd Colt or Marlin now and then. I load in small quantities as most of my loading and shooting is load development and I don’t do the comp shooting thing any more so my lone Dillon 550 is seldom uncovered.

Do y’all buy or cast all those thousands of bullets? I know both of you cast a bit but keeping up with an action shooting habit would be a bit of an undertaking unless you have a Magma setup or something similar.

I guess I need to get serious about this retirement thing, I need to spend more time in my loading room. Pics of your loading room remind me that I have a pretty well-stocked one around here somewhere. 😉

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
October 19, 2017 - 4:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Shrapnel said
We probably shoot more than you do. Today, Mike Venturino and I shot up several hundred rounds of just 38-40 at steel cowboy action targets. I don’t know how many thousands of rounds I have loaded up, but it is a few. I need a couple Dillon 650’s to keep up. Components go fast, so you need to have plenty on hand…

You make me look like a piker though I keep my 1 lb. powder canisters in a separate detached building.  After a few hours at the range yesterday I whittled my 32-20 supply down to 1400.  Plus I only load hyphenated calibers.

DSCN0145-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
October 20, 2017 - 12:02 am

TXGunNut said
We probably shoot more than you do….-Shrapnel

That’s a bit of an understatement, lol. Actually the majority of my shooting is on the trap and skeet fields and little of that with Winchesters so I don’t talk about it much here. I don’t load shotshells so I’ll have more time to cast & load for my old Winchesters and the odd Colt or Marlin now and then. I load in small quantities as most of my loading and shooting is load development and I don’t do the comp shooting thing any more so my lone Dillon 550 is seldom uncovered.

Do y’all buy or cast all those thousands of bullets? I know both of you cast a bit but keeping up with an action shooting habit would be a bit of an undertaking unless you have a Magma setup or something similar.

I guess I need to get serious about this retirement thing, I need to spend more time in my loading room. Pics of your loading room remind me that I have a pretty well-stocked one around here somewhere. 😉  

Shotgun is another unending project. Boxes of reloaded on shelves and flats of new stuff on the floor. Everything is just waiting to get shot…

t8y4jMh.jpgImage Enlarger

p1EeoB1.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
October 20, 2017 - 12:19 am

Shotshell storage is a bit of an issue, not enough room unless I use that 40′ container out back. Tried that for awhile but gave all my hulls away when I realized it made no sense for me to load them. Down to about 15 flats of shotshells at the moment, haven’t seen a paycheck in awhile so I haven’t replaced any of the ones I’m busily shooting up. Laugh Figure I’ll just order a pallet in a few weeks and figure out where to put it when it gets here.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, Big Larry, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 173
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323