Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
First Purchase Review. 1873
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 4, 2022 - 1:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Peter,

From the pictures it looks like you did right. A antique 1873 rifle with an octagon barrel, full magazine, and a rifle butt is a good starter gun. The 38-40 is easy to load and fun to shoot.

Your gun has a good look, a surviivor, and as the new owner please keep it that way. Shooting and carrying will not down grade the gun, sand paper and cold blue will. The gun is only original once.

It doesn’t take a great bore to send a 38-40 bullet straight but you should check out the toggles, firing pin, hammer notches, and other internal parts if you are going to shoot it. Have fun with the hobby. 

Welcome to Winchester Arms Collectors Association. T/R

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 4, 2022 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I second what TR said.  Don’t mess it up.  I would slug the bore then order bullets .001″ over the measurement you get.  If there is any rifling left it most likely will shoot.  How accurate is unknown at this point.  Internally you are looking for missing, broken or cracked parts.  The hammer has several notches and you want to make sure each of them will hold the hammer in place.  Sometimes excessive wear can cause things not to work right.

Have fun.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
March 5, 2022 - 6:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It appears the original post has disappeared but I have an 1873 in 38-40 that I was very apprehensive about shooting. A bore scope showed a goodly amount of rough and missing rifling but my cast bullets sized at .401” found enough rifling to make it an acceptable and fun shooter. I hope yours shoots as well.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: winchester nix, Byron Russell
Guest(s) 199
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323